Montreal? Getting to SpringHill Marriott Hotel?

Not cruising related but everyone here is so knowledgeable I'm hoping someone has the answer. I'm flying into the Pierre Elliott Trudeau airport and staying at the SpringHill Marriott in Old Monteal. Looking for suggestions on getting from the airport to the hotel. Is a taxi our best bet? Or is there public transit? Any idea of cost? Thanks!

CC member Ephraim , a Montreal local and Inn keeper posted this on Feb 10th to a similar question. Hope this helps.

Taxi is $38 flat fare... same price for a mini van. Limo (not stretch) is $50. Both include all taxes, but not tip.

As the PP stated it is a flat rate of $38 +tip.

There is now a bus from the airport (#747) that will take you downtown then you could take the Metro (subway) into old Montreal.

That would be much cheaper but much longer.

Here is the website for our public transit http://www.stm.info/English/a-somm.htm

Have fun and enjoy our wonderful city!

CC member Ephraim , a Montreal local and Inn keeper posted this on Feb 10th to a similar question. Hope this helps.

Taxi is $38 flat fare... same price for a mini van. Limo (not stretch) is $50. Both include all taxes, but not tip.

Thanks for the quote. The bus at $8 a person is certainly possible, if you don't mind taking your luggage on and off the bus and then walking from the bus stop to the hotel. With luggage, especially with two bags... I wouldn't be in that bus, though.

Thanks for the replies. Its always nice to know how much cash to have on hand. Public transport might be an option, we kind of like buses! We're only there for 3 nights and are taking carry on with wheels. Bottom line is our transportation expenses are being reimbursed so the taxi might be the most convenient.

You will see a big sign for the 747 bus as you work your way out of the airport. You need Canadian $ to buy a ticket or you can use Canadian coins onboard. The bus stops are numbered. If you can manage your own luggage it certainly is a good deal. Look online to compare your hotel to the bus stops. You can look this all up on line.

Here's a good How To link: http://www.wikihow.com/Take-the-747-Express-Bus-in-Montreal

We took a taxi, just easier with 1 suitcase, 1 carry on, and 1 laptop case. Faster too and not having to figure out bus then metro then walking in a strange city. Taxi fare was $38 flat rate from airport to Springhill Marriott. Its that same flat rate from the airport to other destinations in Montreal. Return trip from Springhill to airport was not flat rate. Taxi rate is $3.30 just to get in the cab. Then $1.80 (I think)/km and .60 cents per minute. It was just under $39 by the time we returned to the airport, I think $38.80. Could be more if you got stuck in traffic at rush hour.

We took a taxi, just easier with 1 suitcase, 1 carry on, and 1 laptop case. Faster too and not having to figure out bus then metro then walking in a strange city. Taxi fare was $38 flat rate from airport to Springhill Marriott. Its that same flat rate from the airport to other destinations in Montreal. Return trip from Springhill to airport was not flat rate. Taxi rate is $3.30 just to get in the cab. Then $1.80 (I think)/km and .60 cents per minute. It was just under $39 by the time we returned to the airport, I think $38.80. Could be more if you got stuck in traffic at rush hour.

Did you get his licence number? It is ABSOLUTELY flat rate if you are in the flat rate zone. There is no exceptions as long as you are in the zone. The driver should be ashamed of himself.

Do the taxis in Montreal take charge cards?

They take MasterCard, Visa and Interac (NYCE). Note, as I have mentioned elsewhere, any card with a MC/Visa symbol is treated like a CC in Canada, you need a separate ATM/Debit card if you want to use the debit system.

Ephraim, I have the receipt that printed off his machine. It says "vignette" but I haven't the slightest idea what that translates to in English with a number 4659. And chauffeur 32528. Taxi Diamond. But what am I going to do now? I'm on the other side of the country and I don't speak French. Its not like I can complain! The taxi who picked us up at the airport did not have his meter running and I figured that's because its a flat fare. The one who picked us up at the Spring Hill Marriott did have the meter on. There was a sign on the back seat window that showed a map from the airport to Montreal and said it was $38. Also said something about minimum fare $16.25. But I don't read French other than cereal boxes so I had no way of knowing if the map and arrows were only the one direction - into Montreal. Bottom line the receipt is being expensed and the company that wanted me in Montreal is paying for it!

But this is good information for others who might be coming in and out of Montreal by taxi!

Ephraim, I have the receipt that printed off his machine. It says "vignette" but I haven't the slightest idea what that translates to in English with a number 4659. And chauffeur 32528. Taxi Diamond. But what am I going to do now? I'm on the other side of the country and I don't speak French. Its not like I can complain! The taxi who picked us up at the airport did not have his meter running and I figured that's because its a flat fare. The one who picked us up at the Spring Hill Marriott did have the meter on. There was a sign on the back seat window that showed a map from the airport to Montreal and said it was $38. Also said something about minimum fare $16.25. But I don't read French other than cereal boxes so I had no way of knowing if the map and arrows were only the one direction - into Montreal. Bottom line the receipt is being expensed and the company that wanted me in Montreal is paying for it!

But this is good information for others who might be coming in and out of Montreal by taxi!

I'm trying to collect some of those receipts and I'm going to go to the Taxi Bureau with them and the city's newspapers. The ones who come to pick up my guests at my B&B all know that it's flat fee and if the driver DARES to try anything they also know I will never call them again for a taxi, so they never try anything. But from the airport is a real problem.

The sign is supposed to be in both English and French and shows the outer limits of the $38 fixed-fee zone. The minimum charge from the airport is $16.25

Here is the sign...

tarifs_aeroport_mtl.gif

If anyone has a receipt showing a driver having cheated them, please digitize and email them to me. I'm collecting them!

• 2 weeks later...
Is this a charge of $38 per-person or per Taxi? How many persons can fit in the taxi for the trip to Montreal hotels with 1 or 2 bags each?

The $38 is flat per taxi. Three to four to a taxi, depend on luggage, but there are also mini-van taxis around and they are the same price. No extra charges. The limosines are $49.50. They aren't the stretch kind, just fancier town cars.

Thank you for your response. :D

ImOdd

The $38 is flat per taxi. Three to four to a taxi, depend on luggage, but there are also mini-van taxis around and they are the same price. No extra charges. The limosines are $49.50. They aren't the stretch kind, just fancier town cars.

This was very helpful. We have six going from Springhill to Trudeau first flight out. I assume the desk will be able to arrange transport in time? We will have the desk request a van 'real early' ugh.

Dennis

This was very helpful. We have six going from Springhill to Trudeau first flight out. I assume the desk will be able to arrange transport in time? We will have the desk request a van 'real early' ugh.

Dennis

Yes, they can. The taxi, even for a minivan is $38 flat. Be aware that you should be at the airport about two hours ahead of time. You have to check in, deposit your luggage, go through CATSA (Canadian Air Transport Security Authority), then you have to go through US CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) and then to your gate. If they have heightened security you then have to go through CATSA secondary screening again (it happens infrequently, but about a year and a half ago you got a free pat down and they went through your hand luggage manually.)

It all takes time. But on the other side of this is that when your plane lands in the US, your flight is considered domestic and you skip immigration in the US.

Archived