Washing clothes on ship

kdh12345

I'll just add if you have to iron anything, AND you're left handed ... practice ironing backwards at home before your cruise. The Ironing boards are set up for right handed people.

If you've never had the pleasure of ironing backwards ... it's quite fun. :rolleyes:

I'll just add if you have to iron anything, AND you're left handed ... practice ironing backwards at home before your cruise. The Ironing boards are set up for right handed people.

If you've never had the pleasure of ironing backwards ... it's quite fun. :rolleyes:

So what is else is new?!? It's a conspiracy against us lefties!

tooofunny11017.gif

Don't forget to check the iron for "schmutz" on it's face. Twice I ruined clothes just trying to iron them and ending up with big black smudge marks on the clothes. Both times some kind of black stuff was melted onto the iron. You would think after the first time I would have learned and checked before using the iron. But Nooooo..... fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. :rolleyes:

It was $3.00 for wash and $3.00 for the dryer on the Glory. I was in there ironing when a couple came in and asked and the man who was getting his laundry out of the dryer told them the prices and to go to guest services for quarters.

Just curious, how do you find out when they are doing this? Is it listed in the Fun Times?

Ours was $15 on the Freedom and usually mid week a flyer will be left on your bed - remember to roll tight - as previously stated we had 13 Ts, polos, shells, mens dress shirts - 2 summer pants - 3 shorts. You can get lots in if you do it right. Make sure to lay bag flat on bed when filling - if you pick up it will tear

Booked my 1st Carnival cruise for next February on the Magic. The laundry rooms are a great feature that RCCL does not have. How large are the w&d and how much clothes do they hold?

They are are a regular washer/dryer to do a full size load.

2797051760101962477yUqXLb_th.jpg

2525808070101962477OysFkN_th.jpg

Don't forget to check the iron for "schmutz" on it's face. Twice I ruined clothes just trying to iron them and ending up with big black smudge marks on the clothes. Both times some kind of black stuff was melted onto the iron. You would think after the first time I would have learned and checked before using the iron. But Nooooo..... fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. :rolleyes:

Good point ... I never think about checking that! Thanks for the tip!

I cruised on the Dream 2/26-3/5. The wash was $3, the dryer was $3, and the box of powdered soap was $1.25. (Dryer left clothes slightely damp)

I was up early so I threw my clothes in the washer, went back when they were finished washing, threw them in the dryer, went to breakfast with hubby, went back to the laundry room and waited one minute for the dryer to be done. It really was not a problem at all.

It worked out perfect and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything:)

I'm assuming the charges for having your laundry done for you is put on your SS card, correct?

Yep... for the bag that you turn over to your cabin steward... for the public laundry it's quarters in the machine...

:)

Just curious, how do you find out when they are doing this? Is it listed in the Fun Times?

They are listed in the fun times, but for the NEXT day. You get the FT on say a Tuesday night for Wednesday, it will tell you tmro, (Thursday), for the $15 or 20 dollar all you can fit in the bag laundry. with the listing sheet. One has to be watchful of the actual day.

and to agree, $3.00 each for wash and dry on the Triumph, Conquest and Fantasy. $15 for the bad and all you can stuff in it. One bag out, two bags back!!

While I sort of understand the "I'm on vacation, I don't want to do laundry" mentality, I guess I don't see it as any sort of big deal. How much effort is it to put your stuff in a machine, come back 30 minutes later to put it in another machine, then come back 45 minutes later to take it out". That last cruise was during Survivor season, so we started the laundry Thursday evening, watched the show, checked-in during commercials and we were done.

I can understand that & have done the same when we were in a condo in HI for 2 weeks.

For us, we don't know how much time we will actually have on the ship. We have 2 sea days but they are the 1st & 3rd days, the rest are port days & are filled with tours. Then we get back, eat & crash, get up early for the next tour, come back, eat, crash... lol So we are gonna stuff a bag or 2 half-way through the cruise. $20 even $40 (if we use 2 bags) is still better than paying $100 round trip the airline wants to charge for an extra bag & I don't have to worry about finding time to get to the laundry room. I'd rather be sleeping getting ready for the next port. :)

[quote name='peacan pie']Does anyone know if they will pretreat the stains. I have a seven and two year old;)[/quote]

I have a 6 year old and I always pack shout Gel or something similar. I also bring a tide pen for little spots.

I take one of the hand towels or wash cloths down from our cabin to the laundry room when I iron...and put it on top of the garment to protect it from the surface from the bottom of the iron (in case it is full of crud on bottom).

Also, Tide sells individual packets for washing machines...it's liquid, but they are under 3oz(for those like us flying). I've used them several times and they work great! I take a few dryer sheets from home to use. I also bring a stain stick from home and pre treat stains.

Archived