destiny deck 6

Hi

We are sailing the destiny 22nd Sept 2011 and have a deck 6 inside cabin.

anyone know anything about these cabins?

Also I am a terrible sailor (ferries are my enemy!!!) so am sort of dreading the cruise (only in terms of sea sickness..........) and wonder if anyone can suggest good medication.

thanks alot

Gillyg

Hi

We have had Destiny inside cabins, think it was deck 4 or 5 not sure. We were mid ships or very near and felt nothing.

They were ok, very very small but we only sleep, shower and change in them. As long as you do not want a suite for an inside cabin price you will be ok.

Loads of posts on sea sickness but the following seem popular.

• Wrist bands that press on a certian area around the wrist.
  • Stugeon (spelling?) or similar. Boots own brand are supposed to be good.
  • Ginger Biscuits.
  • Marmalade.
  • Walking about all the time as soon as you get on the ship.
  • Getting a cabin mid ships both ways if you see what I mean. Somebody on this site said the more you pay the more you sway.
  • Malt whiskey (oops that's my good idea):)

My wife was a very poor ferry traveler but is ok on Cruise ships.

Take it easy and do not talk yourself into feeling ill.

Deck 6!

Mmm, I suppopse I had better tell you so you can be prepared.

At midnight on the last night of the cruise deck 6 dissappears to return at 1am with no passengers and all the cabins made up ready for the next batch of vict..er cruisers. ;)

This is why it is known as dissapearing deck 6 :)

actually deck 6 only occupies the forward part of the ship and some people spend their entire holiday trying to find it, it is the same with the sky bar :D

all the inside cabins are the same layout and can be considered small. I had 3113 last time and two singles can be converted to a double if you want.

the piccies show:

- the important room, the bar!

- my sunbathing spot, you get a nice stripey tan

- as you can see, the steward lives under the bed!

destiny 1.pdf

destiny 2.pdf

destiny 3.pdf

Hi

We have had Destiny inside cabins, think it was deck 4 or 5 not sure. We were mid ships or very near and felt nothing.

They were ok, very very small but we only sleep, shower and change in them. As long as you do not want a suite for an inside cabin price you will be ok.

Loads of posts on sea sickness but the following seem popular.

• Wrist bands that press on a certian area around the wrist.
  • Stugeon (spelling?) or similar. Boots own brand are supposed to be good.
  • Ginger Biscuits.
  • Marmalade.
  • Walking about all the time as soon as you get on the ship.
  • Getting a cabin mid ships both ways if you see what I mean. Somebody on this site said the more you pay the more you sway.
  • Malt whiskey (oops that's my good idea):)

My wife was a very poor ferry traveler but is ok on Cruise ships.

Take it easy and do not talk yourself into feeling ill.

I use Stugeron although I have only needed it once when we were bounced around in the north sea. The captain will give a report of the expected weather for each night so you can be prepared. Apparently green apples can work as well as ginger so I have a jar of capsules just in case. (ginger not apples)

One morning everyone was commenting about how bad the night was and I must confess I did not notice and had decided all the rocking and rolling was due to a surfeit of bombay and tonic. Perhaps I should have noticed the dealer had tied herself to the poker table :D

Hi gillyg,

The medication I swear by is the one Dave mentioned - it's called Stugeron which you can buy over the counter at Boots. Boots own travel sickness pills are a different drug - I don't find these as effective. I've even bought Stugeron from Reception on one of the Thomson ships - just can't remember which one but clearly it's the one they dish out to passengers.

I can get travel sick reading a map in the car (even felt queasy once on the Sandbanks Ferry! :eek: - all quarter of a mile long journey!!! :D ) but as long as I take Stugeron - I'm absolutely fine. It's most effective as a preventative - take it two hours before you set sail. I usually take two pills the first night - then just one each night before we set sail. Sea days you may need to take one every eight hours. If the sea is calm I don't bother but as soon as it gets choppy, or the Capt's announcement suggests it might be, I take one - just in case!

I only once felt really ill when I forgot to take a pill on the first night and conditions seemed ok but when I woke up I felt rough - it was muster drill and I've never been so pleased when it ended! I took 2 pills, went back to bed for an hour and when I got up I felt absolutely fine - ready for lunch, afternoon tea and dinner!!!!! :D I didn't forget the next night! ;)

Take some medication with you (you'll feel better just knowing you've got some with you) and try to look forward to your cruise. I never thought I'd be able to cruise and just went on a one week trip to the Fjords (got to be calm in there - right?) to try it out. We were hooked after the first trip - and have survived a Force 9 on Celebration in the North Sea and didn't feel at all sick!! Enjoy! :):)

Hi. gillyg I'm also a terrible sailor and tablets don't work for me so I use patches behind my ear (scopoderm) and have survive the North Sea with them. Please do take something though for although all the people who don't suffer tell you it's all in the mind it certainly isn't and it took me six years to go on a ship again after my first attempt.

thanks all of you.

ok Davethe road

what does disappearing deck 6 actually mean?

being either a bit dense or very gullible!!:confused::confused:

lol

Hi there

We were on Deck 6 and sometimes we had difficulty finding our way back to the cabin!

I will bounce my previous message up the board for you to read- then you will be armed with the knowledge of how to find the disappearing Deck 6 lol.

Flopsy

Hi Gilly G

we are going on destiny 22nd sept and we have also booked at inside cabin on deck 4 or 5. we are expecting the cabins to be small as I have been looking at all the reviews.

I am just a bit concerned about there being no laundry on board as i like to iron my clothes maybe room to do a bit in cabin at a push

Hope to see you on board June aka Granny T

Hi Gilly

I've just returned from my first cruise, on the Dream. Like you I have suffered bad seasickness on ferries before and I was dreading suffering it on the cruise. I can't read in cars either unless I feel sick.

However I have to say that I was fine on the ship. I took loads of different medications with me and I didn't need any of it. The only thing was when it was quite choppy I felt a bit disorientated and dizzy but not sick at all, and you soon get used to the feeling. As long as you go prepared I'm sure you will be absolutely fine. Have a great time x

Hi

Below is a copy of my review from our cruise in March

We had cabin 6045 which was an outside room with a largish window.

The cabin was quite small, but had plenty of storage and a reasonable bathroom it was comfortable with a new flatscreen tv mounted to the wall. There have been many comments on the size of the shower in the cabins I thought ours was ok and I am 6ft and 16st.

Everything good so far, I thought the food on board was of a good standard, and plentiful, if eating in the Lido Café the food temperature could vary a lot, but that’s not the fault of Thomson, it was more a timing issue it must be hard keeping food warm without overcooking it.

The ship is very clean and kept that way, as are the dining areas, and plenty of hand sanitizer is available although some people thought they didn’t need it.

Now for the poor things, the ship appears not to be stabilised in any way and suffered terrible with pitching and rolling even in the calmest waters, very poor indeed. On every occasion I visited the Lido Café at least one of the drinks dispensers were faulty or not working. What appeared to be stop gap repairs were being carried out during the cruise, the sanding and re varnishing of the rear sun deck whilst people were sunbathing, very poor. The layout of some areas were confusing you can eat at the Lido Grill every lunchtime but there are no drinks facilities there you have to go to the Lido Café at the other end of the ship for a drink of tea or coffee

Very strange, I would agree that she is an older ship and in need of a refurbishment, but would recommend her and Thomson to you, I enjoyed the cruise and destinations, the trips were ok some good some just ok.

All in all a very enjoyable break on a nice ship with some excellent flights.

Archived