First cruise! Need info re: cell usage (Canadian)

Hi,

I found this forum and have found sooo much useful information! This is a great site!

I did have a question though. I'm leaving on Saturday for my first cruise (Oasis)!! and I don't want to rack up a huge cell phone bill.

I'm wondering if anyone here is from Canada, who may have any tips.... or know of a calling card I could purchase. My cell carrier is Rogers and I'm getting the runaround with them :S

Thanks!

I too am with Rogers.

don't use your phone unless you absolutely have too. Texts are expensive, and the international roaming rates will quickly add up to more than the cost of the cruise itself. Don't even get me started on data rates!

Rogers does have travel packs. http://www.rogers.com/web/content/add-ons/travelwithyourphone

If you need to keep in contact, find an internet cafe in port.

I'm with Rogers and recently started using a Blackberry with a data plan. My biggest fear was racking up a massive bill )because the data plan is always active) or spending too much on a travel plan.

I gave them a call and quickly and easily found out how to disable the data plan so I could keep my phone on in foreign ports. If you have a data plan and don't need it when you travel, make sure you do that before you travel!

They offer several different options and I went with a one-month (long distance) text plan for a very reasonable price. The only problem is that there are separate plans for the US and "International" so I bought one of each as I was travelling through the States and visiting some ports that were "International" and others considered to be U.S.. There are the same options for phone use and Data plans too I think.

I don't think there's anything that covers a cruise ship so I kept my phone off to avoid any painful roaming charges.

I'd give them a call as everyone I spoke to was very helpful and the advice worked. There were no unexpected charges on my wireless bill!

I use an iPhone on Rogers, and I didn't bother with a plan before I left.

What you can do is put the phone on airplane mode, but turn on wifi. You won't be able to use the phone for calls etc. but when you're in a port that has free wifi (and there are many), simply connect to it and you can check your e-mail, etc.

If you have an instant messenger app (ie. not your texting app), you should be able to use that via wifi as well. So if you NEED to be in live contact with someone, you ca go that route.

Or perhaps look into a Skype app?

Thank you everyone for the info! I'd have forgotten to turn my phone to airport mode!

Do you know if incoming texts on the ship are free, or do you get charged?

You'll be charged, as it's through your carrier that texts are sent (or whatever carrier you're connected to at that particular time). You won't be able to get text messages via wifi.

I put my phone on for a few minutes at a time in various ports on my last cruise, and I have yet to get my bill. I am scared... :eek:

I use an iPhone on Rogers, and I didn't bother with a plan before I left.

What you can do is put the phone on airplane mode, but turn on wifi. You won't be able to use the phone for calls etc. but when you're in a port that has free wifi (and there are many), simply connect to it and you can check your e-mail, etc.

If you have an instant messenger app (ie. not your texting app), you should be able to use that via wifi as well. So if you NEED to be in live contact with someone, you ca go that route.

Or perhaps look into a Skype app?

Go into the settings menu on your blackberry- find Moble Network Options. Then find "Data when roaming " and switch it to "OFF"

Archived