No summer Southern Caribbean cruises 2012 on

:(

Serenade is leaving on summer and Caribbean Princess is leaving San Juan Next Year. But on the articule it says:

"In addition to welcoming a new home-port ship and two new-generation mega-cruiselines, CARIBBEAN BUSINESS learned that as many as four cruiseships will be making regular in-transit stops in Puerto Rico starting this year:

A new home port ship ? :D No names, but

New arrivals include the Celebrity Eclipse (2,850 passengers), MS Nieuw Amsterdam (2,106 passengers), MSC Magnifica (2,518 passengers) and Silversea Spirit (540 passengers).

This ship is new for the Island maybe MSC Cruises is comming to San Juan ?

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/business/Cruise-lines-pulling-out-of-Barbados_8533299

Cruise lines pulling out of Barbados

BY GERCINE CARTER

Friday, March 18, 2011

Barbados has been dealt a major blow to its cruise business with the loss of two major cruise lines for the upcoming summer and winter seasons.

Executive vice-president of the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association, Sue Springer, said the Royal Caribbean line had announced the removal of all its ships from the southern Caribbean during summer 2012, while the Sea Princess, which has been calling at Barbados weekly this winter season is to be repositioned to Australia for winter 2011-2012 under the P & O Australia brand. Royal Caribbean operates the Serenader Of The Seas.

Royal Caribbean line had announced the removal of all its ships from the southern Caribbean during summer 2012.

1/1

Springer said the Royal Caribbean line had extensive tonnage in the western Caribbean, but the cost of fuel to get ships as far south as Barbados had resulted in the removal of ships.

Martin Ince of Foster & Ince Cruises said Barbados would lose close to 25 000 passengers brought here by the Serenader Of The Seas during the traditionally slow summer period.

The Carnival Victory will be the only cruise ship calling on Barbados during the summer months, with four calls per month, down from the current six.

Foster also said Barbados would lose about 26 000 passengers over the coming winter season as a result of the repositioning of the Sea Princess to Australia. This ship had been home-porting in Barbados over the last five or six years.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/pfversion/Cruise-lines-pulling-out-of-Barbados_8533299#ixzz1GxsmsZtN

The fact that ALL cruise lines are doing this shows that it is in the name of good business. Cruise lines are going to go where the money is.

San Juan has always been a challenge because for the most part, people have to fly to get there. The increased flight prices (And fewer flights now) mean that air travel is more restrictive, hence why in the last ten years, we have gone from 90% of all Caribbean cruises leaving from either Miami or Fort Lauderdale to having Caribbean cruises leaving from places such as Galveston, New Orleans, Tampa, Canaveral, Baltimore, New York, Boston and more.

If it was good business, the lines would be staying.

It is clear that the future in Caribbean cruising is "Drive To" and the the future of the cruise industry in total isn't limited to the Caribbean.

Carnival really doesn't market itself outside of North America and has most of it's ships in the Caribbean, if that is what you want, it is out there. That being said, even Carnival is looking at Europe and Australia rather than it's core US/Canadian markets. Times are a changing.

Glad we always cruise before the end of May! Disappointed they are taking a ship out of San Juan during the summer though. As far as we are concerned, the Southern Caribbean is by far the best of all the itins they have.

What is with Enchantment in July 2012? Leaving Baltimore for the bermuda, before heading to boston and rhode island? Why would I want to cruise to boston and rhode island if I'm from the north east? I was hoping for a 8 night cruise to the caribbean, not the north east. Oh well. Maybe we won't cruise in 2012.

What is with Enchantment in July 2012? Leaving Baltimore for the bermuda, before heading to boston and rhode island? Why would I want to cruise to boston and rhode island if I'm from the north east? I was hoping for a 8 night cruise to the caribbean, not the north east. Oh well. Maybe we won't cruise in 2012.

While you or I being from the northeast might find such an itinerary less than compelling, the cruiseline is looking to attract a far wider audience and for people from other parts of the country, a cruise that takes them from Baltimore to Bermuda, Boston and Newport is likely to be quite attractive. On our New England/Canada Jewel cruise last Fall the guests came from distant regions of the US and Canada to see the foliage and the interesting collection of ports of call. The lines aren't necessarily concerned that this particular cruise itinerary isn't of interest to you or me, as long as there are many others who would be interested in it. They offer many other itineraries that might appeal to you but they aren't in the business of catering only to your or my desires.:)

it's also disappointing that there are no ships doing southern out of ft. lauderdale in either march or april of 2012. the only two ships sailing those months out of ft. lauderdale for southern is the emerald princess and celebrity equionox.

We cruise almost exclusively out of San Juan the last few years, and usually in April or September as the timing suits us better. I'm guessing that the "busy winter season" does not include those months. We'll have to look at other options.

SeaBaby

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/business/Cruise-lines-pulling-out-of-Barbados_8533299

Cruise lines pulling out of Barbados

BY GERCINE CARTER

Friday, March 18, 2011

Barbados has been dealt a major blow to its cruise business with the loss of two major cruise lines for the upcoming summer and winter seasons.

Executive vice-president of the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association, Sue Springer, said the Royal Caribbean line had announced the removal of all its ships from the southern Caribbean during summer 2012, while the Sea Princess, which has been calling at Barbados weekly this winter season is to be repositioned to Australia for winter 2011-2012 under the P & O Australia brand. Royal Caribbean operates the Serenader Of The Seas.

Royal Caribbean line had announced the removal of all its ships from the southern Caribbean during summer 2012.

1/1

Springer said the Royal Caribbean line had extensive tonnage in the western Caribbean, but the cost of fuel to get ships as far south as Barbados had resulted in the removal of ships.

Martin Ince of Foster & Ince Cruises said Barbados would lose close to 25 000 passengers brought here by the Serenader Of The Seas during the traditionally slow summer period.

The Carnival Victory will be the only cruise ship calling on Barbados during the summer months, with four calls per month, down from the current six.

Foster also said Barbados would lose about 26 000 passengers over the coming winter season as a result of the repositioning of the Sea Princess to Australia. This ship had been home-porting in Barbados over the last five or six years.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/pfversion/Cruise-lines-pulling-out-of-Barbados_8533299#ixzz1GxsmsZtN

Thank you for confirming the story.

I feel your pain JCafaro...true, RCI cannot consider 'just' the wants of those of us on the northeast coast but, it does feel like we've been robbed! Finally got a nice ship with reasonable Caribbean ports and now we are left with places we could easily do (and have done--years ago!) as land vacations. I think I read a post someplace this week indicating that the 7-night Caribbean routes (2012-2013) would be disclosed at a later date...perhaps there is still hope for a TRUE getaway! I'll be sailing March 2012 on what I hope will be a great 12-night Southern Caribbean itinerary...it looks like this could be the last of such trips out of Baltimore. :(

BTW: Does Rhode Island need 'tourism' dollars??? the richest state in the US??? SMH!

If there were any truth in Advertising, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line should start calling themselves Royal European Cruise Line or Royal Florida Cruise Line. By abandoning the Southern itineraries, it has lost "Caribbean" as its middle name.

If there were any truth in advertising it wouldn't have Royal in its name would it?

A quick check of the numbers of cruises in each region (as shown by the Royal Caribbean iPhone app in the UK) is:

Alaska - 116

Asia - 53

Australia/New Zealand - 53

Bahamas - 235

Bermuda - 76

Canada/New England - 26

Caribbean - 518

Dubai/Emirates - 43

Eastern Mediterranean - 127

Hawaii - 3

Northern Europe, Scandinavia & Russia - 37

Pacific Northwest - 1

Panama Canal - 1

Portugal & Canary Islands - 23

Repositioning - 3

South America - 62

Transatlantic - 14

Western Mediterranean - 120

I do not think that the itinerary is as Europe-biased as you think it is.

If there were any truth in advertising it wouldn't have Royal in its name would it?

A quick check of the numbers of cruises in each region (as shown by the Royal Caribbean iPhone app in the UK) is:

Alaska - 116

Asia - 53

Australia/New Zealand - 53

Bahamas - 235

Bermuda - 76

Canada/New England - 26

Caribbean - 518

Dubai/Emirates - 43

Eastern Mediterranean - 127

Hawaii - 3

Northern Europe, Scandinavia & Russia - 37

Pacific Northwest - 1

Panama Canal - 1

Portugal & Canary Islands - 23

Repositioning - 3

South America - 62

Transatlantic - 14

Western Mediterranean - 120

I do not think that the itinerary is as Europe-biased as you think it is.

Those aren't the summer 2012 numbers though, correct? I am just disappointed that a company named "Royal Caribbean" isn't doing the prettiest part of the Caribbean (imho). I'm bummed.

I'm glad for Ponce and Mayaguez, but I am perplexed as to why is RCI abandoning San Juan as a home port. The Southern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan seem to be one of the favorites.

They are only leaving there in the summer when it is to hot to want to go down there. They will send ships to the Euorpe where cruises are in high demand. They will be back come fall and winter when the US & Canada snow birds want out of the freezing cold. It is a pure business decision.

They are only leaving there in the summer when it is to hot to want to go down there. They will send ships to the Euorpe where cruises are in high demand. They will be back come fall and winter when the US & Canada snow birds want out of the freezing cold. It is a pure business decision.

The weather in the Southern Caribbean is actually much more pleasant than many places in the US during the summer. The temperatures do not change very much year-round.

That aside, I am VERY disappointed in the itineraries out of Baltimore for summer '12. We had our hearts set on the 9 night Caribbean itinerary. I think that the itineraries they have planned really stink. I am going to check out other lines. We have been pretty loyal to RCL in the past. We are also big fans of the San Juan home port itineraries. I am really feeling let down by RCL!!!

The weather in the Southern Caribbean is actually much more pleasant than many places in the US during the summer. The temperatures do not change very much year-round.

That aside, I am VERY disappointed in the itineraries out of Baltimore for summer '12. We had our hearts set on the 9 night Caribbean itinerary. I think that the itineraries they have planned really stink. I am going to check out other lines. We have been pretty loyal to RCL in the past. We are also big fans of the San Juan home port itineraries. I am really feeling let down by RCL!!!

None of the cruise lines change their itineraries that much at all. But you can go try the other lines and see some of the different ports. We did not care for the CCL boats and their staff as much as RCI's. You may like it more than we did, it is all a personal decision. Hope you are able to find some new ports you enjoy.

I am soo glad that I am saling on the Serenade this June! I will say that the rising cost of airfare to San Juan can be prohibitive to many cruisers. However, it is actually less expensive for my family to cruise on the Serenade than for us to cruise on Oasis, Freedon or Allure. We live in Texas and would have to pay for air travel no matter what.

For those of us that have cruised many times..the Eastern and the Western iteneraries are getting REALLY OLD..dont get me wrong..I love to cruise..but I chose the Southern route this time because I have been there, done that on the other routes. What will happen is RCI will start losing thier loyal customers to other types of vacations.

We switched Serenade for Allure for this summer, with the intention of doing Serenade next summer, and now I am regretting that choice. We can only cruise during the summer, and there are so few options available, not just RCI but with most of the major cruiselines (except Carnival...but we tried them once, and once was enough...we didn't care for their ships and the level of service was not acceptable to us). We cannot afford more exotic itineraries like Alaska or Mediterranean, so it looks like the cruiselines will be losing families like ours who can only cruise in the summer and want to sail the Caribbean.

I was just checking the summer/early fall Caribbean-ish schedules, and they're all only out of Fort Lauderdale. Seems to me that they're having difficulties filling the Oasis and Allure so they might be trying to lure cruises away from the actual Caribbean.

Why don't they just send one of the Oasis-class to Europe in the summer and keep the Adventure in San Juan?

I was just checking the summer/early fall Caribbean-ish schedules, and they're all only out of Fort Lauderdale. Seems to me that they're having difficulties filling the Oasis and Allure so they might be trying to lure cruises away from the actual Caribbean.

Why don't they just send one of the Oasis-class to Europe in the summer and keep the Adventure in San Juan?

IF......and I mean a big IF I were to sail on a mega ship like Allure/Oasis, I would want it to be "the thing". Meaning I would consider it for a trans-Atlantic and thoroughly enjoy the ship. I don't want to miss the beauty of the Caribbean with a ship almost the size of the island and be distracted by a zipline, Oprah, or Taylor Swift. If the ship is the "thing" then make it the thing. For me, still, the islands are the reason I go to the Caribbean. Did that make sense? I loved the Adventure of the Seas......it was perfect for the So. Caribbean.

Karen

I understand exactly what you mean Karen. The idea of the large ships with all the bells and whistles doesn't appeal to me at all. The Adventure is perfect. Actually the Voager Class is just right for us. Our one cruise on it in the Southern Carib was so close to perfect. Can't wait to do it again!

Archived