Volcanos National Park

Cruisin Bee

That's really a question only you can answer. Of course, it will be much cheaper to rent a couple of cars and go see it yourselves. And traffic is sure no problem on the Big Island. However, if no one in your group has been there, a guide can add a lot to the excursion and show you things you may miss on your own. Either way, it's a wonderful experience. Just ask yourself if the added expense of having someone pick you up, do the driving, and giving a guided tour, is worth the different you would pay. There are also other companies you can contact and set up a tour with them ahead of time that may be cheaper than the ships tour. You also have to take into account that if you do the ships tour and run late getting back, it won't leave without you.

BTW, there is a restaurant that sits on the rim of the crater that serves a lunch buffet. Not great food, but all right and reasonably priced with a good view.

So weigh your options, decide, and enjoy.

We are going to be on the Big Island in April, and I've booked a tour with Hawaii Green Tours. They have 12 passenger vans and will pick you up at the ship. The price is $50.00 pp and the tour is 5 hours and say they will have us back to the ship by 3PM - well before the ship leaves. They claim they've never missed getting passengers back on time. My contact was ckhuang@hawaiigreentours.com. She was very accomodating and the tour seems to cover more than the ship's excursion. And with far fewer people than the ship's tour.

So, whatever you decide, have a great time.

There are so many visitors to the park that they are very prepared for you to tour in several different ways. There is a nice museum as you enter the park that provides maps and rangers to make suggestions and answer any questions you may have.

With a tour group you are obligated to do what the tour offers; on your own, you can stop when and nearly wherever you want. There are several places of interest where you will want to spend some time. Many of your stopping points have plaques or other explanations available allowing you to be your own tour guide.

Either way, it will be a very interesting experience for all of you! Enjoy!

Exbbmom,

Thanks for posting the contact info for Green Tours I just emailed them also. We are going to be in Hawaii in Aug. on the Pride of Aloha. Do they have a web site? Did they have different tours to choose from or are they all 5 hours?

Exbbmom,

Thanks for posting the contact info for Green Tours I just emailed them also. We are going to be in Hawaii in Aug. on the Pride of Aloha. Do they have a web site? Did they have different tours to choose from or are they all 5 hours?

Green Travel & Tour is www.hawaiigreentours.com. You may call them at 1-808-934-9187 on the Big Island or 1-808-244-0248 on Maui

• 2 weeks later...

Cruise ships shore excursions are under strict time restraint which can be a good thing, but if you are looking for more flexibility in tours, booking one yourself might allow the guides more time to stop at more attractions. Just my two cents.

We were on the POA in June of last year and did the ship's shore excursion which included the National Park and Rainbow Falls. I know there are pros and cons to ship and independent tours but I'm really glad we did this one through the ship. The tour does include lunch at The Firehouse (I think is the name) which one of the earlier poster alluded to, a stop at the Thurston Lava Tube, which is in a rain forest at VNP, as well as a couple of other stops in the park. It also included stops at Mauna Loa Macadamian Nut Factory (which I enjoyed more that I thought), Nani Mau Botanical Gardens, and Rainbow Falls. The falls were kind of disappointing, but the pictures I have from there are great. The guide we had was wonderful, which made our trip that much more enjoyable. All in all, I thought the excursion was well worth the money, but I really don't think you can go wrong either way in Hawaii. It just depends on which way works better for you. Have a great time. It was our first time to Hawaii and we plan on going back before too long.

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the POA in June of last year and did the ship's shore excursion which included the National Park and Rainbow Falls. I know there are pros and cons to ship and independent tours but I'm really glad we did this one through the ship. The tour does include lunch at The Firehouse (I think is the name) which one of the earlier poster alluded to, a stop at the Thurston Lava Tube, which is in a rain forest at VNP, as well as a couple of other stops in the park. It also included stops at Mauna Loa Macadamian Nut Factory (which I enjoyed more that I thought), Nani Mau Botanical Gardens, and Rainbow Falls. The falls were kind of disappointing, but the pictures I have from there are great. The guide we had was wonderful, which made our trip that much more enjoyable. All in all, I thought the excursion was well worth the money, but I really don't think you can go wrong either way in Hawaii. It just depends on which way works better for you. Have a great time. It was our first time to Hawaii and we plan on going back before too long.

We're considering going to Nani Mau Botanical Gardens. Did you like it?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a great review.....am going in Aug (solo traveler so am not interested in renting a car) and this tour looked good, and your explanation makes it sound even better!

Archived