Taking images from a helicopter/plane window

I'm planning shore excursions for my first Alaskan cruise and am contemplating a helicopter or floatplane ride over the glaciers. Besides actually seeing them from above, my primary purpose is to photograph them. My initial gut would rather be up close and level with them from a smaller boat. However, since my cruise will be during early May, that may not be an option.

My question is - will it be possible to actually get decent, sharp shots through a helicopter or plane's window on any of these rides? Does anyone have any experiences or suggestions? this may be a hard question to answer, but what sort of views can I expect and can I actually capture it from a helicopter/plane ride that is not 100% chartered to me where they would slow down if I asked.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions. Oh, my equipment includes a DSLR with a decent range of fast lenses including filters (circular polarizer, UV, ND, etc).

Unless you are on a plane or helicopter with open windows or specially fitted with optical glass windows, DO NOT USE A POLARIZER! The standard lexan windows in aircraft can be quite clear but are natural polarizers and the combination will cause color distortion and odd patterns to appear in your images if you use one on your lens.

Other than that, if you use a decently high shutter speed (stabilized lenses or in-body stabilization helps) and watch out for reflections from the glass (sunny side pictures are usually difficult). To battle reflection and glare, wear black or dark clothes, carry some Windex wipes to remove the last passenger's the nose/hand-prints and use your lens hood. With a little preparation and a clean window, you should be able to get some spectacular images.

Dave

Unless you are on a plane or helicopter with open windows or specially fitted with optical glass windows, DO NOT USE A POLARIZER! The standard lexan windows in aircraft can be quite clear but are natural polarizers and the combination will cause color distortion and odd patterns to appear in your images if you use one on your lens.

Other than that, if you use a decently high shutter speed (stabilized lenses or in-body stabilization helps) and watch out for reflections from the glass (sunny side pictures are usually difficult). To battle reflection and glare, wear black or dark clothes, carry some Windex wipes to remove the last passenger's the nose/hand-prints and use your lens hood. With a little preparation and a clean window, you should be able to get some spectacular images.

Dave

I shot video (mini-DV) on our over the summit flight at Mt. Denali (Mt. McKinley) and got some incredible footage. My DF was shooting with her SLR (film in 2007) and got some terrific shots as well.

Don't worry, just be ready and you'll come home with some of the best souvenirs possible.

Second to Dave's comment. And I'll add: You probably won't need and won't have room for a long telephoto. I have found that 85mm is all I have wanted for scenic air shots. I more often use my 10-22. Many times to avoid reflections I simply put my lens hood up against the window and use live view to compose, Or just click a lot and hope. The vibrations do not seem to impact the images.

This photos obviously isn't Alaska, but the lens was up against the plastic window.

original.jpg

Enjoy your cruise and show us some great photos.

Larry

Ah, what is the definition main purpose is photography. You looking to capture memories or just produce technically superior photo's for peeing at 100%?

IMHO as others said if the second you need to hire a private plane / helicopter that allows doors off windows open. They offer that in warmer climates like Hawaii and I guess there is a market for those shooters.

I've gotten good and horrible reflections shooting in the air. But I've always treated the pictures as snapshots of moments and memories and yes I always bring a camera to shoot pictures never let quality steer me one way or another.

Happy shooting.

I'm planning shore excursions for my first Alaskan cruise and am contemplating a helicopter or floatplane ride over the glaciers. Besides actually seeing them from above, my primary purpose is to photograph them. My initial gut would rather be up close and level with them from a smaller boat. However, since my cruise will be during early May, that may not be an option.

My question is - will it be possible to actually get decent, sharp shots through a helicopter or plane's window on any of these rides? Does anyone have any experiences or suggestions? this may be a hard question to answer, but what sort of views can I expect and can I actually capture it from a helicopter/plane ride that is not 100% chartered to me where they would slow down if I asked.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions. Oh, my equipment includes a DSLR with a decent range of fast lenses including filters (circular polarizer, UV, ND, etc).

492113330_600Glacierviewfromtheair.jpg.eb7567361a005f39c20c15e39104d04b.jpg

1337790322_525_HeliTourNapaliCoast.jpg.ac90d96e136b41eee0c85158877c102b.jpg

I got some great shots from a small plane even with my Canon P&S camera. The plane doesn't fly very fast so you can take pictures without movement. On the DeHaviland Beaver that we were on each pax had a window. As I understand it, the back seat of the helicopters holds 3 people so the middle person would have a hard time taking pictures. Here is a link to my photos taken on the Taku Lodge floatplane trip out of Juneau:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/354385877pEpDrd

BTW, you can definitely see more of the glacier from a plane than from a small boat although the small boat trips are well worth doing. It sure beats what you can see from the ship.

As I understand it, the back seat of the helicopters holds 3 people so the middle person would have a hard time taking pictures.

To build on Judy's point, if you're planning on going with a helicopter, I would definitely check out how they determine who sits where. I've done 2 different helicopter tours in Maui and both times, seats were assigned based on everyone's weight. Neither company was willing to allow changes claiming safety due to weight balance. Before paying, check first to see if you may end up stuck in the back middle seat with no ability to change.

On 3 helicopters rides to date, NONE of the vendors can gurantee where you sit. YOu pay and show up and weigh and than they tell you based on who else is sharing with you. For helicopters expect the worst hope for the best, and even if you have a center back seat its still a awesome view, maybe not the best for pictures but still awesome. FWIW everyone of my rides I've been stuck in back and middle, still was fine.

To build on Judy's point, if you're planning on going with a helicopter, I would definitely check out how they determine who sits where. I've done 2 different helicopter tours in Maui and both times, seats were assigned based on everyone's weight. Neither company was willing to allow changes claiming safety due to weight balance. Before paying, check first to see if you may end up stuck in the back middle seat with no ability to change.

For fixed wing...I second the advise of no polarizing filter. In addition, I just checked my photos from our AK plane trip to Taku Glacier Lodge (HAL excursion out of Juneau which was wonderful), and saw that I had an ISO of 400, speed 1600, and f stop was set by the camera according to that. All photos were great. (Used a Canon D20 with a 17-40 mm lens.) I had thought I'd "want" a longer lens but advice on photo forums indicated I'd be happier using a wide angle and I was...it was perfect.

If you want to see photos, you can go to our link in our signature and see the photo album of our 2008 AK Cruise.

Thanks for all your wonderful advice! and I will post pictures once I get back. I especially love the advice about wearing dark/black clothes and bringing windex wipes to get the prints from the previous passenger off the glass! I will set up with my 17-55mm f2.8 for the air ride but will have the 70-200mm f2.8 for the ground shots since I hope to see some Orca's, bears, and eagles! Now I'm debating whether I want the helicopter ride or floatplane ride. I do have to laugh about the comment about a private ride where the windows/doors are open. I'm somewhat spoiled - I was lucky enough to ride on a Navy helicopter through the Grand Canyon of Kaui where they strapped me in where my feet were dangling from the open doorway and got the most amazing photos/views! it was like a living post card! Fabulous!

1600?

Like in one thousand six hundredth of a second?

The displays on DSLRs and even the old mechanical dials on film SLRs omit the "1/" from "1/1600" predating texting abbreviations by decades...mus b ezr 2 read?

:D

Dave

The displays on DSLRs and even the old mechanical dials on film SLRs omit the "1/" from "1/1600" predating texting abbreviations by decades...mus b ezr 2 read?

:D

Dave

I understand the omission of the "1", as in 150 is one hundred fiftieth of a second.

Just curious of the speed being one thousand six hundredth of a second. That seems incredibly fast, so, I am correct?

I understand the omission of the "1", as in 150 is one hundred fiftieth of a second.

Just curious of the speed being one thousand six hundredth of a second. That seems incredibly fast, so, I am correct?

Didn't think you didn't know...had just received a text from daughter and had abbreviated thoughts.;)

On a bright day at ISO 400, a shutter speed of 1/1600s would require an aperture of around f/9. That shutter speed and aperture would serve to eliminate all but the worst camera shake issues and provide good depth of field while shooting from the air. Most entry level DSLRs have a max shutter speed of 1/4000s and the mid-range units like the 20D he mentioned go to 1/8000s. 1/1000s - 1/2000s is not unusual for shooting brightly lit scenery.

Dave

Archived