Help for upgrade March 27th Ruby !

Orangefan

I just got an email from my TA that they upgraded us from inside Caribe ( 10 ) to Emerald (8 ) oceanview E314. I like the middle of the ship and the inside doesn't bother me since I am rarely in the room except to sleep.They gave us 48 hours to reject the new room and would TRY to get us back to the original room. The room is above the library but I don't know if we would get the noise from the Wheelhouse Bar or Crooner's lounge. Would I get more grinding motion being 2 floors lower and band noise? Part of me says to try to keep the room we have and the other part says give the obstructed view a chance.

I would appreciate any input ! Thanks.

I just got an email from my TA that they upgraded us from inside Caribe ( 10 ) to Emerald (8 ) oceanview E314. I like the middle of the ship and the inside doesn't bother me since I am rarely in the room except to sleep.They gave us 48 hours to reject the new room and would TRY to get us back to the original room. The room is above the library but I don't know if we would get the noise from the Wheelhouse Bar or Crooner's lounge. Would I get more grinding motion being 2 floors lower and band noise? Part of me says to try to keep the room we have and the other part says give the obstructed view a chance.

I would appreciate any input ! Thanks.

I think you will enjoy the upgraded room. We just love the Emerald Deck because of less motion - midship and easy accessibility to the Promenade Deck and the dining rooms. We have been in rooms in the 200's, 400's and 600's. Your location should be great and you shouldn't have any noise at all! The only room that I noticed a slight amount of noise was above the theatre E204) and it wasn't bad at all. Your room will be past (and above) the theater. If it were me, I would keep the new room!

Let us know.

Donna

Sali,

I would take the room! We were just on the Crown last month and normally book minisuites. However, this cruise we took an OV E402 which is not far from the 314. You are fairly close to the central elevators and stairs. I walked down the stairs (took the elevator back up) and went to IC every morning for coffee.

I say go for it!

Judy

Actually, E314 is above the back end of the Wheelhouse, so you might hear some faint noise from the band but I would be very surprised if it traveled that far. You're behind one of the lifeboats, so that's good news because they're smaller than the tenders; the bad news is that you're behind the aft part of the lifeboat, which is higher up than the bow, so it will block more of the window. However, good news again, the window appears to be only partially blocked, so you should have a view out of the left side of the window. I'd definitely take it over an inside; I'd even take it if it were a choice between it and other obstructed view cabins that were behind tenders.

Grinding motion? I don't think so. You're still pretty far above any machinery. You might hear something if they decide to lower the boats near your cabin, but that's about it.

Mindy43, Coolmama1 and rdsqrl , thank you so much for your helpful input. I called my TA to tell her we decided to take the upgrade and now look forward to the new experience in 7 days !

Sali

You will be glad that you took this upgrade! We always book outside obs. view because we like to cruise often and we don't spend much time at all in our stateroom. We did get an upgrade to a balcony once on a Panama Canal and did use the balcony a few times but not very much as it was so hot!

By the way, our daughter lives in Chili, outside of Rochester! Very nice area up there. (We are from western Pa.)

ShouldWeCruise I am a Princess platinum member and this is the first time I have been offered an upgrade.

Mindy43, I have been to Pittsburgh before and enjoyed myself. Plus 2 years ago , a friend and I drove to the Allentown airport and parked there. We( and other cruisers) were picked up by a Princess bus and were driven to the Princess Brooklyn terminal. The cruise was to New England/ Canada. Lovely trip. I had been to Newport and Boston before but not Bar Harbor or Halifax. It was much easier and cheaper to take the bus than to maneuver around all the NYC construction plus the bus was able to sail through the Holland Tunnel.

Glad you like the Rochester area. I love all of our state. So many beautiful areas including my Syracuse. By the way our snow is gone except for the piles in the big parking lots. We were reminded by the local weather people that it was March of 1993 when we had a huge blizzard. I am praying for good weather next weekend to fly to Ft. Lauderdale and cruise.

Sali

this my 2nd cruise and my husband's 1st. We booked an inside guarantee. Was told you get upgraded most of the time. Is that ture?

Not sure who told you this but what they "might" have been saying is that if you booked the lowest category of inside gty you might get 'upgraded' to a higher category of inside. To me that's no upgrade; it just means a different deck and or position relative to the elevators or forward/aft of the ship. If a TA told you "you get upgraded most of the time" I'd get a new TA as they are telling a fib...

Mindy43, Coolmama1 and rdsqrl , thank you so much for your helpful input. I called my TA to tell her we decided to take the upgrade and now look forward to the new experience in 7 days !

Sali

My pleasure; glad I could help. Enjoy the window! And if you'd like to pay it forward, take a photo of the view and post it when you come back -- there's a great thread on this board with photos from obstructed view cabins on all the various ships and that particular cabin isn't represented (I know because when I saw your post, I did a quick search). OOV cabins are my first choice, pricewise, so I'm a fiend for gathering data about them.

• 2 weeks later...
Got stateroom # today for guaranteed interior. It was from level 5 to 12.... thought that was pretty good. Is there still a chance to be moved again? Should I go ahead and print the baggage tags?

I would print the luggage tags as it is improbably that you would get a further upgrade.

this my 2nd cruise and my husband's 1st. We booked an inside guarantee. Was told you get upgraded most of the time. Is that ture?
Let's see. EVERY booking on the ship is marked as "will accept upgrade" by default unless you specifically request otherwise. Just about all Princess cruises sell out by sailing time, some months before, often with wait lists for many categories. IF you are "upgraded," you will be assigned an inside cabin, i.e., what you booked, perhaps a category or two above what you booked. All that means is location. And, sometimes, the location is available because it's one people would prefer not to have.

Whenever you book a GTY, you take a gamble. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. There's another current thread by a poster who booked a GTY mini-suite and has been assigned one they don't want. Good luck!

Grinding motion? I don't think so. You're still pretty far above any machinery. You might hear something if they decide to lower the boats near your cabin, but that's about it.
The stabilizers make a "grinding" or "shuddering" noise and sometimes, people equate that with machinery or something else. It doesn't happen all the time but depends on the seas and wave motion. Sometimes it's pretty bad, sometimes it isn't.

Archived