Who is the chair-hog?

kris12

Since the beginning of cruising (or so it seems) there have been chair-hogs. Eveyone complains about them but I have NEVER heard anyone say "hey! thats me! I get up at the crack of dawn to save chairs for people that didn't even come on the cruise with me!!!!":D

Who are these people? Why do they think their towel/sunglasses/cheap novels etc.. need tans? Why do they want to save a chair by the pool while they are snorkling in Cozumel? :confused:

Somebody is saving all those Chairs!! Speak up! Who are you?

99% of cruisers don't know about these boards... so they are uninformed... we are fortunate enough to have this board and being that we only represent 1% or less of the cruising population, I would imagine you won't find very many here... We know the rules :D

99% of cruisers don't know about these boards...:D

I'd say that is a pretty accurate statistic. It amazes me that I can go on a ship with 2,000 other people but can only find two other couples on my roll call. Seems odd doesn't it?

I'd say that is a pretty accurate statistic. It amazes me that I can go on a ship with 2,000 other people but can only find two other couples on my roll call. Seems odd doesn't it?

We are so in the "know", LOL! My first cruise on Carnival, my BF kept saying "how do you know all this stuff?????", LOL!!!! I really do feel sorry for those that cruise without the benefit of these boards! They are invaluable!!!

We know the rules :D

Isn't it amazing that this is virtually the *only* rule that doesn't have a posse of apologists defending their right to break it? :rolleyes:

I seem to remember that on a recent thread someone admitted to saving seats. They said they spread their stuff around on several chairs and then went to breakfast. They took some flak for that. Maybe they're in the witness protection program now. :D

I seem to remember that on a recent thread someone admitted to saving seats. They said they spread their stuff around on several chairs and then went to breakfast. They took some flak for that. Maybe they're in the witness protection program now. :D

Maybe they are sleeping with the fishies now, LOL! :eek: :D

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be cruising if it weren't for informative boards such as this. I'm just not adventurous enough to do something that I don't know too much about.

I just can't imagine not having this resource to fall on when/if questions arise. I know my TA would try to help, but there's no way she could have the knowledge of all the members of these CC boards! :eek:

This is too much fun, you "all" are too much fun (and funny lots of times) to ever give up reading these boards, even if I never cruised again! OK... one huge group hug! :D

Oh, I'm really off the topic of the OP here. OK.... I'm not one of those chair hogs! Promise! ;)

I'm not a chair hog either, I don't like to get up early while on vacation, I will save that for work weeks! But I will tell you after not being able to find a chair on a few cruises I have thought about it!

I'm going to do on this cruise as I read here on the GREAT board of cruise information and just move stuff if someone hasn't used the chair in the last 30 minutes! Well, if I get the nerve that's my plan!

We are so in the "know", LOL! My first cruise on Carnival, my BF kept saying "how do you know all this stuff?????"

Haha, my BF kept saying that too! He'd ask a random question, not expecting me to know the answer, and then I'd bust out wtih the answer and a long explanation and he looked dumbfounded every time...."Do they teach you this stuff somewhere????" he would ask. HEhehe:D

I'm distressed at the very thought of chair hogs, since I'll be going on my very first cruise on a very sold-out ship. Has anyone ever contacted Carnival and/or the ship's Cruise Director about the chair hog problem? :confused: How about Carnival placing a very prominent, bold type notice in each day's newsletter stating that chair hogging is eeeevil? How about a notice that any chiar left unoccupied for 30 minutes will have its contents removed, to be reclaimed by the owner at Lost and Found? Chair hogging sounds like a problem-- an inexcusable imposition on others-- that's gone unsolved for far too long. Perhaps an electronic petition from this board to Carnival would help. After all, I solve problems at work all year long. This is to be my vacation. It is Carnival's and the Cruise Director's role to resolve unacceptable behavior onboard.

Aw, c'mon. My hair brush needs a chair, too. Once, I left my hairbrush in the cabin and it didn't talk to me for a week. Well, on the next cruise, I took it out every morning at 6:00 a.m. and found a prime deck chair for it and put a copy of "The Stand" on the chair next to it so my brush wouldn't be lonely.

What a great thread! I'm sooo happy to found these boards, too, and feel very in-the-know even though my cruise has yet to happen. When I read about chair-hogs and another thing that is bound to bother me, kids in the hot-tubs, I can't help but think that if each of the rest of us vowed to fight the rudeness of others on the spot, we could battle both problems. Perhaps I'm naive as I've never been on a ship, especially about the chair-hogging. But when I'm at a hotel, and the hot tub is posted NO CHILDREN, I tell kids in there to leave - generally their parents are no where to be seen. Perhaps it's harder to be perceived as rude by your ship-mates, since you'll be spending many days with them, than it is strangers at a hotel. But I know that the chair-hogs and the adults not supervising their children are the ones that are rude, not those of us attempting to get them to follow basic rules.

D

Who are these people? Why do they think their towel/sunglasses/cheap novels etc.. need tans? Why do they want to save a chair by the pool while they are snorkling in Cozumel?

I'll tell you who they are: it's the woman in front of you in the 10-items-or-less-no-checks line at the supermarket with 23 items of groceries, expired coupons, and a two-party check to cash; it's the man who's parked in the fire-lane-no-parking area blocking traffic because he "just needs to run in for a couple of items and it's so inconvenient to park in the lot"; it's the driver who runs the red light because "he's in a hurry and doesn't have time to sit at the light"; it's.......well, I could go on but you get the idea. To sum it up, it's the person whose feels that his/her time/desires/rights are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more important than your time/desires/rights.

Now, I don't pretend to be a religious person (in fact, if you ever hear a loud explosion and see what looks like a nuclear mushroom cloud over the southern U.S., it'll probably be because I finally went back to church: "Bless me Father, for I have sinned....it's been 38 years since my last confession.... BLAM!!!!), but I try (and note, I say TRY....I also don't pretend that I'm Mother Theresa) to live by the Golden Rule = Do Unto Others As You Would Have Others Do Unto You. If everyone would stop before they did something and say "hmmmm, would I be pleased if this happened to me?", then I think seat hogging, table saving, line jumping, and other legal-but-definitely-annoying-behaviors would decrease by probably 75%.

OK, I'm off the soapbox.

Oh, and, HEY YOU!...YES, YOU, THE LADY IN THE RED HAT!....47 CANS OF CAT FOOD DOES NOT COUNT AS "10-ITEMS-OR-LESS", EVEN IF IT IS THE SAME BRAND!

Who are these people? Why do they think their towel/sunglasses/cheap novels etc.. need tans? Why do they want to save a chair by the pool while they are snorkling in Cozumel?

I'll tell you who they are: it's the woman in front of you in the 10-items-or-less-no-checks line at the supermarket with 23 items of groceries, expired coupons, and a two-party check to cash; it's the man who's parked in the fire-lane-no-parking area blocking traffic because he "just needs to run in for a couple of items and it's so inconvenient to park in the lot"; it's the driver who runs the red light because "he's in a hurry and doesn't have time to sit at the light"; it's.......well, I could go on but you get the idea. To sum it up, it's the person whose feels that his/her time/desires/rights are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more important than your time/desires/rights.

Now, I don't pretend to be a religious person (in fact, if you ever hear a loud explosion and see what looks like a nuclear mushroom cloud over the southern U.S., it'll probably be because I finally went back to church: "Bless me Father, for I have sinned....it's been 38 years since my last confession.... BLAM!!!!), but I try (and note, I say TRY....I also don't pretend that I'm Mother Theresa) to live by the Golden Rule = Do Unto Others As You Would Have Others Do Unto You. If everyone would stop before they did something and say "hmmmm, would I be pleased if this happened to me?", then I think seat hogging, table saving, line jumping, and other legal-but-definitely-annoying-behaviors would decrease by probably 75%.

OK, I'm off the soapbox.

Oh, and, HEY YOU!...YES, YOU, THE LADY IN THE RED HAT!....47 CANS OF CAT FOOD DOES NOT COUNT AS "10-ITEMS-OR-LESS", EVEN IF IT IS THE SAME BRAND!

ROFL!!!!:D Loved your last sentence, and totally agree with everything else you wrote.

I'll tell you who they are: it's the woman in front of you in the 10-items-or-less-no-checks line at the supermarket with 23 items of groceries, expired coupons, and a two-party check to cash; it's the man who's parked in the fire-lane-no-parking area blocking traffic because he "just needs to run in for a couple of items and it's so inconvenient to park in the lot";

I will PAY you to come to my store and get those people! I get that all the time!

It's the land of entitlement. Most of US were raised with good manners.

I think you are right it's not us but the question should be how do you handle the chair hogs? We preprint forms with the Ships name on it signed by the Captain of coarse that Say: Your chair has gone ____mins. with no one in it. Then you leave another blank for more mins. etc. Then after one hour of no show you place another preprinted form again signed by Captain that says:

Your chair was unoccupied for more than one hour and your "things" have been placed by the pool edge on the other side. Please be more courteous of others next time, thank you , the Captain. Then you move the "things" to the other side and claim your new found chair. When the person finally comes back hand them the form saying this was in the chair when you found it. Note: this only works with couples. Families usually leave Grandma to watch the group of chairs for her family that never shows up to be with her.

I'm sure there are chair hogs here, but they aren't about to admit it because they know it's wrong.

About the only possible justification I can think of that they could use is "I don't want to do it, but everyone else does so I have to join in if I want to get a seat". If that's the best excurse, there is really no good excuse (which we all already knew).

Kujobie, Maybe your hairbrush and my comb can hook up and "lay out " together on some cruise someday? The world would be a better place if we ALL considered our inanimate objects more often!!!:)

Watch out how many drinks that hairbrush and comb have though...you don't want to be dealing with little combs and brushes after one day of chair saving regret.

I'd walk around a few minutes looking for a chair, and come back, if the stuff was still in the chair I'd lay it on the deck and sit in the chair.

They don't scare me, I have teenagers.

I to have learned alot from these boards, great world of knowledge here.

Hello,

10 cruise and have never had a problem finding a chair or with chair hogs,,,,,,so i for one have not complained about it.....

Going on the Fantasy in October and will prove it to anyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived