Who is the chair-hog?

kris12

I think you are right it's not us but the question should be how do you handle the chair hogs? We preprint forms with the Ships name on it signed by the Captain of coarse that Say: Your chair has gone ____mins. with no one in it. Then you leave another blank for more mins. etc. Then after one hour of no show you place another preprinted form again signed by Captain that says:

Your chair was unoccupied for more than one hour and your "things" have been placed by the pool edge on the other side. Please be more courteous of others next time, thank you , the Captain. Then you move the "things" to the other side and claim your new found chair. When the person finally comes back hand them the form saying this was in the chair when you found it. Note: this only works with couples. Families usually leave Grandma to watch the group of chairs for her family that never shows up to be with her.

We just came home 12 days from our first cruise upon the Conquest and I had informed our group of 38 that we are not supposed to save lounge chairs..noone from our group ever did.

I would go up to Lido around 7am to grab a couple coffees and fruit and would see people saving chairs in their pajamas. Hard to find 2 or 3 chairs together at one time. I would luckily find two together and needless to say there would be at least 3-4 chairs in the near vicinity that were vacant albiet for a flip-flop or book. real nice...it made many of our group frustrated as we could never have 4 o 5 of us together. it wasnt fun. I will go for you idea.....:rolleyes:

May be expanded to seat hogs too. Those are the ones who hit the auditorium an hour before the show and save 14 seats up front that no one will be in until the last second. Signs in there and in the Capers say - no saving seats!! You would think that those who go crusiing would have more manners wouldn't you? You'd be wrong. And Granny you are right on target! :)

I think you are right it's not us but the question should be how do you handle the chair hogs? We preprint forms with the Ships name on it signed by the Captain of coarse that Say: Your chair has gone ____mins. with no one in it. Then you leave another blank for more mins. etc. Then after one hour of no show you place another preprinted form again signed by Captain that says:

Your chair was unoccupied for more than one hour and your "things" have been placed by the pool edge on the other side. Please be more courteous of others next time, thank you , the Captain. Then you move the "things" to the other side and claim your new found chair. When the person finally comes back hand them the form saying this was in the chair when you found it. Note: this only works with couples. Families usually leave Grandma to watch the group of chairs for her family that never shows up to be with her.

I love the idea of preprinted forms, I will take some this July. However, my hubby and friend will have no problem moving someone's stuff.

I've found an effective way to save a chair is to leave several tubes of ointment on it - for poison ivy, athlete's foot, and herpes - along with a book titled, "Living with Contagious Rashes."

Nobody will even TOUCH your stuff, much less move it! :p

Fortunately, me and the DH are early risers so getting a chair has never been an issue for us. I don't like to waste one minute of daylight sleeping in the cabin...I'd rather get up, throw on a bathing suit and sleep on the deck!!

I prefer the early morning sunlight...not as harsh....so when the sun gets hot during the mid afternoon...we usually leave our chairs for the later risers!! They are usually thrilled to take them.

*jumping up and down*....me, me, me....one chair for me...one for my hubby and one for my "stuff"...my book needs a chair too ya' know! :p

But since we usually have a balcony or a suite it doesn't happen very often...and then mostly during lunch...there's something about those, really bad, hamburgers served on the Lido deck that I MUST HAVE...with a "foo-foo" drink and calypso music....don't ask me why...it's just a thing....*L*

Chair hogs drive me crazy. When I was on the Horizon, I went down to the pool around 8:30 AM and all the chairs closest to the pool were taken. I enjoyed my second row seat and watched as the chairs in front of me stayed empty till around 11 AM when one person of a group of 6 showed up - the rest of this group showed up around 1PM! I think next time I encounter this, I'll just take a chair and if someone questions me I'll say, " the lady who was sitting here left and said I could have it".

Hmmm. chair hogs. I am solo traveler, and therefore only need 1 chair. I am an early riser (not by choice mind you, am insomniac) so I am up, in a chair, watching sun come up, waiting for lido breakfast to open so I can dash over, grab my unhealthy breakfast, soak in the early morning rays, and read my book. It never ceases to amaze me how many people come up, lay out their belongings on 3 or 4 chairs, surrounding me, and then disappear for hours. Other people will see this "stuff" next to me, assume (wrongly) that I am with those people, glare at me and walk by. Now once in a while someone will - not glaring at me- ask me if the people are coming back, I always answer honestly. "I have know idea who this stuff belongs to, I have been here all morning, and no one has come back to claim these chairs, feel free to sit." It's so much nicer if the people sitting next to you are actually present on occasion. No necessarily for the conversation, but just to avoid the glares:)

I'd love an assigned lounge. :) It became a real pain in the butt to find an empty chair (let alone a quiet place) on the Miracle last August, but by the last few days I was just so fed up I started moving the stuff people were using to mark their chairs for hours on end.

-Maggi

When I told my friend that I was going on a cruise, one of the "tips" she gave me was to go put your stuff on a chair right when you get up. "No one will take it or move it" I think when I get back, I will mention that I hate people who do that.

After reading so many posts about chair hogs I can say that if someone is so rude as to save a chair for later use, I would have no problem taking their personal items off and utilizing the chair myself.

I get up very early every morning, even on my days off (usually 3:30am). I know that I will be out and about early. Hopefully I won't have a problem.

Only one day have I ever encountered chairhogs to the extreme. When it seemed every single deck chair within view had a towel or other personal item in it, but not a warm body. So I think with 3 cruises in, that's not too bad.

Anyway, I don't let such things stop me. I'll sit at one of the tables, eating breakfast or lunch or both ( :D ) just watching. If by the time I finish eating, usually about 20 minutes, and the chairs I'm eyeing are still unoccupied, I'll take it. I'll just pick up the brush or book or shoe and turn it into Lost & Found and place my now well fed body in the chair.

Now where's the cocktail waitstaff with my foo-foo drink?

Archived