Suite priviledges for minors in connecting room?

Last year, we were in a Royal Family Suite along with a connecting balcony. We had 3 minors in the connecting balcony and when we checked in, our minor children were given gold/suite cards even though they weren't actually in the suite. We were told at check-in that this was done b/c they were minors.

I don't recall reading about this and am wondering if this is "policy" or is this one of those inconsistent things that varies ship-by-ship?

Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks

Last year, we were in a Royal Family Suite along with a connecting balcony. We had 3 minors in the connecting balcony and when we checked in, our minor children were given gold/suite cards even though they weren't actually in the suite. We were told at check-in that this was done b/c they were minors.

I don't recall reading about this and am wondering if this is "policy" or is this one of those inconsistent things that varies ship-by-ship?

Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks

It was very nice for you that they did this. :) However, I can't help thinking that it was NOT fair for all the other passengers in balconies - that did not get gold/suite cards for their use as well.

I emailed RC a question about minors and suite benefits when we did our cruise last summer. Instead of putting all 3 kids in the GS with us, we got (2 of) them an inside. I wanted to be sure that my minor children would be allowed to use the same 'benefits' as we did.

There are only a few things like show seating, pool lounges, and overflow dining in Portofino, but I wanted to be sure we would not be separated. They assured me that minor children would be included in all benefits except for happy hour in CL (but they should be allowed in for breakfast as a suite passenger).

The person I ended up speaking to on the phone was glad I had bought the suite/families with minor children topic up so maybe it is something they are reconfiguring as many parents who book suites book their minor children into adjoining/nearby balconies and insides.

They got the gold suite cards because children receive the same status as the parents. Since you were in a suite they received the same staus as you. If they would have been over 18 they would not have received the gold cards.

Children also receive the same gold/platium/diamiond status as their parents. We found this out when booking our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise. We chose to book a Jr. suite for me and my hubby with a connecting balcony room for our two teenage boys. Both rooms were credited with the balcony discounts for diamond members even though the kids have only been on 4 cruises. Because they are with us they are considered Diamond members too. This status will also follow them when they turn eighteen.

They got the gold suite cards because children receive the same status as the parents. Since you were in a suite they received the same staus as you. If they would have been over 18 they would not have received the gold cards.

Children also receive the same gold/platium/diamiond status as their parents. We found this out when booking our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise. We chose to book a Jr. suite for me and my hubby with a connecting balcony room for our two teenage boys. Both rooms were credited with the balcony discounts for diamond members even though the kids have only been on 4 cruises. Because they are with us they are considered Diamond members too. This status will also follow them when they turn eighteen.

But status does not mean gold cards - our children have never had gold cards, so unless it has changed in the last year or so.

Yes, they will get the same discounts, and of course will be able to use the same rooms as you (except CL in the evening).

Archived