Canadian at par

Putterdude

Our TA advised us this morning that Princess is now booking in Canadian dollars at par. This may be a good time for Canadians to book and perhaps for those who booked in $CDN a few months ago to investigate getting their cruise re-priced at the current rate.

Our TA advised us this morning that Princess is now booking in Canadian dollars at par. This may be a good time for Canadians to book and perhaps for those who booked in $CDN a few months ago to investigate getting their cruise re-priced at the current rate.

I always book in USD and was quoted same price with Princess .Got an extra $300 off when I signed in.:)

I always book in USD and was quoted same price with Princess .Got an extra $300 off when I signed in.:)

I no longer book in US$ if I am booking a cruise sometime out. A few years ago when the CDN$ dropped suddenly we had almost a $1,000 difference to make up. So short term I will take the risk, long term no. We saved $700 off Princess's rack rate by booking thru our TA.:)

Yes, back in January I noticed that the web site prices had changed to par with US pricing. This was great because I had not booked yet and was planning all along to book in US funds because even with the exchange it was still a better deal. I guess Princess realized that many Canadians were booking in US dollars? There really was quite a difference between the two prices before the change!

Connie

Bought FCC's last year in US$ and they tell us we can't use them unless we buy in US$ ?? :mad:

Actually, that makes perfect sense to me. If we would have bought them in Canadian Dollars, I am sure it would be the same, only able to book in Canadian funds.

Bought FCC's last year in US$ and they tell us we can't use them unless we buy in US$ ?? :mad:

We have them in $US but our TA always arranges the conversion with Princess. Maybe you should speak with your TA or Princess again, we certainly have not had a problem in the past.

This doesn't seem to be true with their website prices. I have just checked an October Transatlantic I am interest in and it shows Inside $2,614 CAD and Balcony $3,664 CAD. If I use a proxy server to show me as a US address it shows Inside at $2,490 US and Balcony at $3,490 US. This works out to be $1.00 US to $1.05 CAD and, while not a bad rate, it is not par. I also checked a September cruise with the same results.

I expect I will pass on the TA cruise as X and RCL are less than half the price and it looks like it might be time to see what other cruise lines are like.

This doesn't seem to be true with their website prices. I have just checked an October Transatlantic I am interest in and it shows Inside $2,614 CAD and Balcony $3,664 CAD. If I use a proxy server to show me as a US address it shows Inside at $2,490 US and Balcony at $3,490 US. This works out to be $1.00 US to $1.05 CAD and, while not a bad rate, it is not par. I also checked a September cruise with the same results.

I expect I will pass on the TA cruise as X and RCL are less than half the price and it looks like it might be time to see what other cruise line are like.

Are you looking at this year? Putterdude is likely talking about 2012.

Are you looking at this year? Putterdude is likely talking about 2012.

You are correct. I just did the same check for the 2012 cruise and it does show CAD at par with US$. So they are using different conversion rates for 2011 and 2012.

I'm in the same situation as you are with US FCC's.

Just go out and buy your US $'s now while the Cdn $ is above par. With my borderless US account at the bank I was able to buy $2000 US for 2002.40 Cdn on Saturday.

I expect I will pass on the TA cruise as X and RCL are less than half the price and it looks like it might be time to see what other cruise lines are like.

I can't confirm or deny this information as I have a home in AZ where I live for about 5.5 months per year and that is where I am posting from right now. However, just today I confirmed a booking for 2013 with a TA who is Princess's highest volume agent in Canada and # 2 or 3 in the world and I simply asked the question "what kind of a exchange rate was Princess charging" and the answer was "at par". Now I didn't qualify it as to cruise, month or year. One thing that comes to mind is that Princess may not have updated all of their pricing in $CDN...you know another Princess computer "glitch". :rolleyes:

I no longer book in US$ if I am booking a cruise sometime out. A few years ago when the CDN$ dropped suddenly we had almost a $1,000 difference to make up. So short term I will take the risk, long term no. We saved $700 off Princess's rack rate by booking thru our TA.:)

Thats for two I book solo so it makes $50 each more than myself.You should get more than that surely from a TA ?

My FCC are in USD so I have to book in USD.The markets are so up and down it could reverse again.

Thats for two I book solo so it makes $50 each more than myself.You should get more than that surely from a TA ?

My FCC are in USD so I have to book in USD.The markets are so up and down it could reverse again.

As a solo you saved $300 or presumably a total of $600, as a couple we saved $700, what am I missing here?

Ok you saved $100 great:)

No problem, I hate to leave money on the table and you had me worried for a moment ....now you, Cruise Junky and I need to watch for price reductions... if we are all doing the same cruise.:)

No problem, I hate to leave money on the table and you had me worried for a moment ....now you, Cruise Junky and I need to watch for price reductions... if we are all doing the same cruise.:)

For what we paid for 21 days, I will be stunned if we get a price reduction. I'm honestly still shaking my head. Gob Smacked would be how I was feeling yesterday.

Looks like we all have very nice cruises planned

I love the way that sounds!!

I'm in the same situation as you are with US FCC's.

Just go out and buy your US $'s now while the Cdn $ is above par. With my borderless US account at the bank I was able to buy $2000 US for 2002.40 Cdn on Saturday.

My TA has been able to have them switched, did it for our FCC in CAD and had Princess change them into USD for the deposit on our last cruise.

We just booked the 2012 cruise in CAD and only have FCC in USD. TA said she didn't see a problem.

Snowbird

My TA has been able to have them switched, did it for our FCC in CAD and had Princess change them into USD for the deposit on our last cruise.

We just booked the 2012 cruise in CAD and only have FCC in USD. TA said she didn't see a problem.

Snowbird

We have a B of A credit card here in the US but what happens in our case the value of the FCC ($100) gets credited to the card then the same card is charged with $100 CDN....it's as simple as that.:)

Archived