Mini Review, NCL Sun 3/12-18 2011

ew101

We are back on NCL, after straying to Carnival and RCCL for a few years after NCL got out of the 3/4 day market.

We are not fans of Farcus decorating and only American food and not having a promenade deck, so left Carnival for good.

I would not find coffee early in the morning as I prowled the RCCL ships as my family slept, so left RCCL for good. Note they have coffee at 5:30 in Motel Sixes...

It's a pleasure to be back on NCL

Good stuff:

Tidy well designed ship

Lots of fun shops

Food is lovely and in random places - wings in the sports bar, bits of Indian and Indonesian here and there on the aft cafe

Waffles in the Brazilian steak place

Low prices for cabins- they capture the feel of a fancier more expensive line

Really a nice experience in the main dining rooms

Not massive portions - just right

Excellent desserts

The Denise Canby Trio was great to dance to - they are on the ship until 7/19 in the Observation Lounge (also a nice space)

Very strong sense the crew is having fun and here for passengers to have a good time on vacation- some lines they are there to make you follow company policy

I got to hide in the library and write in the mornings - there was often a conference room open - nobody bothered me - on other lines I would have been chased out

No lines

Spring Breakers were well managed

Met some nice friends

Minimal smoke

Amazing drink selections (Pusser's Rum, Goslings Black Seal rum, nice mu-mu mixes)

Real Promenade deck for walks

Comprehensive navigation briefings

Soft wood not fake Vegas everywhere

You can take the water taxi to the (public) beach @Phillipsburg and buy passes at the British Colonial Hilton @Nassau

Bad stuff

It had to end - though they said they had 400! do back to backs last time

After balconies (8278) get a bit of stack soot + noise from the club - but the view is lovely

Could not shut off ac in the room - it was slient and adjustable - but an open window/door seems like it should be ok

Piped in music was everywhere (except the Library)

Ship needs a bit of minor repair - little stuff - paint, curtains etc.

Carry off debarkation the last day was a mob they need to say "please debark before 10:15 - not all at once at 8:00"

Las Ramblas was a disappointment - it's a bar with a few (4) tapas - and some more dance lessons would be good

With Freestyle you miss the bonding with the wait staff at your table, but scheduled meals are a hassle - so it is good

Oh you stayed in "our" cabin. :D

I so miss that cabin. We loved it. I took pictures of it and the balcony, the link is in my signature.

Did you take any pictures that you would like to share? :)

Good stuff:

Tidy well designed ship

Lots of fun shops

Food is lovely and in random places - wings in the sports bar, bits of Indian and Indonesian here and there on the aft cafe

Excellent desserts

The Denise Canby Trio was great to dance to - they are on the ship until 7/19 in the Observation Lounge (also a nice space)

Very strong sense the crew is having fun and here for passengers to have a good time on vacation- some lines they are there to make you follow company policy

I got to hide in the library and write in the mornings - there was often a conference room open - nobody bothered me - on other lines I would have been chased out

No lines

Met some nice friends

Minimal smoke

Amazing drink selections (Pusser's Rum, Goslings Black Seal rum, nice mu-mu mixes)

You can take the water taxi to the (public) beach @Phillipsburg and buy passes at the British Colonial Hilton @Nassau

Bad stuff

After balconies (8278) get a bit of stack soot + noise from the club - but the view is lovely

Could not shut off ac in the room - it was slient and adjustable - but an open window/door seems like it should be ok

Carry off debarkation the last day was a mob they need to say "please debark before 10:15 - not all at once at 8:00"

Las Ramblas was a disappointment - it's a bar with a few (4) tapas - and some more dance lessons would be good

With Freestyle you miss the bonding with the wait staff at your table, but scheduled meals are a hassle - so it is good

BINGO on the crew!!!!!

It is my favorite thing about NCL!

Loved your lists and agree with you :)

We are back on NCL, after straying to Carnival and RCCL for a few years after NCL got out of the 3/4 day market.

We are not fans of Farcus decorating and only American food and not having a promenade deck, so left Carnival for good.

I would not find coffee early in the morning as I prowled the RCCL ships as my family slept, so left RCCL for good. Note they have coffee at 5:30 in Motel Sixes...

It's a pleasure to be back on NCL

Good stuff:

Tidy well designed ship

Lots of fun shops

Excellent desserts

No lines

Met some nice friends

Minimal smoke

Bad stuff

great mini review and glad you had an overall positive experience. I can't wait for the next 11 months to go by so we can cuise the Sun again. I know what you mean about self debarkation. I think they need to find some way to control it, put limits on it or something. What, I have no idea, but we witnessed the same thing on the Spirit last month. It was a madhouse. When the cruiselines first put the policy into place it seemed to work wonderfully well, now all lines seem to have problems with it.

I am sorry to hear your comments about Las Rambles, it is one of my favoritie things about the Sun.

Yes, the bonding is missed with freestyle, but the pros outweigh this we think. We would never go back to traditional dining.

Nita

I am curious to hear the history of this concept. We have been in a lot of Tapas places so you can actually at a meal at them. These even at Downtown Disney are a tribute to a really interesting part of the world. So when it started, did they have an actual menu as opposed to a few little items in the case? One idea for NCL is to keep a percentage of the extra revenue for these venues on the ship- so they can buy costumes, improve menus and even bring on venue- specific entertainers.

I am curious to hear the history of this concept. We have been in a lot of Tapas places so you can actually at a meal at them. These even at Downtown Disney are a tribute to a really interesting part of the world. So when it started, did they have an actual menu as opposed to a few little items in the case? One idea for NCL is to keep a percentage of the extra revenue for these venues on the ship- so they can buy costumes, improve menus and even bring on venue- specific entertainers.

We have sailed the Sun twice, but it has been awhile I admit. They had a relatively good selection of Tapas, certainly more than 4 as the Op said, and yet, not like you would actually get in Spain. We were able to make meal out of them. The first time we didn't realize how full we were and decided to head to the buffet (the only time we ever had dinner at a buffet on a ship) well, we soon realized just how full we were. The second time, we just waited a few hours and went to the sports bar for a snack.

Nita

There is no charge for the tapas on the SUN, yes they are in a 'lounge' but you don't have to order a drink at all. We had a lovely selection on the day we finally 'discovered' Las Ramblas. I was under the impression that the tapas list changed daily so you wouldn't neccessarily get the same thing every day.

I know what you mean about self debarkation. I think they need to find some way to control it, put limits on it or something. What, I have no idea, but we witnessed the same thing on the Spirit last month. It was a madhouse. When the cruiselines first put the policy into place it seemed to work wonderfully well, now all lines seem to have problems with it.

>> When it started, carry off was rare, now a guess is >25% percent. They can maybe ask the later flights to wait 1/2 hour or so.

Archived