Can't believe I'm asking a clothing question...

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

Leaving on the Crown in a couple of weeks, and we plan to try out the Crown Grill for the first time. I was under the impression that smart casual clothing was fine for the specialty restaurants, even on formal nights (which is when we want to try it).

However, my TA says that the specialty restaurants are formal dress on formal night. Which is it? I thought I had read that smart casual was OK on Princess's web site, but I'm not finding it right now. Any help?

Thanks,

Mike

Smart Casual is the rule in specialty restaurants however some MDs have been known to be difficult about it. I never found a specific Princess written rule (big surprise there).

That said, since it is formal night many people will dress up in the specialty restaurants as well. I went halfway, threw on a dress shirt and jacket but no tie since I had the jacket anyway. But you don't have to.

Since we no longer do formal nights, we occasionally eat at the Crown Grill instead. Never had a problem with casual clothes. When making your reservation, make sure you ask if that is still the norm so you won't be turned away.....enjoy:)

Can anyone point me to the link on Princess web site that states that the specialty restaurants are smart casual all the time. I'm thinking I should print it out and take it with me just in case. :p I've searched, but haven't found it.

Thanks,

Mike

Can anyone point me to the link on Princess web site that states that the specialty restaurants are smart casual all the time. I'm thinking I should print it out and take it with me just in case. :p I've searched, but haven't found it.

Thanks,

Mike

It seems that since they've redone the web site, the comment about the Specialty restaurants being casual all the time has been removed.

Thanks,

Mike

The best I can find is from the Onboard Atmosphere section of the FAQ: Cruise Answer Place: Onboard Experience

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. For details regarding this, please see the section on Formal Wear."

No mention of Specialty Restaurants

If you really want to go formal without paying for the extra bag you could rent the formal wear for delivery to your stateroom...but then again, it's almost cheaper to pay for the extra suitcase.

Ciao for now!!!

As others have said it might vary by ship. However, on the Coral in Alaska last August I wore just a long sleeve and slacks in Sabatini's and the Bayou Cafe on the formal nights with no problems. There were few if any men in jacket and tie or tux. There were quite a few suits and tux's to be seen after dinner however.

As others have said it might vary by ship. However, on the Coral in Alaska last August I wore just a long sleeve and slacks in Sabatini's and the Bayou Cafe on the formal nights with no problems. There were few if any men in jacket and tie or tux. There were quite a few suits and tux's to be seen after dinner however.

That was before they removed the comment about it being casual on all nights. If they'll follow the typical dress code of the dining rooms, then a long sleeve shirt might still be OK.

Just off Ruby & we ate in both restaurants without formal wear or a long sleeve shirt for my husband. He wore short sleeve silk shirts...no problem.

If you go to Crown Grill DON'T miss the chocolate dessert!!!! The rib eye was awesome as well. We were told that Sabitini's was going to change in the next few months to plated food in order to cut down on the time spent there for dinner. It takes about 3 hours.

Jan

Just off Ruby & we ate in both restaurants without formal wear or a long sleeve shirt for my husband. He wore short sleeve silk shirts...no problem.

If you go to Crown Grill DON'T miss the chocolate dessert!!!! The rib eye was awesome as well. We were told that Sabitini's was going to change in the next few months to plated food in order to cut down on the time spent there for dinner. It takes about 3 hours.

Jan

I agree it takes much to long to eat but what do you mean by "plated food"? Something like the main dining room where they bring out the complete meal under cover with all the veggies?

We've always gone on a night when there's nothing else to do since when you do finish dinner there are usually no seats left in the show lounges.

We go to the Crown Grill on one formal night each week-have been doing this the last 6 years-each time we dress as business casual[dress pants and shirts]-no tie or jacket-never turned away, In fact in the Caribbean Princess last December we ate three times at the Crown Grille and only one couple wore formal attire during a 2 hour meal we were there. Everyone we saw dressed business casual

In the past we normally would skip a formal night and go to the Steakhouse. We were told here on CC before our cruise last month that you needed to wear formal attire even in the specialty restaurants which I doubted.

Our Patters on the Grand stated that formal wear WAS required in the main dining rooms AND the steakhouse. We didn't try on formal night so I don't know if they were actually enforcing it.

Strangely it did not address Sabatini's :-)

If you go to Crown Grill DON'T miss the chocolate dessert!!!! Jan

ohhhhh, Jan, did you have to remind me about that dessert???? I had it last month on the Golden, in the Crown Grill, I haven't thought of it in at least a week.... thought I was getting past it... where the tissue, here goes the drool! :D

I just posted about the formal attire issue in specailty restaurants issue in another thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28464482#post28464482

In short, I had this confirmed by a contact at Princess. Wanted to share this as broadly as possible so that others aren't taken by surprise as I was.

I just posted about the formal attire issue in specailty restaurants issue in another thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28464482#post28464482

In short, I had this confirmed by a contact at Princess. Wanted to share this as broadly as possible so that others aren't taken by surprise as I was.

It appears as though they got tired of arguing with the people on formal evenings.

Just thing about how much easier it will be to make reservations now that the place will be less crowded. :D

We just came off the Crown a few weeks ago. We dressed up for the first formal night but decided against if for the second. We specifically asked the Maitre d' (Neville) if it would be acceptable to dress smart casual on that night in the Crown Grill and he told us it would be no problem. In fact, he even went and made the reservation for us. There were a few others dressed casually, but most were dressed in formal wear.

Everyone, thanks for the replies. I appreciate the responses...

It's a bit disconcerting to me that they would be ambiguous with the language on the web site.

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests."

Why would they not specifically address the specialty restaurants in this sentence, does it mean overall they are not included in this requirement?

Mike

From another thread:

Go to Princess.com and download the latest Princess Cruise Answer Book.

Scroll down to page 28, Onboard Dining & nightlife and look at the lower right hand corner of the page under "Casual Dining Venues"

This is what it says..

"When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices even on formal nights. Whether it be one of our specialty restaurants, the 24 hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the Pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill or 24 hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us.”

From another thread:

Go to Princess.com and download the latest Princess Cruise Answer Book.

Scroll down to page 28, Onboard Dining & nightlife and look at the lower right hand corner of the page under "Casual Dining Venues"

This is what it says..

"When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices even on formal nights. Whether it be one of our specialty restaurants, the 24 hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the Pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill or 24 hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us.”

Yes, that is what I was looking for. Now, here is what is interesting. What you quote is in the downloaded version of the answer book. The "online" version on princess.com says this:

"When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices – even on formal nights. Whether it be the 24-hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill, or 24-hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us."

This is what I'm talking about, the downloaded version has what you highlighted, and the princess.com version doesn't. Ugh....

Mike

Yes, that is what I was looking for. Now, here is what is interesting. What you quote is in the downloaded version of the answer book. The "online" version on princess.com says this:

"When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices – even on formal nights. Whether it be the 24-hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill, or 24-hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us."

This is what I'm talking about, the downloaded version has what you highlighted, and the princess.com version doesn't. Ugh....

Mike

Ditto. That's my frustration, as well.

As someone who is responsible for coordinating revisions of web-based info at my job, I know that sometimes it's difficult to remember every place things are posted. I suspect it's an unintentional discrepancy. Which doesn't help any of us at all, really. Ugh is right.

Archived