Europe Sept or Oct 2012

kat9661

We are looking at the September/October 2012 round trip sailings from Barcelona on the Solstice. Currently a 1A on the October 14 sailing is around $900 cheaper than the September 20th sailing. This is our first cruise in Europe and wonder if there is an advantage for the September sailing over the October. The September date is more attractive to us for various reasons but we are not sure it's worth the extra $900 dollars.

I look forward to the advice from all those with experience in the Med. This is our first trip over seas and we are so excited!

May and October are off the peak tourist season for Europe - as such less people means less demand and therefore lower prices. You likely will be able to score significantly lower airfare in October versus September. Only downside I can think of is the weather will be a bit chillier (though likely still nice in that area) and it will get dark a bit earlier.

We took a Med cruise in Oct. 2000 and again Oct. 2008 because, not only was the price better, we also wanted to travel when it wouldn't be so crowded. The weather for both cruises was PERFECT. Shirtsleeves during the day and a light jacket or sweater for the evening.

lovemylab- That's the one we are booked on too but I wasn't fully commited to the date. We did score a great 1A hump cabin by booking so early and I guess we can put the savings towards the drink package! It's nice to chat with someone on the the same sailing. It's so far away but it's never to early to start planning!!

Loracpin2- Glad to hear you had two great trips in October. I think I'll stop second guessing my decision and stay with October. My husband likes it a little cooler anyway so that will be good!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm driving myselft crazy obsessing over this cruise. Now I'm looking at the Serenade of the Seas for September. The pricing is the same for the Sept. cruise on Serenade vs the Oct. sailing on Soltice. We have sailed both lines and enjoy both. The Serenade has 6 hours more in Venice leaving at 8:30pm vs 2:00pm on the Soltice. Any thoughts??

Solstice class as fantastic - I certainly would not trade a europe cruise on one of them, for one of the slighly older RCL ships but it is also important to think about what you want from the ship and line - Celebrity to me, is a bit more refined food wise, entertainment more laid back and slightly older passengers - RCL is more lively

Either will be great - as any day cruising is fab!

That's what I thought Claire....we would be giving up a newer ship experience and Celebrity. I just wondered since the cruise is so port intensive if the extra time in Venice and the chance of warmer weather made up for an older ship on RCL. I could just cough up the extra 900 bucks and go in Sept on Soltice!

I also saw the Serenade itineraries but we've decided to stick with Celebrity. Having more time in Venice would be nice but we figure it's such a port intensive cruise that we'll appreciate having the extra time on the ship as well.

We also would rather go to Montenegro and Dubrovnik vs. Ravenna and Split.

As for weather, we figure we have no control over it. So we're sticking with the ship that gets better reviews :)

What's really nice is your air and hotel stays will be less too!!

Look at wunderground.com and you can enter some of your ports for the month and date and see a historical look at temps, precip, sun etc for that date. It will give you a really good idea of temp at each port. Not just a range. It can vary a lot on that one itinerary.

I also saw the Serenade itineraries but we've decided to stick with Celebrity. Having more time in Venice would be nice but we figure it's such a port intensive cruise that we'll appreciate having the extra time on the ship as well.

We also would rather go to Montenegro and Dubrovnik vs. Ravenna and Split.

As for weather, we figure we have no control over it. So we're sticking with the ship that gets better reviews :)

You caught me lovemylab! lol. I can't help myself looking at the September dates which I'd prefer but they are so costly compared to October.

You make some very good points, my only other concern was the Venice rainy season begins in October. I'm going to stop obsessing and stay put with the October sailing. We have a great cabin and my husband would actually like the cooler weather.

Thanks all!

What's really nice is your air and hotel stays will be less too!!

Look at wunderground.com and you can enter some of your ports for the month and date and see a historical look at temps, precip, sun etc for that date. It will give you a really good idea of temp at each port. Not just a range. It can vary a lot on that one itinerary.

eandj, that's good to know about the airfare and hotels being less. We will probably stay at least two or maybe three nights pre cruise.

I'll check out wunderground.com too.

Thanks!

Just an update to everyone who has been so helpful with my obsession over sailing in September vs October. We decided to go with the September 20 sailing on Soltice and I made the switch this morning. The Septmeber sailing works much better for us in many ways and I can now move on with the planning knowing I made the best decision for us.

Thanks for all of you that offered suggestions! Happy sailing!

We are looking at the September/October 2012 round trip sailings from Barcelona on the Solstice. Currently a 1A on the October 14 sailing is around $900 cheaper than the September 20th sailing. This is our first cruise in Europe and wonder if there is an advantage for the September sailing over the October. The September date is more attractive to us for various reasons but we are not sure it's worth the extra $900 dollars.

I look forward to the advice from all those with experience in the Med. This is our first trip over seas and we are so excited!

Both months are fine, but if it is nice to not have to take long and short sleeve shirts and coats. I like it warm. We did our cruise out of Barcelona March 18-27 and we had to take coats, which we had to take off when it got warm later in the day (in Barcelona).

Barcelona is great, make sure you spend about three days there so you can see Monserratt as well.

Both months are fine, but if it is nice to not have to take long and short sleeve shirts and coats. I like it warm. We did our cruise out of Barcelona March 18-27 and we had to take coats, which we had to take off when it got warm later in the day (in Barcelona).

Barcelona is great, make sure you spend about three days there so you can see Monserratt as well.

4774Papa- I agree it's difficult to pack for both warm and cool temps. Our prior cruises have all been warm weather. I'll have to sit down with a spread sheet to figure out my outfits for our cruise especially with the luggage weight restrictions!

We are currently planning to fly to Barcelona 3 days ahead giving us our arrival day and one full day for touring. We have the ability to fly our sooner if need be.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts!

Archived