Regent Seven Seas or Silversea to Alaska?

lstewart123

We are first time cruisers, ages 40 & 56. We travel quite a bit and stay in 5 star hotels. We'd like the most luxurious cruise line, but it's hard to tell if there is a great difference between these two lines. If there is, can anyone point it out? We are pretty active and will probably do lots of excursions. We're pretty big foodies as well, but from what I can tell, cruises aren't really known for their fantastic food. Any advice?

I have been on both Regent and Silverseas. The main difference is the Silverseas are much smaller. A few years ago we took an Alaskan cruise on Regent and were very happy with it.

You will be happy with the food on either line, IMO, but what you are thinking of as cruise food is more likely the mass market lines.

The story and pictures of our Alaskan cruise are on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com

We would be happy to answer any questions.

I haven't sailed on Silver Seas but I went on Regent 7 Seas Voyager a couple of months ago.

We loved the fact that all .. or at least 99% of the excursions were included. Food was superb!.. Best steak ever!. Everything is pretty much included, we liked that a lot!

If you go for entertainment, then I would try something different.. it was a little too quiet for us at night but we had no problems with that. We watched the gazillion movies they had on demand (free)

;)

I guess I'm a little wary of the all-inclusive thing. Will that translate into not as great excursions as what I'd pay for on Silversea? And I'm a little nervous of this notion that some cabin locations are much worse than others- like vibrational noise, etc. I'm kind of a neurotic sleeper as it is!!:). As for the Crystal cruises, we'd love those but we can't go before August and really need to keep it to a 7 night cruise (2 elementary aged children at home with my mom who will surely be counting the seconds until we return). That said, we really want the nicest one week cruise we can find, as it's our 10 year anniversary and my 40th bday. I'm also looking at Seabourn's Greek isles cruises. Not that particular as to where we go, just want something unique, short, and as 5 star as possible.

Keep in mind that RSSC now has its smallest ship, Navigator, in Alaska. A few years ago they did away with the forward-facing lounge. Now if you want a forward view you will have to stand outside. The only enclosed viewing lounge is rear facing. I think that would be a deciding factor for me.

I guess I'm a little wary of the all-inclusive thing. Will that translate into not as great excursions as what I'd pay for on Silversea? And I'm a little nervous of this notion that some cabin locations are much worse than others- like vibrational noise, etc. I'm kind of a neurotic sleeper as it is!!:). As for the Crystal cruises, we'd love those but we can't go before August and really need to keep it to a 7 night cruise (2 elementary aged children at home with my mom who will surely be counting the seconds until we return). That said, we really want the nicest one week cruise we can find, as it's our 10 year anniversary and my 40th bday. I'm also looking at Seabourn's Greek isles cruises. Not that particular as to where we go, just want something unique, short, and as 5 star as possible.

You really don't want to do Greece in August, unless you truly love very high heat, humidity, hot winds, and locals leaving en masse for cooler climates. It's brutal! Alaska cruising runs only from late May to mid-September, and August is ideal. There will be several ships from different lines at each port, so you will not be alone. There are lots of activities and sight-seeing. Again, you won't be alone. Your cruise cabin MAY be as large as a standard hotel room. I said standard. Alaska cruising is wonderful, but not as "unique' as you may wish. It's been around for years! The food on the lines you've mentioned should meet your standards. Good luck and happy cruising!

Archived