UK - Buenos Aires, KLM or Air France?

digitl

We're looking for return flights between the UK and Buenos Aires next February/March and both KLM (LBA - EZE via AMS) and Air France (MAN - EZE via CDG) offer suitable solutions at similar prices. Is one carrier to be preferred over the other? Are there any significant differences?

We're looking for return flights between the UK and Buenos Aires next February/March and both KLM (LBA - EZE via AMS) and Air France (MAN - EZE via CDG) offer suitable solutions at similar prices. Is one carrier to be preferred over the other? Are there any significant differences?

I am flying with Air France to EZE from MAN via CDG this Monday coming. KLM is currently a codeshare on my CDG/EZE, however as of later this year, KLM will be doing their own flights via AMS. So you will have a choice of the two airlines outright by the time you go next year.

Thanks. I've previously checked out both the KLM and Air France flights and both would be fine, though the KLM out of LBA would save time and the journey to and from MAN. My question was more about KLM v Air France as carriers. We have experience of KLM short haul but not long haul, and have no experience of Air France. After an Iberia flight from EZE to MAD last year we're a little wary of airlines we've not used before (service and meals on Iberia took us back to the low standards of 20 years ago but MAD - SCL using LAN was superb).

I flew Iberia to Chile & back from Argentina on a cruise a few years ago and they were awful...the suitcase went walkies too on the way back.

I always try and get flights with AF/KLM if possible. Flew AF to/from Hong Kong in 2008, KLM to Singapore last year...all from Manchester.

Much better service on the planes that Iberia and BA. Crew are very pleasant...KLM's butterscotch ice cream is nice too...and free along with everything else to eat/drink on board.

I also flew to/from Houston in 2008 with KLM...excellent flights again, very prompt, courteous. Both AF and KLM are my preferred airlines.

I flew Iberia to Chile & back from Argentina on a cruise a few years ago and they were awful...the suitcase went walkies too on the way back.

Looks like they're at least consistent then. They lost both of our suitcases on the way to SCL, one of them for seven days. It finally caught up with us in Punta Arenas with items missing and damaged. Still waiting for them to sort it out.

I always try and get flights with AF/KLM if possible. Flew AF to/from Hong Kong in 2008, KLM to Singapore last year...all from Manchester.

We used Qantas to Hong Kong and then Sydney. Absolutely excellent.

Much better service on the planes that Iberia and BA. Crew are very pleasant...KLM's butterscotch ice cream is nice too...and free along with everything else to eat/drink on board.

I also flew to/from Houston in 2008 with KLM...excellent flights again, very prompt, courteous. Both AF and KLM are my preferred airlines.

I think we'll go with KLM then, even though AF are on sale now and we have to wait another three weeks for KLM to make theirs available.

The AF/KLM product is pretty much the same, the service, food & punctuality is decent enough too. I have yet to experience a bad crew or a mucky plane - unlike some carriers.

The longhaul flights over 9 hours have a buffet set up in the front & rear of the plane and you can go help yourself....this is over and above the meals served (my flight on Monday has an evening meal & breakfast). About an hour or so before landing on the longhaul they usually give out the last of the ice creams etc, rather than have them thrown away at the airport. All FOC of course.

These two airlines are my favourite, always have been and since I cannot stand Gatwick or Heathrow, they also serve me well for connections too at AMS and CDG.

Everything else being equal, I'd choose KLM simply because AMS is an easier airport to navigate than CDG.

Some people absolutely despise CDG. I am not one of them but still prefer AMS.

One nice thing is that your connections at either airport would not require any terminal change or immigration clearances. The CDG connect is within T2E, and AMS is in the extra-Schengen section. So none of the changing buildings that many CDG connects require.

I would be looking at equipment and seating options. If flying as a couple, do either of them us an A330/340. If so, you can get a pair of seats together in the 2-4-2 config. 777s don't offer that, nor do 747s. KL offers some extra legroom for purchase - not completely up to date on what AF offers. I think the AF food is a bit better than KL, but AMS is an easier airport to navigate with more extensive shopping. Purely personal preference.

If in business, KL offers the delft houses.

See....it can get to minutia if you let it.

My Air France flight on Monday from CDG to EZE uses a B777-200ER with 247 seats...several pairs of two at the back. My flight is almost full going by Amadeus GDS CheckMyTrip. The shorthaul from MAN to CDG is Airbus 320.

Last year for KLM to SIN, it was a B777-300ER, a six month old plane, really nice...:) The plane from MAN to AMS was a B737-800 & we got hit by lightning on climb out, carried on to AMS minus a winglet.

True, but for us it usually comes down to price and journey time and then a quick look at seatguru.
When you are going to spend MANY hours in that aluminum (or composite) tube, you should look beyond just price. True...a thousand pound differential would be hard to justify. But, smaller differences may be very well worth the money in terms of overall experience. Also, journey time in itself doesn't tell the tale. I'd gladly spend extra time in great airports, or to avoid tight connections. Give me plenty of time in SIN or HKG or the like. For example, the museum at AMS always gives me a good feeling and refreshes something inside.

Tower Air was well known for having rock-bottom international pricing. They were also as well known for having a miserable onboard experience. Those who bought on price got what they paid for.

Put me in the column labeled value-oriented consumer

Clearly, my one-sentence post was a contraction of reality. That said, we have flown many hours to many destinations around the world and know what works for us.

As for spending time in airports? They're not our destination, simply part of the means of getting there. They have little or nothing to offer compared with Antarctica, the red centre of Australia, the Denali National Park wilderness, Hong Kong, Montevideo...

Archived