UK Blog Post: Will cruising’s grand traditions survive the mega-ship era?

LauraS

• Administrators

One afternoon on my Fred. Olsen cruise last week, a Nintendo Wii game was set up in Boudicca’s Lido Lounge as we sailed from La Palma. It’s all part of Fred. Olsen Cruises’ move to nudge its guests gently into the 21st century by introducing facilities like Wi-Fi in the library, and Zumba dance classes [...]

More...

There's lots of us who danced through the 60s, who are now retired and cruising....and certainly not looking for the formality of old. We're the ones who stop in surprise when told that older people shouldn't wear jeans, or let our hair hang loose on our shoulders...chill, man!:cool:

But some of the oldest of people deal with IT.....my MIL, at 96, prefers using Facebook for chats, as she's so often out when we phone her....

Jo.

we were on boudicca last june, when at sea every afternoon in the lido lounge ten pin bowling game was set up. maybe because of the age group(my wife and i were young things at 61 &64)it was hardly ever used.

two years ago on thomson spirit same game was set up with younger group 'there was too many wanting to play.

yes fred may be trying to move into the 21st century but if the age group on the cruise is anything to go by he still has along way to go.

don't get me wrong we had a great time with a great crowd of people but some were not fit enough to play this game and would rather have a small bet on the dolphin racing or a game of bingo.

as for taditions i think on the the larger family orintated ships maybe, but on smaller british ,ie fred olsen p&o cunard etc.they will be here for a long while yet.

Archived