Host Cecilia - Dream motion question

Stanley

I read on another post that you have sailed on the Dream several times. Can you tell me what you think about the movement of this ship. So many people have stated so many opinions. I'd like to know yours. Thanks.

I read on another post that you have sailed on the Dream several times. Can you tell me what you think about the movement of this ship. So many people have stated so many opinions. I'd like to know yours. Thanks.
Hi Stanley. I've sailed on the Dream in the North Atlantic a few times, on the Baltic Sea once and around Cape Horm once. I gotta be honest and say that it got rough a few times on those sailings. One day in the North Atlantic you couldn't even stand up straight. And sailing on the west side of South America one night dishes in the Trattoria went sliding. But those seemed to be more about the location we were sailing than the ship alone. On average days when the weather was pretty good, I didn't notice any motion that was any different from other ships I've been on. If you're sailing somewhere that's known for rough water at times, then you might get a good dose of rocking from the Dream. But again, I've spent 55 sailing days on the Dream and only had three maybe four rough days.

Cecilia, thank you for your response. We are going to sail on the Dream in the middle of November out of Galveston (Gulf of Mexico). This will be after the hurricane season. We just don't know what to expect and I am prone to motion sickness. I will certainly be prepared. We nearly cancelled the cruise because of what we have been reading on this message board. We've only been on one cruise and that was last summer on the Med where the water is almost calm. Thanks again for your input.

Thank you for that reassuring report. Have you read some of the reviews where the posters really make the motion of the Dream sound horrific? We seriously thought of canceling our cruise.
I think that may have to do with what you're used to. I've been on cruises where you didn't even feel that you were on a ship. It was so smooth. If you're used to smooth sailings, a little bit of rough seas and motion may seem extreme. Having been on many cruises all over the world, I've sailed many different bodies of water and can tell the difference between the inside straits of Alaska compared to the North Atlantic or Pacific oceans. Also, if you're prone to sea sickness then even slight motion may cause problems. I'm not saying that the Dream never has motion issues. I just haven't experienced them much during my sailings and what I have experienced hasn't been enough to cause me to rethink ever sailing on the Dream again.

Aaaaah! I'm SO confused. I have been lucky with Dramamine II when we've done boat (not ship) things. then none of these experience was ever overnight. The only ship I've sailed on was the Galaxy on the Med and there was never one bit of movement. If we were in the cabin we never even knew if we were moving in or out of port. I want to give the Dream a chance. I think I will just take the Dramamine a couple hours before we board and just take it every morning with my vitamins no matter what the movement is or isn't. Again, thanks for your input.

Archived