need help picking tour co in Italy

hockey3

I have come across several private tour companies in Italy I would like to use for my family of five. Can anyone give me some feedback? The companies I am looking at are RomeinLimo, Easy Italy Tours, TourInLimo and LimoinRome.

They all seem to be similar in price and tours. I just want to make sure its someone reliable and waiting for us when we get off the ship. We had some bad experiences in the past in the Caribbean doing our own tours.

With only six posts you're pretty inexperienced with these boards, so we'll be gentle with you.

There are dozens of recent posts on this topic, you can either scroll through the first couple of pages and find them, or use the handy search function. You can start with this one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986987

I have come across several private tour companies in Italy I would like to use for my family of five. Can anyone give me some feedback? The companies I am looking at are RomeinLimo, Easy Italy Tours, TourInLimo and LimoinRome.

They all seem to be similar in price and tours. I just want to make sure its someone reliable and waiting for us when we get off the ship. We had some bad experiences in the past in the Caribbean doing our own tours.

We used Romeinlimo for all of our tours and transfers last summer. We were extremely pleased with them. They receive high recommendations here on Cruise Critic.

I was expecting them to be good...they were GREAT. They exceeded my expectations.

Enjoy your visit to Rome. It is amazing!

This forum is trememdous for providing help in choosing tour companies as well as general travel advice. And if you want to DIY there are lots of specific threads about where to go and which train/bus to take.

Based on the extraordinary amount of positive reviews on RomeinLimo we have them booked for this summer for all our transfers and a couple of tours. You can search the thread devoted solely to them (all 49 pages) and also do a search on the others you mentioned as well to compare. Also Jany, who is the contact person for RomeinLimo, is amazing at getting back with you quickly and answering all your questions.

My philosophy is that while the other companies are probably fine, if the price is about the same then why not go with the one company who has more positive recommendations than any other. You can also check Trip Advisor and find the same results.

We used allarounditaly.net last year for Rome, Florence and Naples. I contacted several companies before I chose allarounditlay. Fabrizio had the best responses and prices. We had a great time. The guides were knowledgeable, flexible and entertaining. We couldn't have asked for more. You can also check other reviews on CC and Trip Advisor.

I will also second Fabrizio and All Around Italy. We had a group of 8, and used him for tours of Florence, Rome and Naples (where we had a fantastic tour of Positano and the Amalfi Coast, as well as Pompeii. In Pompeii he arranged a wonderful guide for us, who took us to areas not seen by the general public.) We went to great local restaurants, and Fabrizio was prompt, reliable, and so much fun to be with. My sister recommended him to friends, who raved about their tours when they came home.

We used Romeinlimo in Sept. 2009 for a tour of Sorrento, Pompeii and Herculaneum. We found them to be punctual and professional. They suggested (and booked) a guide for Pompeii who was very knowledgeable, which enhanced our experience. In Sorrento, our driver recommended a restaurant for lunch. It was on a hill overlooking Sorrento and the food was delicious. Based on that positive experience, we have booked them again for Naples and Florence for our western med. cruise this September.

I have used Limoinrome and they were "fine", then several years ago I used romeinlimo and as said in previous posts; I expected them to be good, but they were outstanding. We have toured dozens of times with them since and would not consider any other company. You will not be disappointment, or be able to say "they were fine". You can't go wrong.

Havbe a great time. They will make Italy "unforgetable"! :):)

We used allarounditaly.net last year for Rome, Florence and Naples. I contacted several companies before I chose allarounditlay. Fabrizio had the best responses and prices. We had a great time. The guides were knowledgeable, flexible and entertaining. We couldn't have asked for more. You can also check other reviews on CC and Trip Advisor.

Did they provide a separate guide once in the city or did the driver just drop you off and wait for you?

We used RomeInLimo for tours of Positono, Ravello and Almalfi. It was wonderful. Also used them for pickup at Rome airport and Rome hotel to ship. There were 8 of us and they did a fantastic job.

We have also used a company called Through Eternity Tours twice in Rome. Their guides are all Italian history or art graduates. They are so passionate about everything. They did nto provide transporation. They will meet you at your hotel and then you either take a cab or start walking depending on how far it is. We have had 4 tours with them and would use them again in Rome. They are the best.

Cheryl

Did they provide a separate guide once in the city or did the driver just drop you off and wait for you?

The only sites they did not accompany us were the sites you had to pay to get into. We had a separate guides for the Vatican and Pompeii. We also had time to wander/shop in Florence, Sorrento and Postiano. In my opinion the drivers were just like guides. We had Fabrizio for Rome and Florence. I believe he is the owner.

I agree, I would look at trip advisor and see the rating there. As a previous poster stated I would look at the companies that have the most recommendations, that many people can't be wrong. That is what I did when I found Romeinlimo several years ago, and I have never been disappointment. For me (and many others) they have always "gone above and beyond".

Good luck with your tours.

Here is the thread regarding RIL, maybe they can answer some of your questions further. Either way; enjoy Italy! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28632595#post28632595

I too would recommend Fabrizio at allarounditaly.net

We used him last year for a tour from Naples. I led an organised group of 24 (3 mini buses through Fabrizio). Also used them for our transport back to the airport.

One of the members in our group had used Fabrizio in Rome and was extremely pleased with the service there.

I really couldn’t recommend Fabrizio highly enough. He will ensure you are taken care of no matter if he or one of his long term friends takes your tour.

With our Naples tour Fabrizio avoided the traffic congestion by heading down the motorway to Ravello first and then back up the Amalfi coast. This proved to be a big advantage speaking to our table at dinner back on the ship afterward. Some other private tours where more than one vehicle was required didn’t have an english speaking guide, Fabrizio would never do this.

Lazily on my part I never posted a review, which I am about to correct.

If you have any questions I’d be more than happy to answer.

AP tours out of Naples was great to work with last year, and we have booked with them again. Sarah at the office will answer your emails immediately. I think you are getting a lot of good recommendations on CC.

Welcome to CC,

When I started research for my 2008 cruise I decided early on NO MORE ship tours and especially no bus tours for places like Italy. In the researching it was frustrating as you only hear good things and recommendations. And when you hear bad things is it just unfair expectations. It was truely difficult as some were a bit more expensive.

In the end I let volume decide for me. Kind of like going with Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry. Yeah them other family sedans probably are good but if so many people go with the volume says something. Does it mean you won't get a lemon or see a recall, of course not.

I like others and the big long thread about RIL was very happy and would use RIL again, YMMV.

As so many others have stated, Rome in Limo is the company we continually turn to again and again. We used them the first time in 2007 and were so impressed with their punctuality and customer satisfaction, that we have booked them twice more.

I can't speak to the other tour operators,I'm sure they're fine, but RIL is in a class by itself!! Shelly

• 3 weeks later...

Archived