Galveston on Public TV

Raven Days

Tonight as I was flipping through the channels on TWC I came across the Public Broadcasting Channel of KLRN and found a show named Galveston Island. I rarely watch things on PBS (probably should) but this really caught my attention and I started watching. I didn't get to see it from the beginning but I will try to set my DVR and catch it on next time. Anyways, anyone who is coming to Galveston either to cruise or just to visit, might be interested in watching this documentary. I am pasting the schedule from KLRN's website below in case someone is interested. It gives a pretty good history of the island and takes a look at the Hurricane of 1900 and of the 2008 hurricane Ike.

3/26/2011 at 1:30 AM [KLRN 9.1 HD]

3/26/2011 at 3:30 PM [KLRN 9.2 (World)]

3/26/2011 at 6:00 PM [KLRN 9.1 HD]

3/28/2011 at 4:00 AM [KLRN 9.1 HD]

4/3/2011 at 3:30 PM [KLRN 9.2 (World)]

4/12/2011 at 7:00 PM [KLRN 9.2 (World)]

Program Description

"Galveston Island" provides a compelling glimpse into the rich history and culture of one of Texas' oldest and most treasured cities. Known as the "City of Firsts," Galveston was the first city in Texas to have electric lighting, the first telephone, and one of the state's first newspapers. Also known as "Sin City of the Gulf" the 1930s and 40s ushered in popular nightclubs, such as the renowned Balinese Room, back room gambling, and a thriving red light district. Filming began in 2008, just two weeks prior to Hurricane Ike. In the aftermath of the storm, the filmmakers captured the resiliency of the islanders during their struggle to rebuild, a scenario that mirrored the determination of the island residents to rebuild after the devastating 1900 storm.

I've seen this program...it's very interesting. My great-grandfather was a survivor of the storm in 1900. I guess he was working there at the time. I knew it was the "Wall Street" of the South, but I don't think I realized it was an immigration port and a major US port. Very interesting and certainly worth watching...us Texans love our Texas history!

The theater musical play "Galveston" that was produced and played to sell out crowds in Galveston at the old small Strand Theater about 5 years ago

will be playing in Houston Theater District sometime this year.

Story about roaring Galveston and the families running the town and all the so called "Sin City of the Gulf".

Attended the play and enjoyed,

since my family is from Galveston

and arrived in early 1850's.

Listened to and heard many stories from Grandfather while growing up!

27 family members died in the 1900 storm!!

...us Texans love our Texas history!

From Seven Keys to Understanding Texas by T. R. Fehrenbach:

"Americans should try to look on Texas in the light of its history... see a people, conquerers and conquered, never entirely leaving their soil with an utmost sacred sense of that soil... see a population that remembers where grandparents are buried and that has changed only superficially from horse to auto in over a hundred years. Then perhaps things fall into place: the pride, the politics, the patriotism--for land and people and symbolic nation... the deep if unarticulated sense of territoriality or peoplehood, the eternal feeling for time and place, and above all, for place and people without regard to time."

Kat 50.gif

Archived