Best port to snorkel: Belize, Roatan, Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

TBOTZON

For all you seasoned cruisers out there we love to snorkel but I want to make sure we do it at the best place or places possible! :D

Our best snorkel experience was at the Captain Cook Memorial on the Big Island of Hawaii. It was phenomenal do any of these ports have something comparable?

For all you seasoned cruisers out there we love to snorkel but I want to make sure we do it at the best place or places possible! :D

Our best snorkel experience was at the Captain Cook Memorial on the Big Island of Hawaii. It was phenomenal do any of these ports have something comparable?

Roatan has the best beach snorkeling

Each one have there advantageous and disadvantageous.

Belize and Roatan are both off of the same reefs that according to some, are second to the great barrier reef. I am hoping RCI Galveston cruise continues to do both because they are two great snorkeling location on one cruise.

The difference between Belize and Roatan is that Roatan you can snorkel right off the beach. Belize, you will need to take a boat to the destinations.

Cozumel has a national park reef not far from where the cruise boats dock. You will also need to arrive by boat because these areas have a lot of tours and you need to make sure you are with a group that will prevent you from being run over. I have not tried any other location in Cozumel.

Grand Cayman has a couple of different reefs. The last summer, I was with newbies and they wanted to see the sting rays. I actually ended having a great time there because we did not go on a cruise excursion to Sting Ray City. We were anchored in an areas where it was just us and they guides got our own personal sting rays. They then took us to a reef near by. This reef was not bad.

There is also a reef and a ship wreck on the other side of the island near where the ship will dock.

Really, you can't go wrong at any one of these western Caribbean ports. Also, don't be scared to go with a vendor. make sure you do your research here first.

Thanks, we have no problem going out on a tour or boat. I found there is almost too much info on the internet on places to go and wanted to make sure we did not miss a special place since we only get one day at each location.

We have visited Sting Ray City twice and absolutely loved it :D

• 3 weeks later...

Last Feb. we were there ready to snorkle and the water was covered in small jelly fish I did not understand why my snorkle was clogged right away till I looked carefully they are small and clear. You never know:(

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Cook Monument in Hawaii is a favorite of ours as well. On this Western Caribbean itinerary, don't miss West Bay Beach in Roatan for the most impressive sights.

West Bay Beach is a long beach and the best snorkeling is in just to the left of 'center' when facing the beach. There is a short pier - you will want to be to the left of that and swim out a little ways. You will pass over a sandy area and then suddenly be in an area that is amazing. There are 'guides' in kayaks over this area, but their purpose is to keep people off the shallow coral. If you swim in the area where they direct you, it feels like a scuba diving experience and you are only snorkeling. Walls of coral and tons of amazing and varied marine life.

We spend the day at Bananarama for good food, drink and impeccable service. Have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be going to these ports in September myself. I have done a lot of research. Here is what I have been told:

I was told in Roatan, a place to snorkel right off the beach is at West Bay in front of Infinity Bay resort.

In Cozumel, everyone is saying the Money Bar is the place to go (although you have to go down these steps to get into the water of iron shore and not much of a "beach") but they say that people are booking excursions with snorkeling companies and they actually bring them to this spot...when you can do it yourself.

Belize-there is a nice coral reef, I'm told, that you have to catch a boat out to that place to snorkel and it's a "long" ride there.

It's probably easier to go to the boards of the different islands that you are visiting and read up on it. Do a search for snorkeling. That's how I decided where we would be snorkeling at on our cruise at the same ports. :)

I will be going to these ports in September myself. I have done a lot of research. Here is what I have been told:

I was told in Roatan, a place to snorkel right off the beach is at West Bay in front of Infinity Bay resort.

In Cozumel, everyone is saying the Money Bar is the place to go (although you have to go down these steps to get into the water of iron shore and not much of a "beach") but they say that people are booking excursions with snorkeling companies and they actually bring them to this spot...when you can do it yourself.

Belize-there is a nice coral reef, I'm told, that you have to catch a boat out to that place to snorkel and it's a "long" ride there.

It's probably easier to go to the boards of the different islands that you are visiting and read up on it. Do a search for snorkeling. That's how I decided where we would be snorkeling at on our cruise at the same ports. :)

P1010055.JPG

PIC_0082.JPG

Cozumel money bar

P1010055.JPG

Cozumel money bar

That looks a lot different than the pictures that I've seen. Is this before they re-did the money bar? What is the yellow stripe at the bottom (like caution tape). I guess I didn't realize it was that close to the ships. That's pretty cool if you can get some good shots of the cruise ships out in the distance like that. I wonder why I can't seem to find anything with pictures of this area on here when I search. Do you have any more?

Archived