Need help with St Pierre et Miquelon

Excuse my ignorance but I have never herad of this port so I am so looking forward to going there. It says on my itinieray France but yet it is in Canada. Any information regarding guides & what to see would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Actually the Collectivité territoriale de Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon are a semi-autonomous collection of eight France-controlled islands off the coast of Newfoundland. Primary industry is fishing.

Le Caillou Blanc (http://www.lecailloublanc.fr/en.html) is an excellent independent tour company. The ship will call at St-Pierre. Quite honestly, the island is tiny - it might be all of 15 km², so you can likely tour Ville de St-Pierre on your own and take in a nice lunch.

Currency is officially the Euro, but Canadian dollars are widely accepted. Enjoy.

Scott.

St. Pierre is listed as France and not Canada because St. Pierre is part of France and not Canada.

I visited there a few years ago on the C.T.M.A. Vacancier from Montreal, and returned to Canada on the ferry to Fortune, Nfld. It is wonderful simply to walk around the brightly colored houses in this French outpost. We took a tour to Île aux Marins, a pleasant enough excursion, and also a fixed-rate taxi tour of the island of St. Pierre. While there are others as well, I doubt you'll find many that will knock your socks off. For the most part you're simply going to someplace off the beaten track. You may want to reserve half a day just for wandering by foot on your own there. Otherwise, take a look at the tours here: http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/english/tours.php

I lived in St Pierre for a few months a number of years ago. The islands are just off the coast of Newfoundland...on a clear day in sight of each other, but the territory is French. It is the last vestige of the huge Nouvelle France that once included half of Canada and the Louisana Terretory. The joy of the place is the French culture, so daily baked french bread, pasteries, very good French wine and knowledgable staff so worth taking home if you can.

There is a small museum that boasts several Al Capone artifacts....there was no prohibition here...Al did business on the islands...but no real need to book shore excursions....people can walk to their summer cottages! A walking tour would be fine if you wanted.

The main things to do are eat, drink good wine and shop for fine European goods in North America. There is a tourism office right on the main square right opposite the jetty and staff there speak fluent english.

People are friendly and will appreciate someone who takes the time to learn a few words such as s'il vous plait and mercie bien.

Have a great time en france!

Molly

Archived