chair hogs

catmech007

Not bad, just funny. My DH is not on this site but a few times a year(when we book a cruise) so he does not know the term "chair hogs". However when we were on the Legend, and sitting out early one morning having our coffee on the Lido, up comes a woman, and she places a towel on one chair, a shirt on the next chair, and a book and bag on the third chair, and then walks off. We went and had breakfast and came back up to have a smoke and of course all the items are still on the chairs, and no one is in them. My DH turns to me and says-"WOW what a chair hog! " LOL I ask him if he has been reading cruise critic, and he says no, but that lady is a pig!:eek:

The problem isn't that there aren't enough chairs on the ship, it's that the chairs by the pool are all 'SAVED' for the hogs. Sure you can sit up on an upper deck, but why should it be always the same people who get prime real estate? I have only been able to sit near the pool(thereby using the pool) on one cruise, and that was a port day when we chose to stay on the ship! In not enforcing the 'no saving' rule, Carnival exacerbates the problem:the more people do it and get away with it, the more other people try to get out early enough, to the point that all the pool chairs are saved by the early morning hours. If Carnival would make a sweep thru every 30 minutes and clear those saved chairs, and did it consistently, maybe that would help!

Tina

I agree with Tina:

Why should I have to get up and out early just to get a chair near the pool because other's are that selfish and reserve theirs for hours at a time-without being there?

this happens in hotels and resorts everywhere and in almost every case that I've experienced staff does a walk through and removes the belongings of chair hogs.

Carnival claims to enforce the no saving policy but from what I am hearing they don't. Maybe more people should complain while on board?

Inspiration Serenity deck, 8 AM, cold, windy...''oh look Mom, lots of chairs available..."

Until you get down there. Then every stinkin chair has a towel on it. I swear it could be snowing and you still couldn't find an open seat. Loud complaints of this met with a smile and shaking of head by the towel steward..he knows....and he knows he's got better things to do than deal with bi**y passengers who freak out because the chair they saved is gone..

I don't find that serene.. I find it irritating as heck. Therefore, rather than stress over it, I find myself a ''plain" chair someplace else and order a monkeyhead.

Besides..who wants to lay on a sweaty cushion anyway?

Like hedgehogs, they can be a bit prickly. I just find a chair somewhere else.

I like this idea... I have never not had a chair. Maybe was not front and center of where I want to be but then I am on vacation for a bunch of others.

if i see chairs being saved i'll wait like 5 mins and if nobody shows i'll move the items to one chair and sit in the chair.then if the people want to start an issue about it then "i'll be their huckleberry" ;)so if there are any chair hogs on the may 8th sailing on the pride...beware as your stuff won't be where u put it if u r not back in 15 mins

We had no problems until the Day at Sea. There were no chairs by the pool by 8:50 am. People put towels, magazines, shirts and bags and then didn't come back till 11 or 12. I got my chair at 8AM on upper deck and I sat in it and watched the show of people hunting for empty chairs.

We just cruised the Conquest March 13 (spring break), and there was NEVER an available chair between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. due to chair hogs. I even saw a plate "saving" one. Apparently, someone ran out of stuff to hog all the front row chairs with, so she had to go and get something else, hence the plate. What's more interesting is the fact that at least 50% of the chairs on the deck were buttless 100% of the time, but there was always "stuff" on them. Even the upper decks were all "saved". Carnival staff never did a thing about it. Very frustrating.

We are not chair hogs. We go to breakfast and then to the pool area. My DH chooses some chairs while I go to change. Then he goes to change when I come back. Never are our chairs just sitting there saved.

But, once, when we both went into the pool together, someone took our towels and threw them against the outside railing area and took our chairs. Crazy. Couldn't have been gone more than 10 min. Just a dip to cool off. Didn't get them back either.

Good time to go to lunch I guess. Anyway, now we don't take a dip in the pool together if it's crowded.

I am a chair hog and proud of it. Why? Because I don't want a bunch of people around me while I am relaxing. So I save 3 chairs along the rail or wall, I lay on the middle chair and have one on each side. Then save three chairs infront of me. That way I never have anyone around or next to me. I do get a kick out of watching people around 11 am wander around with arms full of stuff (maybe with a couple of kids in tow) looking for available chairs. I want to tell them "There are no more chairs available you idiots, stop sleeping so late". Around 1 pm people start thinking about taking my saved chair, but I always stop them by telling them that those people come go, but do use the chairs. It fends them off everytime. By 3:30 pm I pick up all my stuff and free up 6 or more chairs as I head to my cabin to get ready for dinner.

Here is my plan for a 9 chair territory. If I am next to a rail then eliminate the top row of saved chairs.

X X X

X :) X

X X X

I am a chair hog and proud of it. Why? Because I don't want a bunch of people around me while I am relaxing. So I save 3 chairs along the rail or wall, I lay on the middle chair and have one on each side. Then save three chairs infront of me. That way I never have anyone around or next to me. I do get a kick out of watching people around 11 am wander around with arms full of stuff (maybe with a couple of kids in tow) looking for available chairs. I want to tell them "There are no more chairs available you idiots, stop sleeping so late". Around 1 pm people start thinking about taking my saved chair, but I always stop them by telling them that those people come go, but do use the chairs. It fends them off everytime. By 3:30 pm I pick up all my stuff and free up 6 or more chairs as I head to my cabin to get ready for dinner.

Here is my plan for a 9 chair territory. If I am next to a rail then eliminate the top row of saved chairs.

You are funny. :)

You are funny. :)

Don't know if he is being funny or trolling. His other post is about going to guest services and cutting his tips by 80%... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28516633&postcount=7

He also has a thread just deleted on the Carnival board, which he started about cutting the tips 70 - 80% to save money. Smells like a troll.

Curious what makes you special?

The rest of us pay for the cruise just like you.

I'd keep an eye on the chairs for about 15 mins and then toss your stuff in front of you.

What are you going to do?

If the folks come back I'll give up the chairs.

Let's Party!

Last cruise we actually found a couple chairs and sat there for about 3 hours.

All that time, no one showed up in the 4 'towel reserved' chairs in front of us.

I would personally like to thank those people for the 3 nice Carnival towels they left us!

At $22.00 per it was a nice gift from someone we do not even know.

(your sunglasses and book are at lost & found)

We are just off the Miracle (3-11). This was an 8 day with only 3 port stops so lots of sailing days (oh baby!). The chair hogs were out in force everyday for sure. I don't especially like to sit by the pool, too much going on for me to relax and read so I go someplace else. But, one day did enjoy a chair by the pool for a couple of hours to read and swim. But, man that it is a busy place to be. It was funny to see all the different things on chairs with no one on them! I just quietly told them, well, I have my own private balcony to go to, I'll be back when I want a drink or a dip in the pool!

They're really not that much of a problem. There's tons of chairs on deck... easy enough to find an open one... I've never had problems with chair hogs...

:)

That was true for me too on Carnival, I always found a chair in either the sun or the shade depending on my mood. BUT, on RCI last summer it was really hard to find a chair. I don't know if they just have fewer chairs on deck or if that was peculiar to that cruise, but I caught myself wishing they had more every day.

But, once, when we both went into the pool together, someone took our towels and threw them against the outside railing area and took our chairs. Crazy. Couldn't have been gone more than 10 min. Just a dip to cool off. Didn't get them back either.

This is what bothers me. When innocent people (i.e. non chair hog people) want to take a short dip and return to their chairs, but someone has removed their belongings, thinking they are hogs, it just makes me crazy! I personally am not a sun sitter or pool dipper, so this has never happened to me, but it makes me mad that if I or someone else does want to take a dip, we have to be worried about some rude person taking our chair!

While I abhor the thought of rude chair hogs, I am more incensed by rude people who think they have the right to take over a chair due to the "I, as a non-chair hog person, have more rights than you, an assumed/real chair hog person" mentality.

Are there signs posted in these chair areas that say a chair can only be saved for 30 minutes? Many posters mention a chair policy....is that how you find out about it? Or is it just a rumor that "there is chair policy"?

Archived