cruising up the coast weather in May

Gingee

Could be foggy, although that isn't a prime time for fog, at least not on the California coast.

It will be cool, and it could be a bit rough, as that area is known for it.

We did the route there in May 2008. We had 70+ mph winds. Slept thru most of it.

We have done it several times and doing another in May. Weather tends to be cool north of San Francisco, you may encounter some fog or mist, and even some moderate to rough seas. I am not saying that 70 mph winds can't be experienced but they are not the norm.

We did a coastal in May from LA to Vancouver and we had to bypass Catalina Island because if I remember it was going to be too windy to tender. Otherwise we lucked out with sunny and cool weather the rest of the cruise. We happen to be on the same cruise with Putterdude but we never met.

We aren't going to Catalina Island so I guess we don't have to worry about that location. Our first stop out of San Diego is San Fransisco overnight. Where does it get rough or just the whole thing?

Sailed the Oosterdam from San Diego-Vancouver on May 4 last year. Had gale force (60-70mph) and 18-20 foot seas while in the actual Pacific (from abeem LA to entry into Strait of Juan de Fuca). The Captain closed the lower outside(Promenade) deck. All dancing performance in main showroom were cancelled. Some people didn't like it, my wife and I loved it--felt like we were really at sea!

Generally, the further north, the greater chance for rougher seas, but they can happen anywhere.

Also, the straits going into Puget Sound can be rough. We are 2 for 2 on that experience, although one was very rough (on an older ship without stabilizers) and the other was much smoother (but still not calm) on a newer ship with stabilizers.

The area around SF is called the potato patch. It is known for its rough seas. I sailed LA to Vancouver in May 2000. I was so disappointed in that I felt like we were in a hotel and not at sea. The next time was June 05. We did the Regal Princess RT out of SF. Going North once again it was very smooth, but on the return trip it got a bit rough. I loved every minute of it since I finally felt like I was at sea.

We did a coastal in May from LA to Vancouver and we had to bypass Catalina Island because if I remember it was going to be too windy to tender. Otherwise we lucked out with sunny and cool weather the rest of the cruise. We happen to be on the same cruise with Putterdude but we never met.

And I was so so looking forward to meeting you. I am thinking that was the cruise where we could have held our M&G in a very small phone booth...if there are any left.

I think you guys are crazy liking rough seas. LOL

We did have some on our Alaska trip five years ago. Our tablemate's wife did not feel well at all. They have cruised a lot and I guess this one just got to her. I remember the indoor pool turning into a wave pool. My husband thought it was fun.

So, do you see land while cruising north?

So, do you see land while cruising north?

You may see land- assuming it is clear- in a couple of places, but, generally, the closer to shore the rougher it will be, definitely the greater chance of fog.

Also, in a lot of areas, particularly near major port entrances, there are traffic lanes the ships are supposed to stay in.

We sailed out of San Francisco to Alaska a few years ago in July and the wind on the bay was INCREDIBLE. Having lived in the area for several years, we'd been on the bay in boats large and small and never experienced the wind velocity we did that day. Not sure if it was the time of year or just a fluke. I was determined to get photos of the underside of the Golden Gate Bridge, but worried the whole time if the wind would blow me to the deck. Strangely, the weather on land was was one of those rare SF days where the sun was warm and you didn't need a jacket--no wind at all.

We're booked on the May PNW Century sailing this year and are aware it will not be a "sun and fun" type vacation. We enjoy occasional rough seas; it's kind of like a bonus amusement park ride included in your cruise fare.

May and to a lesser degree early June are part of the shoulder season in the North West, we can have some lovely weather but it can be lousy . If you are looking for 80* temps and smooth seas, you are looking at the wrong cruise, we just don't have that weather in May. You are likely going to experience temps in the low to high mid 60's, perhaps some rain, fog or mist, particularly north of San Fransisco.

May and to a lesser degree early June are part of the shoulder season in the North West, we can have some lovely weather but it can be lousy . If you are looking for 80* temps and smooth seas, you are looking at the wrong cruise, we just don't have that weather in May. You are likely going to experience temps in the low to high mid 60's, perhaps some rain, fog or mist, particularly north of San Fransisco.

I concur we can have anything from late winter storms to highs above 100. The year we did our repo cruise my mother held down the fort with my kids. The temp hit 105 on the day that my sons were scheduled to go to the local water park with school. :eek: While that can be normal for August around here, it isn't the norm for May. We have also have snow in Yosemite with pouring rain during Memorial Day weekend. It is a roll of the dice.

I concur we can have anything from late winter storms to highs above 100. The year we did our repo cruise my mother held down the fort with my kids. The temp hit 105 on the day that my sons were scheduled to go to the local water park with school. :eek: While that can be normal for August around here, it isn't the norm for May. We have also have snow in Yosemite with pouring rain during Memorial Day weekend. It is a roll of the dice.

There is significant difference in weather patterns between Fresno and being off shore in a ship! There is serious difference between where we live and being off shore on a ship, and we are described as being on the coastal part of California.

There is significant difference in weather patterns between Fresno and being off shore in a ship! There is serious difference between where we live and being off shore on a ship, and we are described as being on the coastal part of California.

I was using that to describe the pattern for weather for central California region. After living here more than 31 years I totally understand that there is a huge temp difference between the Central Coast and Fresno. I really get that. But what I am talking about is that variance in predicting whether the weather is going to be more winter like vs summer like in May. All I am saying it that it can go either way.

Well we have 81 degrees right now and the high is suppose to be in the fifties tomorrow. Has winds early today of 32 MPH. All I kept thinking was that someone said they had 70 MPH winds on their northbound cruise. Yikes I didn't get blown away though.

Archived