Petite Formal Dresses, Where at?

Ok ladies, I have a question. Where do you find long petite formal dresses? And by petite I don't mean a size 1 (I wish), I mean a size SHORT! I really would like a long evening gown for formal night for our cruise but none of the stores I have checked have them. In fact one store in our local mall told me that they have not been able to get them in over two years! Is everyone getting taller and I didn't get the memo? :eek: But seriously, where do you go to get formal wear for short ladies? And any pictures you have of yours would be greatly appreciated also. I have never done anything formal so I am excited and out of my element at the same time. :o

Thanks, Cindy

Ok ladies, I have a question. Where do you find long petite formal dresses? And by petite I don't mean a size 1 (I wish), I mean a size SHORT! I really would like a long evening gown for formal night for our cruise but none of the stores I have checked have them. In fact one store in our local mall told me that they have not been able to get them in over two years! Is everyone getting taller and I didn't get the memo? :eek: But seriously, where do you go to get formal wear for short ladies? And any pictures you have of yours would be greatly appreciated also. I have never done anything formal so I am excited and out of my element at the same time. :o

Thanks, Cindy

I'm 4'10", so I empathize. It's hard to find real formal wear when you're in a petite size range. Most of my clothes come from the Loft (they carry smaller sizes than any of the department stores, and by that I mean I need a size 2 pant), but they don't carry long formal dresses. I've gotten a couple at Dillards over the years, but I've basically gone to separates (long skirt and dressy top), or lovely cocktail length dresses - Nordstrom's usually has a nice petite selection and you can find them on sale. Dillards has also had some good cocktail length dresses in petites.

Thanks, Cindy

Lord and Taylor and JC Penney

Thanks everyone, I did check Penneys and one Dillards store with no luck. Macy's is the store that told me they can't get petite anymore. I will check the other ones mentioned as well as other locations of Penneys and Dillards. Right now everything out is geared toward prom so maybe after that is over some different ones will come out. Thanks and I will keep checking.

I'm 4'10", so I empathize. It's hard to find real formal wear when you're in a petite size range. Most of my clothes come from the Loft (they carry smaller sizes than any of the department stores, and by that I mean I need a size 2 pant), but they don't carry long formal dresses. I've gotten a couple at Dillards over the years, but I've basically gone to separates (long skirt and dressy top), or lovely cocktail length dresses - Nordstrom's usually has a nice petite selection and you can find them on sale. Dillards has also had some good cocktail length dresses in petites.

Do you have any pictures of ones you have worn in the past? I am also 4'10" but more in the size 5/6 range and would love to get some ideas from your picts! Thanks

I am only 5 foot too. I often have to buy dresses or trousers and have them taken up by a local lady. But then this adds more cost to my dress :(

I'd also love to know where I can get some petite dresses from.

Stacey x

I'm 4'9' , but I never wear floor length gowns. I always wear a cocktail dress or black skirt with a dressy top. Even the coctail dresses need to be hemmed.

If you really want a formal gown you could always have it hemmed by a dressmaker or tailor.

I have purchased at Macy's, JC Penney, and Dillards.

Do you have any pictures of ones you have worn in the past? I am also 4'10" but more in the size 5/6 range and would love to get some ideas from your picts! Thanks

I'll find some to scan and then post them to my flickr site and add a link for you - it'll probably take me several days.

I don't bother to have my cocktail length dresses hemmed, I think with high heels the length looks okay. I'm luck I don't have to buy dresses in size 2's or 0's (just pants and shorts) - department stores, even when they have petites, don't usually carry much below a 6, I've found.

I'm a petite as well. I have a few suggestions. You could try a shop that sells bridal/bridesmaid dresses. They may have something not too "bridesmaidy". Also, in our area, there are consignment shops that sell used, designer dresses and gowns. Once, I bought a royal blue silk "Talbot's" cocktail dress for only $40-it's a favorite of mine. Good luck, and have a great vacation!!

I second Dillards -- the "After Five" section often has the petite long length (or, they have had it every time I needed one in the past).

Stein Mart has good petites, and sometimes the petite evening section has the long length. My only issue with Stein Mart is that you can get either "way young" or "way mature" short people clothes, but not much in the mid-range. I'm more of a "classic contemporary" gal.

I've had limited luck at Ann Taylor, too.

I must admit that in the past few years, if it's an event that I can get away with a cocktail length, I go for that. Also, I find I get more wear out of cocktail dresses anyway. I've got good classic cut black cocktail dresses in both summer and winter fabrics, and I get compliments on both of them: sometimes at certain parties to which I've worn 'em two years in a row! (Don't tell anyone! :eek:)

I am 4'10...sometimes 4'11:p.....I have quite a few evening dresses. I bought from Macy's, Nordtrom's and JC Penney's. I also have a few summer dresses from Coldwater Creek.....sundresses look like maxi dresses on me but still works.:)

BTW: all of them are long on me but they do okay...no one would know the dresses are supposed to shorter. Have had to get some hemmed but I don't anymore.....any length goes these days.

Good luck with your shopping, I really hope you find something that works. I understand the frustration. It's tough being so small.

Don't ask me about shoes.:p

@ ncdeb: great idea on consignment shops, hadn't thought of that. If the dress is cheaper might could afford alterations!

@ midnightferret: have the same problem with everything looking "way young" or "way mature"

@ chefpeg: I am fine with a short or cocktail dress looking longer than it is supposed to be as long as I don't look like I am a child playing dress-up! :))

I will keep on window shopping until I find the right one or two! :))

Happy shopping!

Cindy

I was in the Petite department of my local Dillards today. They have Petite size gowns, two piece formal outfits (long skirts, usually black, and jackets in various colors, even one print, sold separately) and cocktail-length dresses.

My local Macy's seems to have given up on any formal gowns regardless of size but has some cocktail dresses.

Have you checked Nordstroms, Bloomingdales or Saks Fifth Avenue?

Thanks, Cindy

I bought my last gown(petite) at Dress Barn,, it was black, with rhinestones,, very elegant... and not expensive.

HeavySurf: The Dillards I went to did not have any petites but I will check others, as far as Nordstroms, Bloomingdales or Saks Fifth Avenue, there aren't any near me but I could check online. Thanks

luckyintheskywithdiamonds: I have not tried Dress Barn but that is a good idea, I will. Thanks

J Crew has a petite line. They show a few dresses online. They are in the "wedding" dept. but would be fine for a cruise. I just checked and they have a 30% off and free shipping. with the code LOVEIT

Archived