Polignano a Mare from Bari

Karysa

Karysa - thank you for your information

What time did you get into port in order to catch the 12.04?

I have tried trenitalia.com to look up times for my date in May but nothing there yet- do the trains to Polignano run on Sundays?

Edited by Albert Ross

• 2 weeks later...
Karysa - thank you for your information

What time did you get into port in order to catch the 12.04?

I have tried trenitalia.com to look up times for my date in May but nothing there yet- do the trains to Polignano run on Sundays?

We were in Bari on a Tuesday in August from 11am until 8pm. I am not sure about trains on Sundays but I would think that they would be running but probably not as frequently.

• 6 months later...

I just wanted to bring this thread forward, as we have just returned from the Celebrity SILHOUETTE trip that stopped in Bari. We just walked out of the port and found the bus (it's across the street from the kiosk with umbrellas). There is a big yellow (FERMATA) sign that gives all the times. We took the 8:37 bus (one euro each, pay the driver) and arrived at the station (15 minutes) in plenty of time for the 9:27 train. We went early as the the trains to Polignano don't run hourly again until noon.

The station agent spoke English and the tickets were about 9 Euros for both of us. The walking instructions by Krysa were absolutely perfect. We saw the swimmers diving from the rocks and the views were incredible. Right before you get to the bridge to the cove there is an entrance to the little old town, where we found a tourist info office. They were very helpful, gave us a map and suggested a private beach, just a little further on where we could rent chairs and umbrellas. We had an amazing time there and rented a paddle boat (which we swam off) to go into the most gorgeous caves.

We stopped for lunch at the Solarium Caffe just near the bridge where we had that amazing ice cream: whipped cream, ice cream, then more whipped cream topped with a cookie.

We took the 2:40 train back to Bari. Across from the train station where the buses wait, there is a ticket booth for bus tickets. Bus #20/ (don't forget the slash) dropped us off where we took it in the morning.

It was a beautiful day!

Susie...thanks for your report. We're booked on Silhouette for next November and have a stop in Bari. I don't know that we can fill a whole day in Bari so were wondering about going to Polignano di Mare for a couple of hours. I don't think we'll be sitting on the beach in November, so was wondering if you think Polignano would warrant a visit for a few hours of sightseeing knowing we won't be spending time on the beach. Would be interesting to see the grottos. As it stands now there's a train that would get us there around 10 am and then one at noon or 1:30. This would give us time then to see what Bari has to offer.

Lynn

We are traveling as a group of 4 vans on a private excursion from the Silhouette in October. We have a driver but no guide. We are visiting the Trulli Houses in Alborbello first. I have been doing some research on Trip Advisor and folks who have been to Polignano are saying that the town pretty much closes down in the beginning of October, and, although photo ops remain plentiful, many of the nicer restaurants are closed. Views from the cliffs are outstanding but supposedly you must climb down to the water. I specifically asked as I have some mobility issues.

Guess you know it is the home of Domenico Modugno of " Volare" fame, and there is a statue of him in town. For those traveling in October, you should plan your dining accordingly.

• 1 year later...