Booze

paulista1950

Drinks in a refrigerator in your room, many hotels have them. You are charged for anything taken out. The charge is often more than the bar. You may request the contents be removed or changed, usually.

Yes, there are happy hours. When/where should be in the daily program.

HAL has beverage cards that give extra value. Here's a recent post by KK, who is carrying on with helpful posts, despite her injury:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28479977&postcount=6

I seldom get the wine package, as I like to carry on my own wine (which HAL allows). However, picking wine from the package is better than getting the "house pour", IMO

Drinks in a refrigerator in your room, many hotels have them. You are charged for anything taken out. The charge is often more than the bar. You may request the contents be removed or changed, usually.

never seen it being called no-host. Thanks for the clarification

Yes, there are happy hours. When/where should be in the daily program.

HAL has beverage cards that give extra value. Here's a recent post by KK, who is carrying on with helpful posts, despite her injury:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28479977&postcount=6

I seldom get the wine package, as I like to carry on my own wine (which HAL allows). However, picking wine from the package is better than getting the "house pour", IMO

I suppose the Beverage card works the same way as the soda card, right?

But if so, why the two types ????:confused:

Since you can carry on as much wine as you'd like I just bring my own. Sure it's another thing to schelp to the pier but very much worthwhile in the long run. If you don't have the time to stop at the wine store in your embarkation port I'd say go for the package.

Going on a trip with Carnival soon and they very seriously only allow 1 bottle of wine per person so I will be getting the wine package.

we have found the no-host bar to be useless for us -- if 2 of you like the same thing -- it isn't there and they won't bring you an extra one

we have found that it is just better to buy a bottle for the cabin so that we can have a cocktail out on the verandah whenever we want one

That confused me at first too. "No Host" means that there is no host giving you a party, you are paying for anything you use. :)

That, and you "pour it yourself".

KrazyKruisers: I agree, but sometimes there are 2 of an item. We arrived at our hotel in Hong Kong one time after 11:30PM New Years Eve, and thought we would have a drink. The hostess said the bar was $50.00 for the party which was almost over. :eek: We went back to the room and had 2 Scotch & waters for less. Opening the window gave us plenty of noise, even though it was not Chinese New Years. That is REALLY celebrated in China! :D:cool:

hal's no host mini bar has only 2 beef eater gins for the alcohol selection -- everything else is just 1 bottle

The "No Host" mini bar consists of:

These are all airline size bottles 1.75 ounces

2 Beefeater Gins - $4.95

1 Johnny Walker Red Lable - $4.95

1 Bicardi Rum - $4.95

1 VSOP Courvoisier - $4.95

1 Smirnoff Vodka - $4.95

1 Vendange Chardonnay - 187 ml - $9

1 Vendange Cabernet - 187 ml - $9

1 split Henkell Champagne - $8.50

1 Red Bull - $3.50

1 Bloody Mix - $2.50