First time cruiser questions

momtogkc

Hi,

I am going on my first cruise on the Crown at the end of the month. I have been reading these boards and have gotten tons of helpful information so far. I still have three questions (and will probably have lots more).

1. We are going on the trip through work. They booked us an inside cabin and we would like to upgrade to a balcony. I have seen people saying they wait until the price comes down and then upgrade. How does that work? Do I just keep checking the Princess website to see if the price goes down? It is a pretty big price difference right now, $600 for the two of us, but we are really hoping to upgrade.

2. This is also our first time leaving our kids even for 1 night - and now we are doing it for 7 days!! How can we contact them during the week? I know there is an expensive ship emergency phone, but is there any way to call them once in a while? Maybe while we are in port? I know there is a way to get on a computer on the ship so we can e-mail, but I'd much rather call & text if I could. We have IPhones on AT&T if that makes a difference.

3. I have read a bunch of different ways to get alcohol on board - which way actually works? We aren't big wine drinkers, would rather bring rum & beer. I'm guessing there is no way to get the beer on, though! I read someone saying to get a case of soda and exchange it for beer and re-tape it up, but I have a feeling that would be too obvious. :)

Thank you so much for any help! I started out not wanting to go on this trip at all, but you guys have started to get me excited!

1. Princess usually does NOT discount cabins at the last moment.

2. There are three ways to call home. First, phone in cabin for about $9 per minute. Second, your cell phone on the ship for $2.49 per minute. Third, is using your cell phone in ports, price depends on your plan.

3. Officially, you cannot carry rum or beer on the ship. Getting rum on is pretty easy. Just pack it in either checked or carry on. Princess rarely objects. Beer is more difficult just because of the volum einvolved.

Thank you. So I guess we should upgrade as soon as we can so we can pick a good room, right? I'll check with AT&T to see about the prices from the different ports. I don't need to talk to the kids constantly, but wold love to say hi every other day or so. And I know you're not supposed to bring rum on board, but since I read so many creative options on here (In empty mouth wash bottles, wrapped as presents...) I thought we might as well pack one bottle. Of course it's my husband who likes the rum and i like the beer, so it looks like I'll be out of luck! ;)

We sailed on the Emerald in Feb. and I checked a duffle bag containing 24 Beer and 12 Pepsi, with no problem. Also had a couple bottles of Rum in checked baggage with no issues either. Can't say that this would happen every time.

I also picked up a 6 Pack of local beer on each island and had no problem bringing it back onboard.

Have a great trip.

They have both rum and beer on the ship so you shouldn't have any problems ordering some. Prices are pretty reasonable.

With your iPhone and AT&T, get the World Traveler for $5.95/month which gives you reduced per-minute rates when calling in port. You can cancel it when you get home and it'll be pro-rated. Texts are free incoming, $.50/text outgoing. Make sure you turn off "Fetch new data" under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calender as soon as the ship sails from the US and don't turn it back on until you disembark. Otherwise, your phone will automatically download updated app data at international data rates. Your US plan goes out the window when you leave the US. For good measure, put it in airplane mode when at sea. People get a nasty surprise when they get home to find their apps downloaded data and their bill is substantial.

Keep in mind that after final payment, you have to pay penalty to upgrade your cabin because Princess consider it as a cancellation and rebook. The latest time to upgrade is before your final payment, but by then you probably won't get much choice of a cabin.

Keep in mind that after final payment, you have to pay penalty to upgrade your cabin because Princess consider it as a cancellation and rebook. The latest time to upgrade is before your final payment, but by then you probably won't get much choice of a cabin.

This is not accurate. You can pay for an upgrade at anytime before sailing as long as there is space.

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to have to print out the phone instructions - I never know how to use my phone! I might try to bring some beer on. It's no huge deal if I can't, but it would be nice to have a few in the cabin.

Our friend at work who booked the cruise has all of the reservation information so I have to wait for her to send it to me before I can try to upgrade. I might have to wait for the last minute though because we are applying for a mortgage this week and I want to keep every last cent in my account for now. :)

Our friend at work who booked the cruise has all of the reservation information so I have to wait for her to send it to me before I can try to upgrade. I might have to wait for the last minute though because we are applying for a mortgage this week and I want to keep every last cent in my account for now. :)

By the last minute, chances are the ship will have been sold out. If you really want to upgrade, you need to so it ASAP.

Archived