Bringing my fathers ashes onboard

kgerkin

I've done some searching and have found some post regarding bring ashes onboard the ship. I spoke with my pvp and she sent me an email with what we should have for the ashes (Box marked with a certificate from the funeral home saying that the contents are really the contents, etc) and she told me to go to the Pursers desk as soon as we get onboard and that they would arrange this.

The one thing she didnt know is where we drop the ashes from on the ship when its time. I've seen a few posts here with questions but was wondering if anyone here has ever done this through Carnival. Im just curious.

My dad spent his whole life as a boat captain (not cruise ship size but pleasure yacht size) and many many years chartering boats between Florida and the Bahamas. His wishes were that his ashes be spead at sea so my daughter, step mother and I leave on April 7th for a 3 day to the Bahamas on the Sensation to honor his wishes.

Thanks for any info.

Karen

It's generally done from the aft of the ship, one of the public decks.

Quite often the Captain will be present for the ceremony and will present the family with a certificate indicating the exact location of the scattering...

My condolences on your loss...

Karen, sorry for your loss. My brother also spent his life on the water sailing back and forth to the islands and up and down the east coast. When he passed we planned to do the same and Host Mach actually told me what I needed to do. Hopefully he will respond here and lead you on the right path.

I think Host Mach might be able to help you with this. If you scroll down to the bottom here where it lists the moderators and click on his name you should be able to send him an email.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I see I was too late!

I remember reading somewhere (may have been here... not sure), about a family that did this. Seems like they were taken to the aft of the ship, down around sea level (deck 0, maybe?). I know that you have to be out in international waters (12 miles?), and can't throw anything non-biodegradable over (ashes and flowers allowed).

What a wonderful way to remember your dad.

Karen, sorry for your loss. My brother also spent his life on the water sailing back and forth to the islands and up and down the east coast. When he passed we planned to do the same and Host Mach actually told me what I needed to do. Hopefully he will respond here and lead you on the right path.

I'll be happy to assist, of course.

OP, could you please send me an email? My addess is in my signature block.

Sorry for your loss.

If you contact US Coast Guard Sector Miami at 305 - 535 - 4300 they can give you the information you need. Just let them know which ship you are cruicing on, from what port, and the destination(s). They will inform you of the suggested/appropriate area(s) to do this.

There are some restrictions as to where this can be done. In the decandent affairs manuals ther are guideline for "Burials At Sea" be it casket, urn with ashes, or spreading of ashes. Hope this helps.

Again, Sorry for your loss.

I just did this on the triumph 2/11/11 off the coast of New Orleans. We were taken by crew members to the back of deck # 1 in the crew members only area and the ashes were spread out the aft of the ship through a slot in the ship. Just contact guest services and they will make all the plans - So Sorry for your loss!!

P.S. They also made sure the wind was blowing away from the ship (that was a concern of mine)

I just did this on the triumph 2/11/11 off the coast of New Orleans. We were taken by crew members to the back of deck # 1 in the crew members only area and the ashes were spread out the aft of the ship through a slot in the ship. Just contact guest services and they will make all the plans - So Sorry for your loss!!

P.S. They also made sure the wind was blowing away from the ship (that was a concern of mine)

Yes that's what we did aboard the Liberty in Feb., 2009

Here the video we took I do not know how to cut it short it's kind of a long walk though.

Hi Karen, My sister and I put my dad to rest at sea, he was a navy man.

We contacted guest services and they put us in touch with the contact on Glory. We simply carried his ashes in the oak box we had chosen for him, the funeral home and info was taped to the bottom of the box.

Once onboard they told us the day and time we would be able to scatter the ashes. They had a rep from Security, Guest Services and Biological Materials (or something like that).

They took us to deck 1 or 0 I can't remember which, we sprinkled the ashes out a anchor hole, it was close to the sea and very smallish so there was no blowback of ashes. They also allowed us to drop in a rose and a shot of rum, since my dad had a liking for rum.

There was no certificate of where the ashes went, but I know it was somewhere near Cuba, so I envision my dad on a beach in cuba watching the girls and drinking a rum and coke!!!

We did this in like 2008, there was no charge, but no ceremony either, we said our own words and had a few friends with us.

It was very nice and we appreciated Carnival allowing us to do this on the ship.

But don't expect the details until you board, because they really don't know, I would make sure you get a confirmation from Guest Services that this will be arranged and then talk to them as soon as you board.

Good luck and God Bless, Carole

Just be sure you do not try and do this on your own. Most of you have heard my story from 2 years ago whe we ended up with someones dear departed all over our balcony, and he/she was sucked up by a shop vac.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

I told my DW, if I go before her, to just put my ashes in a coffee can and take me to one of our favorite beaches (Nachi Cocum, HMC, etc.) and find a nice quite spot away from everybody and sprinkle me there.

Don't need a ceremony or certificate of where I was sprinkled.

Bill

I plan on doing this when I sail on April 11th. I already purchased a biodegradable urn. I spoke with Carnival about it, and they said I just have to go to guest services, BUT they never mentioned bringing on the funeral home info. My Dad died in 2008, so I am sure it wouldn't be hard for the funeral home to find his file and write a letter for me.

Thank you for this post- if it wasn't for it I wouldn't know about bringing on the funeral home info, and they might have possibly rejected me- I would have been devestated!

I plan on doing this when I sail on April 11th. I already purchased a biodegradable urn. I spoke with Carnival about it, and they said I just have to go to guest services, BUT they never mentioned bringing on the funeral home info. My Dad died in 2008, so I am sure it wouldn't be hard for the funeral home to find his file and write a letter for me.

Thank you for this post- if it wasn't for it I wouldn't know about bringing on the funeral home info, and they might have possibly rejected me- I would have been devestated!

I had mine with me, but they never asked to look at it.

Back in 2008 my family did this with my grandma's ashes. All of her kids and grandkid we had already had a cruise booked. She passed two months before we cruised. This was one of a few places she wanted us to put her ashes. One of the captains took us to the bottom of the ship and there was a ledge that hung of the ship over the water. All of her kids stood there and drop her ashes in the water. And they had a lady playing Amazing Grace at the same time. It was so Amazing and probably the most emotional place we put her ashes.

Archived