HAL Liquor Policy

kmw

We have always brought liquor on board on 13 cruises in checked baggage and never had a problem. With the new hoopla, has anyone had a problem "sneaking" booze on board an HAL ship...namely the Ryndam???

Thanks,

KMW

Obviously you know the policy is only wine and champagne permitted to be brought aboard.

Sneaking? You really want to worry about the bottle breaking and wrecking all your clothes?

Why not simply call Ship Services, order what you want and it will be waiting in your cabin.

Is it worth the embarrassment of possibly being 'caught' because your bottle broke and your suitcase smelled like a brewery.

If you don't want to pre-order from Ship's Services, you can buy a bottle from Room Service when you are aboard.

To answer your question: We have never snuck a bottle aboard so we have never been caught.

I do not believe that anyone asked in this thread whether you SHOULD bring liquour in your luggage, just whether it is possible to do so without being stopped by HAL.

Don't think you should bring your own booze? Fine, then don't do so.

However, unless you are asked the question of whether you think it is OK to do so, why don't you just MYOB.

I personally consider it much more offensive to push your personal moral standards onto others than it is to bring liquour on board in contradiction to "the rules".

As for myself, yes, I will continue to disregard "rules" when I see no harm to doing so. That had worked fine for me during the last six decades, and I am unaware of any harm I have caused to others by that policy. Thus, I will continue to bring my liquor in my luggage, as I have on HAL and seven other cruise lines, without ever having had a problem.

Have a problem with that? Well, that is your problem, not mine. Don't let your knickers get into too much of a knot over it. I assure you it won't bother me.

I've found that using a fondness for a particular brand as an excuse scores you no points on this board. And my god have mercy on your soul.

From here on out, I've adopted the Bill Clinton approach...Dont ask, dont tell.

Tim

As for myself, yes, I will continue to disregard "rules" when I see no harm to doing so. That had worked fine for me during the last six decades, and I am unaware of any harm I have caused to others by that policy. Thus, I will continue to bring my liquor in my luggage, as I have on HAL and seven other cruise lines, without ever having had a problem.

Gosh you so clever

"They don't sell Maui Wowee on board, either - should I bring my own?"

As long as you don't stink up the place, that's your business, not mine. I, however, apply a cost-benefits analysis that regards potential incarceration as an unacceptable cost. Thus, since you did ask, I would not personally recommend it.

It is kind of hard to understand how a cruise line can go from a policy of allowing you to bring liquor on-board, allowing you to buy a bottle or more from the on-board liquor store to prohibiting it. Sure you can call ships services and have it waiting for you in your room but why did they raise the prices ridiculously from the amount that they charge in the ship's store? They have even recently raised the prices again.

I hate to think of using Bill Clinton as a role model but will have to say the "don't ask" "don't tell" is appropriate in this situation.

Unless you are prepared for some judgmental replies don't ask questions from this board on liquor policy.

They don't sell Maui Wowee on board, either - should I bring my own?

Kind of a bad example, isn't it? Last time I checked, Vodka was legal. I mean, maybe "they don't sell guitars (computers, lamp shades, etc.) on board, should I bring my own".

Then again, you follow all the rules all the time, so you have the right to tell others what they should do, how to act, how to live. We learned that from the thread you referenced above.

And why is it, unless I've missed it, are there are so many upset about bringing booze, but soft drinks are OK? I mean, they sell soft drinks on board, so if you bring your own, HAL is losing out. Do some have another issue here in relation to alcohol period?

Frankly, I have to aplogize, and I mean that. I came here with the intent of adding something, but I've allowed myself to get into this silly debate. And it is SILLY! Actually, my "problem", and the reason I got sucked in, is with people that think they have a right to pass judgement or instruct others how to act in regards to something as silly as this.

I'll do everyone a favor, myself included, and be sure to stay away from subjects like this one. I'll look forward to seeing all of you in more meaningful threads. Which would be ANY thread that doesn't discuss this subject.

The beaten horse is dead.

Unbelievable. I honestly am beginning to believe that several posters simply enjoy being beligerant. I never thought I'd live to see the day when people blatantly insist that wrong is right.

How is it that suddenly there are at least 4 threads about "sneaking" and "smuggling" (their words, not mine) liquor on board? Does anyone honestly think they're going to get a different answer than the thread before?

Be wrong and immoral, if you like ... certainly if you already are it's not possible for someone here to convince you to be otherwise.

They don't sell Maui Wowee on board, either - should I bring my own?
Terrible analogy, but a cheap debating trick. Next you'll be comparing bringing your own booze to being an axe murderer, pervert, and who knows what else.

HA's policy on illegal drugs is that if you are caught with them on board, they remove you from the ship at next port.

Their policy on bringing booze on board is they tag it, and return it to you the last day of the cruise.

It's obvious HA can tell the difference in the two situations, even if you can't, Dave

"Be wrong and immoral, if you like ... certainly if you already are it's not possible for someone here to convince you to be otherwise." says Heather in Florida

OR we could all give up smuggling and simply settle for being smug *S*

I never thought I'd live to see the day when people blatantly insist that wrong is right.

Heather, I never suggested bringing a bottle of booze onboard was right. Its wrong, and I know its wrong. Its just a degree of wrong that I'm comfortable with. We all, knowingly, engage in things that are wrong. By some rules, eating more than one lobster dinner is wrong. Its called gluttony. But, how many of us do it? We're all comfortable with the degree of wrongness. Even if it is one of the seven deadly sins. :D

Tim

"Be wrong and immoral, if you like ... certainly if you already are it's not possible for someone here to convince you to be otherwise." says Heather in Florida

OR we could all give up smuggling and simply settle for being smug *S*

Yup ... we could do that, too!!!:D

Tim, point taken ... but quite honestly I wasn't addressing my comment to you. After being reprimanded once I try not to address anyone directly ... I honestly thought it would be clear who I meant.

It certainly wasn't michmike who hadn't even posted on this thread until now, but just felt like throwing in a comment. S'okay by me:rolleyes: .

HA's policy on illegal drugs is that if you are caught with them on board, they remove you from the ship at next port.

But, you see, where I live medical marijuana is quite legal. And no one has been arrested for using grass in Holland (where the ship I'm going on is flagged) for 20 years. It's sold openly in coffee shops. So it does appear to be a legitimate question.

HAL prohibits illegal drugs, but doesn't further define what it means by "illegal." It does, though, specify "alcoholic beverages except wine and champagne" are taboo.

But, you see, where I live medical marijuana is quite legal. And no one has been arrested for using grass in Holland (where the ship I'm going on is flagged) for 20 years. It's sold openly in coffee shops. So it does appear to be a legitimate question.

HAL prohibits illegal drugs, but doesn't further define what it means by "illegal." It does, though, specify "alcoholic beverages except wine and champagne" are taboo.

Actually, it doesn't say that. Their websites says "Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage."

Specifically, they prohibit consuming it on the ship. They allow bringing it on board.

Archived