Gibraltar - 1.5 Days

russ331

I'm on Ventura 29th April. 14 nights. On 10th May we're in Gibraltar for an 'Afternoon & Full Day'

Is it worth crossing the border into Spain? If so, what would you recommend to see/do there?

Are the attractions of Gibraltar sufficient to spend the whole stay there, & skip an excursion across the border? Your experience is appreciated.

I'm on Ventura 29th April. 14 nights. On 10th May we're in Gibraltar for an 'Afternoon & Full Day'

Is it worth crossing the border into Spain? If so, what would you recommend to see/do there?

Are the attractions of Gibraltar sufficient to spend the whole stay there, & skip an excursion across the border? Your experience is appreciated.

We are the same cruise. Ventura is only in Gibraltar for an afternoon, not an afternoon and full day. If you have not been before I would recommend the main tour. You see a lot in a couple of hours including the apes and to honest unless you like shopping in UK brand shops there isn't a lot more to do. The ships excursion for this is only a few pounds more than the same tour offered by the taxis on the dockside.

For info there is heaps to see in Gib.. many people miss the tours into the rock which are amazing.. the WW2 tunnels or the siege tunnels .. there is alot of history on such a small rock.. to many people only walk along the shops then say there is nothing to see there... so very wrong i.. if you do a tour they drop you back at the shops so you can still get your duty free..

Depends on what you want to buy. My sister found the cheapest cigarettes in Gibraltar when she spotted the people queuing to buy them from a window on the high street. Her and Mum also found the perfumes to be very good value and the perfume shops will price match/beat each other. I looked at electronics and thought there were better deals online at home. Also, wouldnt like to buy electronics in case of warranty issues.

That must have been a relief to discover. A day and a half is a long time to spend on a ship tied up at the quay.

WD

I would of been happy if it were somewhere like Barcelona with everything close to the port, and walking distance to enjoy the city at night, but not gibraltar lol

Be careful if you go off independently in Gibraltar that you allow enough time to get back to the port. My mum and dad nearly missed the ship because they were cutting it fine and none of the taxi drivers they approached were interested in just a return to the ship, they would only agree to a sightseeing tour.

Dad said in hindsight they should just have got in the first taxi and paid whatever they asked to take them back to the ship. As it was they ended up running through the streets and their names had been called out over the tannoy...

Carol x

We had very low expectations of our visit to Gib but it ended up being our favourite port.We had been planning to do the cable car but they were closed so we took a shuttle taxi into town and another tour taxi from the main square. We and another couple negoiated a price to go up the rock and see the apes.

It was an excellent tour. The Rock is impressive and our children still talk about seeing the apes. The taxi driver took us to where the apes feeding station so they were not interseted in grabbing things from us. He also gave us a wonderful commentary on the Rock and its history-brilliant.

There was a long queue for taxis back to the ship so we ended up walking. This took us about15mins but was not very scenic.

l

We had very low expectations of our visit to Gib but it ended up being our favourite port.We had been planning to do the cable car but they were closed so we took a shuttle taxi into town and another tour taxi from the main square. We and another couple negoiated a price to go up the rock and see the apes.

It was an excellent tour. The Rock is impressive and our children still talk about seeing the apes. The taxi driver took us to where the apes feeding station so they were not interseted in grabbing things from us. He also gave us a wonderful commentary on the Rock and its history-brilliant.

There was a long queue for taxis back to the ship so we ended up walking. This took us about15mins but was not very scenic.

l

we were in GB last week. It rained!!

I bought a super leather jacket at a very reasonable price. Never pay the asking price, I got mine for less than half price. Also my husband bought binoculars and was very pleased with the price compared with here in UK.

Not picturesque, but fine for a half day call.

We are unsure of what to do yet, we were going to walk to the rock ourselves and go on the cable car etc, but we have been told its 45min walk each way and I am not sure how long we actually have, afternoon to me means 5 hours max?

On our first visit we were going to do it independently. The walk through town to the cable car is a fair stretch and when we got there it was closed due to winds. We found a taxi and did a 2 hour tour for £20 each. This included the apes, tunnels etc and was good value for money. Apparently it costs £11 just to enter the park area where the apes are so if this is true £20 was good value. There are loads of taxis waiting to do the tour on the key. I would recommend getting one of those to cut out the walk into town, do the tour then ask to be dropped in town to look and the shops and enjoy a leisurely walk back.

Stops a lot of rushing and worry for just a few pounds more than the cable car itself.

The ships 1/2 day tour is excellent and takes the hassle out of walking, queueing etc.

We did it, a minibus meets you from the ship with a excellent tour guide, ours was a ex UK policeman, we were taken to cablecar, went up to the Rock, walked along to St Michaels caves, which was interesting , the mini bus met us and took us on to ww2 war tunnels, saw the apes, lots happening, good views, excellent. The minibus then took us either back to the ship, or option of dropped in the town to see a few duty free shops and walk back to ship.

Be careful if you go off independently in Gibraltar that you allow enough time to get back to the port. My mum and dad nearly missed the ship because they were cutting it fine and none of the taxi drivers they approached were interested in just a return to the ship, they would only agree to a sightseeing tour.

Dad said in hindsight they should just have got in the first taxi and paid whatever they asked to take them back to the ship. As it was they ended up running through the streets and their names had been called out over the tannoy...

Carol x

We were in Gibraltar last week, and two people were left behind, although we couldn't be sure that it was a taxi problem. They were 18 minutes late and the ship was letting go the lines, so the Captain said they were committed and had to leave. Their passports were taken to them by the pilot, and the agents would have given them assistance in getting a hotel and flights home.

We were in Gibraltar last week, and two people were left behind, although we couldn't be sure that it was a taxi problem. They were 18 minutes late and the ship was letting go the lines, so the Captain said they were committed and had to leave. Their passports were taken to them by the pilot, and the agents would have given them assistance in getting a hotel and flights home.

What a nightmare. Abandoned in Gibraltar.

WD

• 3 weeks later...

we are going to arrive in Gib at 12.30 on our last port of call , on Aurora in August, I would like to see the Rock and the Apes and a quick bit of shopping, but dont know if its a better bet to do an organised trip or a DIY trip. Dont want to risk being stranded! Is it a long walk to get a taxi at the Port?

Archived