New to Windstar, just booked Windsurf, any tip?

Supertec

Hi mates!!

I have just booked a 7 days cruise onboard Windsurf from Lisbon to Barcelona, my home city.

I have cruised many times before but always in no less than 3 times bigger ships than the Windsurf. What should I expect from Windstar, is it a real "luxury" cruise?? I understand that with just 300 people onboard the ambience will be quiet and relaxed, this shouln't be a problem for me even being young and active (27 years old)

Any recommendation about what to do onboard?? I love to meet & mingle with cruise mates and it will be great to enhance my english but to have a bit of fun will also be nice.

About the meals, I read this is one of the strong points for this company, any recommendation from the menus???

Do they offer free lemonade?? I love Royal Caribbean lemonade and would be great to have it onboard the Windsurf.

I read that the ship features a Sauna, is it free or must be paid as a Spa service???

Thank you for your help and responses, any other additional information will be very welcomed!

See you!!

I am not sure what your definition of "luxury" is, so that's hard to answer. Windstar is certainly "luxury" compared to other mass market lines. I don't know about the sauna, I've never used it, but if it's located in the spa, imagine it's not free. Maybe someone will come along who can answer that question.

You do not pay for lemonade or iced tea. There is often a large container on the bar on the aft deck with water/lemons and ice.

There usually aren't many organized activities onboard. Each evening, in the lounge, there will be a cocktail hour with hor d'oeuvres, and a talk about the next day's port. You will easily meet other people during this time, and also at dinner.

You can mingle at the pool areas and on deck. Since this is a Med cruise, most people will be off the ship, exploring the port during the day. The last Med cruise we did on Windstar was last minute, and we did no planning for what we would do in port. But, we met lots of people with whom we shared rental cars, etc. There were some singles on that cruise, and they seemed to have no problem making friends. Go to the Windstar Roll Call threads, and join the one for your sailing, or start one, if no one has yet.

Have a great trip.

Thank you for your comments 6 rugrats, I look forward to spend great days onboard Windsurf even with the worries that cause the recent selling of Windstar.

Any other tip will be very appreciated!

Cheers!

Supertec...we've taken 6 windstar cruises - 3 on the windsurf. first, it is very different from large ships. I believe it is a luxury cruise, but without the "stuffiness" of other luxury cruises. No tuxedos required - always casual dress. Spa services are extra, so if there is a sauna, it won't be free. There is a new sandwich bar where you can get drinks like lemonade and iced tea, etc. I think it is relaxing, wonderful way to cruise.

We were on the Windsurf in early January for a Caribbean cruise r/t Barbados. First time on Windstar line. We like small ships like Oceania, Azamara, Regent, Crystal. But 300 pax is much smaller than these. Using Oceania as a comparison point, I wouldn't call it luxury. Nice, but not luxury -- food & service are better on Oceania & Azamara. Windsurf did have 2 entertainment options at night (more than we expected!): a band + singer in the main lounge plus a piano player + singer in one of the aft bars. Standard cabins are quite decent, with a relatively good-sized bathroom. No balcony, of course (we missed a balcony!). Very casual atmosphere (don't bother with a sport jacket) -- polo shirt & Dockers for evening attire is typical. With a small ship, the mixing of the guests in inevitable and was enjoyable; we found there was a decent amount of space on board.

Don't take this as too negative -- we liked our cruise, but didn't love it. We'd sail on Windsurf again, for the right itinerary and right price.

Archived