Just returned from the Dream

MLinFL

Hi -

I just returned from the Dream on Thursday, 3/31. The ship is beautiful -- and very big! We got our exercise just walking from one end to the other. I was in an "inside" cabin (which was actually all the way aft on the outside, but without a veranda or window). It had one of those "virtual" portholes and it was very helpful to be able to see out in the morning to see daylight and what the weather was. This was cabin 7191. My daughter had aft balcony cabin 7690. It was lovely and quite spacious, with a very large balcony.

My daughter and her family (husband and children 10 and 12) had a great time. I had fun watching the kids have fun. The food was good and our service was excellent. Personally, I found the entire ship too noisy. The movies and the live shows were WAY too loud. Actually hurt my ears at times. Wonder why that's necesary?

My daughter's family did the sea lion encounter in Nassau and the kids did the sting ray encounter at Castaway Cay. They loved both. We also all enjoyed the glass bottom boat tour at Castaway Cay. Wait times for the AquaDuck were 30-45 minutes, but they didn't seem to mind the wait. They loved the ride.

Oh - I must admit that the fireworks show at the Pirate Party was "totally awesome"!!! I have been on over 30 cruises and NEVER before had a fireworks show onboard. Leave it to Disney! Great fun.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Mary Lou

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are making my parents tag along on our Dream cruise so its nice to see other families do this as well.

My husband and I did the SeaLion encountor at Nassau last year and it was AMAZING such interactive, fun animals. I KNOW this is something I want my 10yr old daughter to experience. Was the water still insanely COLD at this encounter did they say? We were there in April 2010 and our sealion was actually pregnant, I wonder if the baby is there now!?

Disney definatly knows their way around fireworks!!! Love that they incorporate that into their ships!

Thanks Mary Lou for the report.

So do you agree the ship and the entire cruise is more a kids/family cruise? If you were just sailing with your husband, will you repeat it again - same ship, same itinerary?

Let me first say that obviously, I love to cruise. I also am a big Disney fan, being an annual passholder and a DVC member. With that said, I personally would not sail a Disney ship for an adult cruise. Other cruise lines are geared for adults with childrens activities included. The Disney ships are geared for children, with almost all of the activites for children. It was very difficult for me to find a quiet place to read. Since I didn't have a balcony I went on deck to a nice lounger, only to be chased away by the noise and commotion of a crew safety drill. When I went out there again later, they were painting. I did finally find a wonderful outside veranda between Palo and Remy - outside Meridian.

This cruise was more like Disneyworld on water. So, for me, I'll visit the parks and stay at the DVC resort when I want a "Mickey" fix. When I want to cruise, I'll choose another cruise line.

Mary Lou

P. S. My husband did not come along with us. He didn't think he would enjoy it. We were on the Magic when it first came out so he had something to base his decision on. I shared my stateroom with my 12-year old granddaughter and that was a fun experience.

Where did you do the sea loin encounter at? What did you do after the sea lion encounter?

Just wondering if you went to Atlantis.

My son wants to play at the water park in Atlantis but he also wants to do a dolphin swim. The problem is the only dolphin swim with life jackets is at the blue lagoon. The dolphin swim at Atlantis you have to be able to swim really well.

We were hoping to do both at Atlantis.

So do you agree the ship and the entire cruise is more a kids/family cruise?

Viva, I recommend you do more research into this! I've made lifelong friends via another board with two couples who each have sailed "adults only" more than 5x with DCL - obviously they love it and find lots to do. I have sailed Disney 5x also - a few times with those friends, but my kids have always been along. (Now that they are all teens, I'm getting to enjoy more of the adult features).

I enjoyed your report, MaryLou - so glad you had a great cruise! I can't wait to sail the Dream later this summer!

Where did you do the sea loin encounter at? What did you do after the sea lion encounter?

Just wondering if you went to Atlantis.

My son wants to play at the water park in Atlantis but he also wants to do a dolphin swim. The problem is the only dolphin swim with life jackets is at the blue lagoon. The dolphin swim at Atlantis you have to be able to swim really well.

We were hoping to do both at Atlantis.

Actually, they booked this excursion through Disney. It was held at Blue Lagoon. Yes - they said the water was quite cold - in the photo, they are wearing wet suits. I have attached a photo. Can you see the cute sea lion behind my grandson - he is sticking out his tongue (the sea lion not my grandson ;)).

485913381_TommyatSeaLionEncounter009.jpg.da2046868c7cc7f2fbf7ae4574953818.jpg

Viva, I recommend you do more research into this! I've made lifelong friends via another board with two couples who each have sailed "adults only" more than 5x with DCL - obviously they love it and find lots to do. I have sailed Disney 5x also - a few times with those friends, but my kids have always been along. (Now that they are all teens, I'm getting to enjoy more of the adult features).

I enjoyed your report, MaryLou - so glad you had a great cruise! I can't wait to sail the Dream later this summer!

Hi AhoyThereMatey,

Welcome to the board, and thanks for your recommendation to me to do more research into this. I was simply asking the OP a question based on her recent experience. I know a few on this board who have had many sailing on DCL and they don't have kid (CFBC) and they have enjoyed all of the DCL cruises. I have also cruised twice (of my only 3 cruise :p) on DCL and my family and I enjoyed all of them. In my recent cruise on the Dream, I saw many adults (without kids around them) who are Gold or Platinum Castaway Club member. So apparently, they enjoyed DCL cruise. So, yes, I think I have done my research. There is a perception DCL is catered to family and kids, and they are very successful in doing that IMO!

Many adults without children prefer DCL over others, and many adults without children also prefer others over DCL. I am in no way suggesting what's right or what's wrong, because that's irrelevant as there is no such thing as right/wrong choice when talking about cruising vacation imo. Please read Mary Lou's response to my question to get a sense of what the OP's thought is.

I am one of those Platinum cruisers who doesn't have any kids and we always sail with other couples.

We have found there is more for us to do on a Disney cruise than other cruises we have been on. We go to relax, have fun, be entertained and laugh. We have found other cruise lines harder to find a place to sit and relax than on a Disney cruise. And rather stoic and boring compared to the Disney experience.

Lots of kids, you bet! But we do the adult things in the adults areas. And here's a secret.... Because there are more kids, it leaves better places and things to do for the people without kids.

My cruise on the Dream is getting very near, and I can't wait.

Ms.Mary Lou

Thank you for a wonderful recap of your adventure. My kids, grand kids, wife and myself will be sailing out Thursday on our first cruise every. Everyone is truly excited. Did you by any chance, see anything that you would recommend in Nassau that a rambunchous 2 yr.old grandson would like doing?

Hi -

I just returned from the Dream on Thursday, 3/31. The ship is beautiful -- and very big! We got our exercise just walking from one end to the other. I was in an "inside" cabin (which was actually all the way aft on the outside, but without a veranda or window). It had one of those "virtual" portholes and it was very helpful to be able to see out in the morning to see daylight and what the weather was. This was cabin 7191. My daughter had aft balcony cabin 7690. It was lovely and quite spacious, with a very large balcony.

My daughter and her family (husband and children 10 and 12) had a great time. I had fun watching the kids have fun. The food was good and our service was excellent. Personally, I found the entire ship too noisy. The movies and the live shows were WAY too loud. Actually hurt my ears at times. Wonder why that's necesary?

My daughter's family did the sea lion encounter in Nassau and the kids did the sting ray encounter at Castaway Cay. They loved both. We also all enjoyed the glass bottom boat tour at Castaway Cay. Wait times for the AquaDuck were 30-45 minutes, but they didn't seem to mind the wait. They loved the ride.

Oh - I must admit that the fireworks show at the Pirate Party was "totally awesome"!!! I have been on over 30 cruises and NEVER before had a fireworks show onboard. Leave it to Disney! Great fun.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Mary Lou

Thanks MLinFL for your review. About the inside cabin, do you think it is big enough for 4ppl and what was your opinion on the bathroom?

Thanks MLinFL for your review. About the inside cabin, do you think it is big enough for 4ppl and what was your opinion on the bathroom?

Yes, I think you could handle 4 people, though it would be crowded. There was a foldout couch and also a pull-down bunk above the couch. My granddaugher enjoyed the bunk (when you turn the light on up there, you see stars on the ceiling). We never opened the couch, but I would guess that in order to get to the bathroom from the bed when the couch is open, you would have to climb over the couch.

A lot of the cabins have a bath and a half but this cabin only had one bathroom with a tub/shower.

For an inside, though, it was a very nice room.

1936009398_Cabin7191.jpg.6157a38c25eabdf0e22a0ef5be38c638.jpg

I am one of those Platinum cruisers who doesn't have any kids and we always sail with other couples.

We have found there is more for us to do on a Disney cruise than other cruises we have been on. We go to relax, have fun, be entertained and laugh. We have found other cruise lines harder to find a place to sit and relax than on a Disney cruise. And rather stoic and boring compared to the Disney experience.

Lots of kids, you bet! But we do the adult things in the adults areas. And here's a secret.... Because there are more kids, it leaves better places and things to do for the people without kids.

My cruise on the Dream is getting very near, and I can't wait.

I can agree that there are nice adult only areas. However, I was traveling with my daughter and her family (my husband did not join us), so I stayed with them throughout the cruise. There was the day at Nassau when they went to the Sea Lion Excursion and I stayed onboard. I had trouble finding a quiet place to read since I didn't have a balcony. Other ships I have been on seemed to have more "quiet" places. I finally found the outside area of the Meridian bar which was lovely.

It is a wonderful thing that there are so many different cruise lines to choose from, each with its own personality. I'm enjoying trying them all out!

Ms.Mary Lou

Thank you for a wonderful recap of your adventure. My kids, grand kids, wife and myself will be sailing out Thursday on our first cruise every. Everyone is truly excited. Did you by any chance, see anything that you would recommend in Nassau that a rambunchous 2 yr.old grandson would like doing?

Sorry that I don't know -- since I didn't take an excursion, I didn't study what was available. I'm sure that others on this board could guide you or try the Cruise Critic Ports Discussion board.

I am glad you had such a good time you responded to my quesytion that i had asked and i thought you said your daughter was going to be in a cabin 7194 which i am staying in but it said she stayed in cabin 7690 i got really excited when you said it was really nice. Was it 7194 or 7690

I'll chime in and say that as much as I love DCL, I think it's a family/kids thing. There's very little action for adults. It may have been just the Dream cruise I was on (though I doubt it), but the kids were everywhere. It seems that Disney did a better job spreading out the young'ins on the older ships. If I wanted an adult/romantic getaway it wouldn't be on DCL.

I am glad you had such a good time you responded to my quesytion that i had asked and i thought you said your daughter was going to be in a cabin 7194 which i am staying in but it said she stayed in cabin 7690 i got really excited when you said it was really nice. Was it 7194 or 7690

I'm sorry that I posted the wrong information. I was in cabin 7191. I thought there was only one cabin between my cabin and my daughters as I knew we were unable to get them together. In actuality, there were 2 cabins between us. She was in 7690 which is right next door to 7194. They are the same cabin types and I am sure look the same. Here are pictures of her cabin. The view of the room was taken from the balcony, looking towards the door. There is a "drop-down" bunk above the couch. The couch also opens up as a bed. The balcony was quite large and the views were spectacular. You will love your cabin.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Mary Lou

1366190362_Cabin7690.jpg.66cb30afd13a3d1f9e3872c6af6c9186.jpg

1344879922_Balcony-Cabin7690.jpg.670693250c68be186180e923c5898fc1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We have traveled on many different cruise lines, in fact we are just off a Princess west coast cruise. We have used DVC points for a number of DCL cruises, with my son when he was young, but the last three were just me and my husband, including the September 2011 14-day WBTA. We will be on the 4-day Dream the first week in November.

As adults, we choose the 'few kids' season--anytime school has just started up again or a few weeks before a big break. There is usually a very small a smattering of kids and a number of toddlers. At these times we have never felt overwhelmed by children.

We choose late sitting dining which just about eliminates kids in the off season. We utilize the adult only deck space and enjoy the night clubs in the evening, especially the piano bar. We enjoy the shows, although we have seen most of them a few times by now (the best ones are those that stick to the Disney songbook rather than hokey original tunes). Our favorite place to relax is Deck 4 with the wooden loungers (we assume they have a similar deck on the Dream)--it's QUIET and a great place to nap and read, even though Minnie or Goofy will occassionally amble by for a picture with anyone interested.

We like the friendly Disney atmosphere and the good service (the mediocre food is another discussion). We have met some wonderful people aboard DCL, including those we stay in touch and plan to cruise again with.

Every cruise line and ship has its own vibe and personality. We don't travel exclusively with Disney but we certainly don't avoid it. Adults can have a relaxing and fun time.

Archived