artemis's farewell cruise

rav raver

l have a Balcony cabin on P@O Artemis's farwell cruise P102 due to sail April 12th 11 more days When l booked it l was told the ship was sold out in 17minutes and there was 400 people on the waiting list.Due to a progressive mobility problem l now think l shall be unable to travel.My insurance won't cover me and P&O won't give me a refund BUT they also won't allow me to sell my ticket.ls this fair? with so many people on the waiting list someone would be thrilled to get a last chance to sail on Artemis:mad:

Not so sure about that - we were booked on that cruise until last Friday, when we were given a "far too good to refuse" offer from P&O to not go on that cruise. It seems the cruise was overbooked.

Otherwise, surely cancellation needs to be covered by travel insurance. I have not heard of any other way of cancelling a holiday (private sale included), unless one person could still go with someone else.

I do not understand why your travel insurance will not cover you if you are actually unable to go - or could you go, if perhaps you bought a mobility scouter - people seem to use them about ships.

My travel insurance wouldn't cover me because the mobility problem l have which l disclosed when l rebooked my annual policy hasn't yet been properly diognoised so my policy wouldnt cover me for this problem.P@O have sent me an e mail saying they get lots of people wanting to cancel at the last minute and they say no to all of them other wise the ship wouldn't make as much money as it needs to to be commercially viable.l know this cruise was overbooked thats why l couldn't understand why they wouldn't buy my ticket back off me.Maybe it was because l had to pay a huge surcharge for going on my ownicon8.gif

P&O are permitted to refuse you a refund because you are choosing to cancel. They also have a no onward selling policy - so at least one name in the cabin has to be the same as on original booking.

The only thing you could try is to ask your TA if P&O are still offering passengers the chance to cancel due to the overbookings but, with just 10 days to sailing this may have been completed now.

Also, with just 10 days to go many of those who were waitlisted may have removed themselves from the list or be unable to go at such short notice.

It does seem unfair that your insurance company won't pay out for a deteriorating condition that you declared at the time of renewing your policy.

It may be worth checking out the option of hiring a scooter for the cruise - there is a company in Southampton who offer this service, and deliver to the ship, and I will try and find their details if you want - as this way you can still cruise and not lose out on this memorable trip.

Feebee_71

I am wondering if any symptoms were present at the time you booked the cruise. If not, our travel insurance policy would have covered us, as they take the medical situation at booking as their standpoint. Hence anything occuring within 6 months prior to booking is relevant, otherwise we would be covered. Our insurance is administered by AXA.

P&O's conditions of booking are quite clear, but they say that you would loose 90% at this stage, rather than the whole amount.

Must admit, we have risked a medical matter being cleared before taking a holiday in the past, but we would not have got to the stage of paying the residue if it were not sorted and covered.

At least the most you could loose is the cruise cost. Should you have had a medical incident that could be considered related to the condition e.g. a fall which left you in a very bad state, then that would not be covered and could come to a very hefty bill indeed.

Whatever happens, good luck with your attempts to clear up your problem, and also with the medical matter.

Barbara

You could of course not cancel and just not turn up on the day of departure. This may leave P&O with an empty cabin!.

Or you could go anyway and watch the resulting chaos as P&O find they have resold the cabin and the original occupant who did not officially cancel turned up anyway. :D:D:D

just joking, honest

Thanks to everyone that has offered me advise as to how l could get P@O to resell my ticket for Artemis's Farewell cruise which when l booked it was sold in 17 minutes and had a waiting list of 400 people.l really really wanted to go on this cruise but a mobility problem that l had declared to my insurance has very recently gotten so much worse and if you declare a problem to your insurance that is still under investigation you are not covered and l had no way of knowing how soon l was going to deterate but due to a post on my site "tring" told me P@O had given them a "too good to be turned down"offer not to sail on this cruise so armed with this information l asked P@O again to buy my ticket back off me and this time they said ok:D so thanks for that tring

Rav raver,

Glad to hear you have had success with selling your cabin back to P&O - which I am sure leaves both you and them happy at the outcome.

Shame you won't join us and I hope you get your diagnosis soon and will be able to find a way that will allow you to cruise comfortably in the future.

Feebee_71

Glad you are now sorted.

Must admit, I was a bit concerned for you going on the cruise and possibly needing to claim on your insurance for something that an insurance company could consider related to an uninsured condition. It is easy to think you will be ok managing with being uninsured for a specific condition, but insurance companies are extemely good at claiming other things are related and therefore not covered. I suspect they may claim that a mobility condition would put a strain on your heart or blood pressure - which could leave a heart attack or stroke uninsured!!

We were in one of the cheaper cabins, which presumably they will look to free up initially.

Hope your health condition is curable, or at least managable when it is diagnosed.

Rav raver,

Glad to hear you have had success with selling your cabin back to P&O - which I am sure leaves both you and them happy at the outcome.

Shame you won't join us and I hope you get your diagnosis soon and will be able to find a way that will allow you to cruise comfortably in the future.

Feebee_71

Oh Feebee how l wish l could join you on your wonderfull cruise.Please post lots of threads so l can see what l am missing

Oh Feebee how l wish l could join you on your wonderfull cruise.Please post lots of threads so l can see what l am missing

Hi Rav raver,

I will be doing a blog over on the P&O site (which is free to use from the ship) and will get on here when I can piggyback onto free wifi.

Keep a look out for the posts.

Feebee_71

Archived