Kenai Fjords Logistics

ArtM

I have found bits and pieces of this information with respect to the various alternatives for seeing Kenai Fjords, but I would like some help putting the information together.

Let's assume that we are going to arrive in Seward at 6 AM on the Statendam. I know that I can do a HAL 6 hour cruise tour and bus ride that will put us in Anchorage for a 6 PM or later flight.

The Captains Choice tour has been highly recommended. Can that be done on disembarkation day? Is there an orderly way of dealing with one's luggage during the tour? Does this tour finish in time to be transported to Anchorage that day? What is the arrival time in Anchorage?

If we decide to spend more money and do something like the Fox Island overnight package, the same questions, especially with regard to the transfer to Anchorage at the end of the tour.

I am interested in comments from anyone who has done one of these options, and what made sense in terms of scheduling flights out of Anchorage.

Thanks for your help.

Art

I have found bits and pieces of this information with respect to the various alternatives for seeing Kenai Fjords, but I would like some help putting the information together.

Let's assume that we are going to arrive in Seward at 6 AM on the Statendam. I know that I can do a HAL 6 hour cruise tour and bus ride that will put us in Anchorage for a 6 PM or later flight.

The Captains Choice tour has been highly recommended. Can that be done on disembarkation day? Is there an orderly way of dealing with one's luggage during the tour? Does this tour finish in time to be transported to Anchorage that day? What is the arrival time in Anchorage?

If we decide to spend more money and do something like the Fox Island overnight package, the same questions, especially with regard to the transfer to Anchorage at the end of the tour.

I am interested in comments from anyone who has done one of these options, and what made sense in terms of scheduling flights out of Anchorage.

Thanks for your help.

Art

You should be able to take the Captain's Choice Tour on disembarktion day. You would sign up for self-disembarkation. (This means you do not leave your luggage outside your room the night before, but rather roll it off yourself on when you get off the ship.) In my experiences, those who signed up for self-disembarkation were allowed to walk off anytime after the first announcement was made for disembarking.

Kenai Fjords will store your luggage for you while you are on the tour. They will also shuttle you from the pier to their office. (At least they did this back in 2008..of course check current policies.) In our case, their phones were out of service the morning we were to go on their tour, so we just ended up taking a cab from the pier to their office. (cost us $6 back then) Our instructions had been to call Kenai Fjords when we got off the ship and they would send their shuttle. With a 6:00 a.m. docking time, you can expect disembarking to be somewhere after 6:30 a.m. most likely. You will have plenty of time to make the 8:30 a.m. tour.

Thanks for your help.

Art

Actually, I don't see hardly any "Cpt Choice" tour reports??? It most certainly can be done on your disembarkment day. It will be up to YOU to get yourself off your ship in time. Last year, there was a shuttle bus, that picked up at the ship. There will be transportation irregardless of what was last years option.

I don't find Fox Island, any "highlight", you can see Seward and it's extremely costly for what you get.

Kenai Fjords tours will store your luggage, and will be able to make the Alaska RR, which will get you into Anchorage, about 10:15pm. As a guideline, this is not a good option for any flights before 1am. I believe there is one bus run in the evening, which would get you into Anchorage, an hour earlier, 9pm at the earliest, which you could consider a 11:30pm or later flight. You need a two hour window at Anchorage airport.

Archived