Entertainment on Marina

dougt1957

While I have never expected classical (or operatic) entertainment on Oceania, there have been instances of both in the shows. On last summer's Norway cruise there was a classical pianist and also a gypsy violinist (who clearly had classical training), and on a cruise a few years ago the assistance cruise director was a professional singer who has performed on Broadway as well as in opera, and she included both in a show she did.

As a classical musician myself, it bothers me to have classical music as elevator music but I realize that the average person doesn't have the same interest in it as I do.

We're in your boat so we just ignore the quartets who normally play sharp and the Italian opera singer we had on Insignia last Spring who not only sang flat but also spoke flat. We bring great CDs. :D

We were on the MV of the Marina and we thoroughly enjoyed performances by Nolan and Margaret, two of the assistant cruise directors. Nolan has a cute personality as a comedian and did a great job with "Mr. Bojangles." I told him that I thought he was as good as/better than the comedians on the David Letterman Show and I meant it. Margaret did a great rendition of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina." We went to every performance on the Marina whereas oftentimes we skip them on cruise ships.

The consistently best entertainment we've ever experienced was on Royal Caribbean's old Monarch of the Seas ship when it left L.A., cruised through the Panama Canal and relocated in Florida. The cruise was extremely reasonable and we didn't expect much but we were surprised by the quality of the meals, the entertainment and the ports. RC flew entertainers into/out of the various ports we visited. The last group to perform---the Drifters.

Archived