Cuban cigars

luchie

If you remove the bands that identify them no one can prove what they are.

I bring them back all the time and have not had a problem.

Wow that's really clever. I didn't realise it was so easy to fool those Customs folks.

For your information, if you remove the labels and no one can prove what they are, duh, you will end up getting them consfiscated, unless you can somehow prove that they are legal.

So far you haven't had a problem, you only need to get caught once.

I wouldn't count on it. We have made a big, big deal out of the Cuba thing (I'm not taking sides; just talking facts) and you can get yourself into trouble over this.

The only problem you'll have is trying to determine if they're real Cuban's or counterfits. Here's a link thet may help you http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/ here's another on how to spot fakes http://www.puroreycigars.com/fakes.htm

For those who are unsure about whether they will find a 'legit' Cuban, buy only from the LCDH stores. La Case Del Habano. ;)

Actually, I think the customs folks are concerned about more important things than cuban cigars. Duh.

I've been on 11 cruises in the Caribbean and not once did I ever get caught stepping on American soil with cuban cigars. I'm a cigar entrepeneur, and without getting to deep about this topic, I can tell you that CaviarGal is right. There are several methods similar to this one.

...Nothing like a cuban draw while the wake passes you by as you sip a very smooth Cognac from your balcony...Oh so "Priceless".

John

I've been on 11 cruises in the Caribbean and not once did I ever get caught stepping on American soil with cuban cigars. I'm a cigar entrepeneur, and without getting to deep about this topic, I can tell you that CaviarGal is right. There are several methods similar to this one.

...Nothing like a cuban draw while the wake passes you by as you sip a very smooth Cognac from your balcony...Oh so "Priceless".

John

As a Corrections Officer who must deal with lawbreakers on a daily basis, doesn't bragging and boasting about breaking the law bother you? Do you have a dual standard for those you supervise and for yourself?

Maybe I'm naive, but isn't smuggling against the law? Or is buying products banned by the US government, supporting a regime that denies human rights and denies freedom and democracy to it's citizens OK, just as long as you don't get caught. Buying Cuban cigars supports the Cuban Government and their policies. Suck up on that cigar and take a real good sip of that cognac, I'm sure that their policies won't bother you too much.

As a Corrections Officer who must deal with lawbreakers on a daily basis, doesn't bragging and boasting about breaking the law bother you? Do you have a dual standard for those you supervise and for yourself?

Maybe I'm naive, but isn't smuggling against the law? Or is buying products banned by the US government, supporting a regime that denies human rights and denies freedom and democracy to it's citizens OK, just as long as you don't get caught. Buying Cuban cigars supports the Cuban Government and their policies. Suck up on that cigar and take a real good sip of that cognac, I'm sure that their policies won't bother you too much.

jbond...I'm not a cuban cigar dealer (LOL). I enjoy a cuban cigar every now and then, and bringing back a few for me and my friends is not what I consider smuggling. You are in no position to lecture me about my employment. Don't hate, it doesn't become you. You have a lot of nerve to make mention of the law. Anyway, I don't owe you, or anyone else for that matter an explanation. I think you are reading into things too much.

John

So tell me jbond...Do you search all the threads looking for one that you can impose on in an effort to trash everyone's post. I see you did the same thing to caviarGal also. I imagine with your pompous attitude, you really know how to kill a good time.

To jcruise67 and caviargal, you should perhaps read this. I don't smoke, but even if I did, bringing back Cuban cigars would not be worth the fines.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/alerts/cuban_cigars.xml

You just haven't been caught, yet.

Pehaps most of us are just wussy, I don't bring back anything that may be illegal. Enjoy your cigars while you are still out of the country. I must add that I don't think it is right for you to encourage anyone on this board to do something that is illegal.

First of all Kathy, not once have I ever recommended that anyone do anything that is illegal. Nor do I encourage anyone to do anything that would ordinarily place someone in a compromising position. This thread started with great intentions, but became tainted when someone decided to suddenly become politically correct. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I checked these threads are for the members to read, and perhaps share their experiences. Thats what I did, and what everyone else has. Who the hell is anyone to judge. For pete sakes, you would think that we were planning to smuggle cuban refugees into America. Lets get a grip folks, and get back to the fun of posting.

John

I never said either of you suggested to anyone to bring back illegal goods. Just the fact that you both state that you bring them back and have never been caught is in itself encouragement to others to try it. I don't care what you smoke or how much you like it. It is illegal to bring Cuban cigars into this country and the OP and others who read this thread are entitled to know what could happen to them if they do smuggle illegal goods.

I hope you never get caught, but if you do, you can only blame yourself. I'm sure that US Customs is wise to the "change the band" trick.

I do not smoke cigars or anything else but know many that do enjoy a fine smoke now and again. It is an individual decision as to whether one wants to bring them into the country or not and take the risk of being caught or fined. As a veteran cruiser, I have often sailed with folks that brought a few cigars back for personal enjoyment. As adults, we are all responsible for our actions.

I hardly see it as a political statement or as encouragement to break the law.

Happy Ks...I totally understand your point that others may be encouraged to attempt to bring back the cigars, however, it is their own decision, and I know the accountability factor involved. I am completely responsible for my own actions and rightfully so.

CaviarGal...Youir exactly right, I can't count the numerous pax on cruises that bring back a few cuban cigars for their own enjoyment. It has been a historic ritual for as long as cruising existed, and will most definitely continue among thousands of pax from North America. I was just a little disgusted that someone would bring up a politically correct response which was unwarranted and uncalled for, especially when you make it a point to bring someone's professional occupatient into it. I travel with many in my group who share the same sentiment as I do with regard to a good cuban cigar. It is a rare commodity and luxury for many of us, so we smoke them for our personal enjoyment.

John

John

.....spoken like a true cigar aficionado, well done John ;)

Why thank you Bequia, I appreciate your sentiment. Its always a pleasure to acquaint with other aficianados like myself. I just finished a cuban Monticristo #2...One of the best I've had in a while. My buddy brought them back from Aruba. What a draw...

John

Archived