Cuban cigars

luchie

LMAO!!!

Since we're all confessing here, I sometimes continue to cross at cross walks even after the sign tells me to stop.....

Be very careful crossing the street LMAO and make sure you look both ways before entering the intersection. (LOL) I think thats against the LAW!!! (LOL) A violation of NJAC 2C. I hope you have enough bail money. (LOL)

Wow I can't beleave were 3 pages deep on Cubans! lol:D

Chuck,

Smoked a nice A.Fuente last night for St.Pats Day. Very spicy toward the end though. I still prefer the Cuban Monticristo #2 corona with a 40 ring. Oh boy, I can't wait to buy those cubanos. (LOL)

John

While this thread is still ticking along another tidbit of news for you cigar lovers; a couple of weeks ago a U.S. court gave the green light for a Dominican Republic cigar to be called and labelled a Cohiba. Now, any cigar smoker worth their salt knows there is ONLY ONE Cohiba in the world - it is made in Cuba. Incidently, this hijacking of a brand name does not and will not take place in any other country. Watch out for what you buy, there are counterfeits everywhere.

Peter, my understanding is the Cohiba brand in the States has been available for years. The cigar is made in the Dominican Republic. It was only 2 weeks ago the court ruled it was OK for this cigar to carry the Cohiba name. Someone had challenged the use of the name Cohiba- can't remember who- and the court ruled in favour of what I'll call the "knock-off".

Chuck,

Smoked a nice A.Fuente last night for St.Pats Day. Very spicy toward the end though. I still prefer the Cuban Monticristo #2 corona with a 40 ring. Oh boy, I can't wait to buy those cubanos. (LOL)

John

jcruise67 where are you going? I see I leave a day before you. I am going Western Caribbean this time and you? If your following me I'll leave a #2 under the 3rd palm tree on Pardise Beach for you. lol psssssst don't tell anyone!:rolleyes: I might get more than 2 like previously stated.:eek:

jcruise67 where are you going? I see I leave a day before you. I am going Western Caribbean this time and you? If your following me I'll leave a #2 under the 3rd palm tree on Pardise Beach for you. lol psssssst don't tell anyone!:rolleyes: I might get more than 2 like previously stated.:eek:

Sorry Chucksta...DW and I embark out of San Juan on the Golden Princess. We always do a pre and post cruise stay, so we're flying into San Juan 2 days earlier. That would be cool though, thanks for the thought My countdown is for the actual sailing, but I will already be there a couple of days before.

"Torch'em if you got'em buddy!!!

John

What is the next best after the Cuban cigars? There must be someone who is growing comparable tobacco and rolling them just as good. I can't imagine that no one has figured this out.

John

Many of the former Cuban cigar families left Cuba many years ago, taking the "Cuban seed" with them. Padron is one of these. There are many who feel the best cigars no longer come from Cuba. Personally, there are still a few Cuban cigars that are VERY VERY good. But, there are also many from Dominican Republic, Nicaruago, etc., that are the equal (or better) than some of the Cuban mades. We want the Cuban cigars because we can't get 'em.;)

Cigars, like fine wine or good food, are a very subjective thing. I say, go try a new one at least once a month and find out what you like.

PeterPan mentioned the Padron line. These Nicaraguan cigars are some of my favorite Non Cubans. Their Anniversary series are excellent, and even their standard line, the 2000's, 3000's and 4000's are great cigars and VERY reasonably priced.

However, the best cigars I have smoked to date are Cubans, with the Partagas line being my favorite.

Of course, I smoke these in International Waters ONLY, and would never DREAM of bringing them back to the US!

Ok...so my two favorite Cuban cigars are Cohiba and Partagas. What would you recommend from Padron? Or any other cigar maker? I am not a big cigar fan, I just usually get them when I'm in Europe or Canada. I don't think I've ever bought a cigar in the US.

John

I confess!!!

I smoked a few puffs off a Cuban cigar onboard, and I'll tell you, they REALLY are that good (Americans technically are not legally allowed to purchase or posses any Cuban product no matter where they are (Big Brother at work?) unless they have an educational clearance, are former Cuban nationals, educators, +, and only with US govt clearance), and I "smuggled" a banana from a St. Lucia banana plantation back home to my boyfriend, which I made him eat immediatly in order to conceal the evidence.:eek:

Aside from all else, the ban on Cuban cigars is pure BS. The only people hurt by this 40+ year Cuban embargo are the everyday Jane and Joe Cuban people. Don't fool yourselves into thinking otherwise. The embargo was put in place in order to pressure Castro's ouster. Well, doesn't look like that's working after 40+ years, does it? Now, its all a macho pi--ing contest. All that is happening is that the regular every day people suffer, while Republican CALIFORNIA Governor Arnie and pals fly to Canada where you CAN easily catch flights to Cuba and pose on the cover of Cigar Aficionado magazine bragging about how much the love Cuban cigars. The embargo is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in my era of American government, and shows our country's lack of empathy to the "commoner" (by which I mean the Cuban people), who always pays the price for rich men's egos.

I confess!!!

I smoked a few puffs off a Cuban cigar onboard, and I'll tell you, they REALLY are that good (Americans technically are not legally allowed to purchase or posses any Cuban product no matter where they are (Big Brother at work?) unless they have an educational clearance, are former Cuban nationals, educators, +, and only with US govt clearance), and I "smuggled" a banana from a St. Lucia banana plantation back home to my boyfriend, which I made him eat immediatly in order to conceal the evidence.:eek:

Aside from all else, the ban on Cuban cigars is pure BS. The only people hurt by this 40+ year Cuban embargo are the everyday Jane and Joe Cuban people. Don't fool yourselves into thinking otherwise. The embargo was put in place in order to pressure Castro's ouster. Well, doesn't look like that's working after 40+ years, does it? Now, its all a macho pi--ing contest. All that is happening is that the regular every day people suffer, while Republican CALIFORNIA Governor Arnie and pals fly to Canada where you CAN easily catch flights to Cuba and pose on the cover of Cigar Aficionado magazine bragging about how much the love Cuban cigars. The embargo is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in my era of American government, and shows our country's lack of empathy to the "commoner" (by which I mean the Cuban people), who always pays the price for rich men's egos.

I agree on the embargo thing. What a joke! You have a great persepective.

John

Personally I think this is an out-of-date rule that should be removed. I would think that in today's world, customs should be focusing on more important things, not whether or not I have some Cuban cigars with me.

I completely agree with a previous poster about China. For years I've tried to understand why Cuba is such an "evil" place, yet China is not. If we are so concerned about human rights everywhere, then Chinese goods should be on the illegal list. Can't see that happening though, places like the W* and K* marts would be in big trouble.

Illegal? Well what the hell isn't today? On my criuse in 2003. I just removed the bands and walked off the ship with a front pocketfull of Cubans in full view. For all they care, I could have left the bands on. I don't smoke them, I was just bringing them back for our dogsitter. The only concern the custom agent had was how much liquor we had. I claimed the 2 bottles I was carrying, but failed to mention the 5 gallons in my suitcase, not to mention the other gallon I had stashed elsewhere (use your imagination)!

Are our custom offical that worried about human rights? I think not! They should be more concerned with stopping the terrorist who come in by the handfuls in our country illegally. Oh, but if they were only trying to SMUGGLE illegal cuban cigars, then the USA would be alot safer place.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived