Alaska Railroad Seward luggage check-in

banditoo

We will be taking the 6pm Alaska Railroad train from Seward to Anchorage on the day we disembark in Seward. I believe that I have read somewhere that we can drop our luggage/check it in at the train station anytime after 1000 that morning. I don't see anything about this on the Alaska Railroad website. Can anyone confirm this? We have plans for some activity for the day in Seward and don't want to have to drag our luggage around with us for the day.

They usually are available from about 9am, with my experience including 2010. Luggage is stored in a back locked bin. You will not have any access to it until Anchorage.

The official time of opening is 10am, clearly stated on their web site. http://alaskarailroad.com/Reservations/DepotLocations/tabid/318/Default.aspx

I am hoping they will still do what you describe. I have seen the hours of opening on their site but I also see a message elsewhere on their site saying there is no luggage storage at any station. Not sure if that means we can't check our luggage in before 1 hour in advance of our train departure. I thought the simple thing would be to email and get an answer but they have not replied.

http://alaskarailroad.com/Reservations/BaggagePolicy/tabid/96/Default.aspx

I am hoping they will still do what you describe. I have seen the hours of opening on their site but I also see a message elsewhere on their site saying there is no luggage storage at any station. Not sure if that means we can't check our luggage in before 1 hour in advance of our train departure. I thought the simple thing would be to email and get an answer but they have not replied.

http://alaskarailroad.com/Reservations/BaggagePolicy/tabid/96/Default.aspx

This isn't "storage" it is bag check. As I mentioned, I have done this many times, always the same, including my last trip, last year.

Last summer, our luggage was not stored in any kind of back locked area or bin. It was in a makeshift tented area in the parking area. I don't remember if the area was permanent or not -- I just know that it was open to the air on the sides and that, while anyone could technically access it, the two young women working at the Seward station seemed on top of it. I don't know that I would consider it overly secure -- if someone wanted at our luggage, they certainly could've driven up, thrown it in the car, and driven off; however, it was just a bag of dirty laundry, so I wasn't overly concerned.

How far is it to walk to the train station from the Seward port? Is it walking distance? We will each have one suitcase on wheels and are used to lots of walking including hills.

About 1/2 mile.

Archived