Soda Card (Paid)/Poor Service

Kiln Wood

DH wanted a soda; it was very hot, and he was thirsty. We were in line waiting to play bingo. A lady two steps ahead of us also had a soda card. She hailed a waiter, he came to her, she showed him her soda card, he took her soda order, and then DH hailed him and did the same. Ten minutes went by, we saw the same waiter bring at least five cocktails to other people in the line, DH asked this same waiter where his soda was, and he said he'd right back. Another five minutes went by, and DH was even more thirsty. We're still in the long line waiting to sign up for bingo, this same waiter came back with three more cocktails, but no sodas for either the woman in front of us or DH. At this point DH and the woman in front of us demanded their sodas telling this waiter that they each saw all the cocktails he delivered to other passengers who had ordered these cocktails after they each had ordered their sodas; he then brought the sodas. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a soda card?

My daughter always has a soda card but usually goes to the bar herself except in the dining room where they are often waiting for her when we are seated...:)

Sorry you had this experience but I can see why they want to serve coctails first, extra Tips!!! But that doesnt make it right :(

Yes. Makes sense for them to do it. Sucks for us coke drinkers. But, to them, they are earning tips vs no automatic gratuity on the coke. You are last on the totem pole.

I grab a drink BEFORE I go to the show/bingo area OR I hand them a tip and ask them to please keep the drinks flowing. It works -- well. And, I don't mind doing it since they are saving me a trip to the bar.

In the showroom I order the fruit punch mix, and it comes right with everyone elses drinks, I have found that ordering sodas they seam to take longer.

Just a question, after you chastized the waiter several times, when in the line for bingo, could they taste the spit and fingers? that were put in the drinks?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the waiters actually have to go to an alternate location to get sodas, whereas the cocktails are available right there. That might be the only reason why there is a delay for sodas.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the waiters actually have to go to an alternate location to get sodas, whereas the cocktails are available right there. That might be the only reason why there is a delay for sodas.

No. When you walk up to the bar the soda is right there. They are used as mixers, after all.

Just a question, after you chastized the waiter several times, when in the line for bingo, could they taste the spit and fingers? that were put in the drinks?

I was a cocktail waitress for about 4 yrs when I was younger and I just have to say this is so urban myth... no one wants to get caught tampering with a drink and get fired or worse- sued. I mean, people shouldn't be jerks to servers- they are as human as you are... but I hope no one walks around thinking resentful servers are thinking up ways to pass along the plague or anything. They just go back to their friends and point at you privately and talk about what jerks you are and make fun of how your husband was checking out their butt and how stupid people from <New Jersey> (insert accent of choice) are. Then they bring you your soda... or drink... with a polite smile.

Kathy is the soda drinker and always gets the card.

We've not ever experienced any abnormal delay in getting her order filled at any venue aboard ship.

I was a cocktail waitress for about 4 yrs when I was younger and I just have to say this is so urban myth... no one wants to get caught tampering with a drink and get fired or worse- sued. I mean, people shouldn't be jerks to servers- they are as human as you are... but I hope no one walks around thinking resentful servers are thinking up ways to pass along the plague or anything. They just go back to their friends and point at you privately and talk about what jerks you are and make fun of how your husband was checking out their butt and how stupid people from <New Jersey> (insert accent of choice) are. Then they bring you your soda... or drink... with a polite smile.

It's not an urban myth, I guess it all depends on where you live :(

The 2 places I waitressed at in Philly, other waitresses/cooks would spit in your food/drinks if you got on their nerves. I have witnessed it :( I actually got made fun of because I wouldn't do it (its freaking DISGUSTING!) when a customer made me cry.

We got it on our cruise on the Freedom. We never had to wait like that. We would give them the card and we had a soda next minute. Maybe the service had something to do with where you were. Were you waiting for bingo on the LIDO or in the THEATRE? Maybe that had something to do with it.

We got it on our cruise on the Freedom. We never had to wait like that. We would give them the card and we had a soda next minute. Maybe the service had something to do with where you were. Were you waiting for bingo on the LIDO or in the THEATRE? Maybe that had something to do with it.

I agree with you- I think if you want a soda-- its better to get it yourself then use a bar waiter- it will just take entirely too long.

FOr the OP- it woulda been a lot faster if you went to the bar to get it yourself- the small glasses of soda you get would not have been worth the wait.

We bought them our first few cruises and we had two problems with them. In the morning on a port day, few bars were open and our cabin was in the front of the ship. It was fine at night when a lot of bars were open, but sometimes it was hard to find someone even selling anything but coffee in the morning. We never had a problem with service if we found someone, although all they gave you was soda in a glass. They wouldn't give you a can of soda if you wished to bring it back to your room maybe to have a little later. That meant if you were relaxing in your room, you needed to go back out, or add ice to the flat soda you brought back in a glass to the room a hour ago.

I think it is great for kids or someone who drinks a lot of soda. We also decided to keep track one cruise and found out that we really don't drink enough soda to justify it. The final straw for us was the cruise that we tracked it. If we had purchased all the soda we drank in 7 days, it would have cost us about $30.00 on our S & S card versus the $50+ for a soda card.:eek:

For us it was not cost effective

this will almost always happen. doesn't make it right...but is what it is....they are making tips off of the cocktails and make very little off soda cards. so you will always be last in line

DH wanted a soda; it was very hot, and he was thirsty. We were in line waiting to play bingo. A lady two steps ahead of us also had a soda card. She hailed a waiter, he came to her, she showed him her soda card, he took her soda order, and then DH hailed him and did the same. Ten minutes went by, we saw the same waiter bring at least five cocktails to other people in the line, DH asked this same waiter where his soda was, and he said he'd right back. Another five minutes went by, and DH was even more thirsty. We're still in the long line waiting to sign up for bingo, this same waiter came back with three more cocktails, but no sodas for either the woman in front of us or DH. At this point DH and the woman in front of us demanded their sodas telling this waiter that they each saw all the cocktails he delivered to other passengers who had ordered these cocktails after they each had ordered their sodas; he then brought the sodas. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a soda card?

yup.

it seems the roaming servers put those with soda cards on the bottom of the list. no income.

we just go to the bar. don't hold the card up until i order, though, cause your on the bottom of the list there too.

Yeah this is common. Happened to our friends and I recommended that they only get their sodas from the bar so that the waiters don't have to worry with it since they generally forget anyway. They had no idea that the waiters preferred mixed drink customers due to tips etc.

Never had that problem but I generally got my sodas from the same places and I still tip if they bring it to me so after a day or so of going to the same people I had my diet coke as soon as I sat in their areas lol I can see how in a place like the theatre they would put soda on the bottom of their lists though unfortunately.

I have found that servers are particularly non-responsive to kids with soda cards. I understand that kids can be an annoyance (not always) and there aren't extra tips attached to soda cards, but Carnival does charge for these cards and they shouldn't make the use of them overly difficult.

When my son wants a soda, I go to the bar to get it for him-- usually with a beer for myself.

We bought them our first few cruises and we had two problems with them. In the morning on a port day, few bars were open and our cabin was in the front of the ship. It was fine at night when a lot of bars were open, but sometimes it was hard to find someone even selling anything but coffee in the morning. We never had a problem with service if we found someone, although all they gave you was soda in a glass. They wouldn't give you a can of soda if you wished to bring it back to your room maybe to have a little later. That meant if you were relaxing in your room, you needed to go back out, or add ice to the flat soda you brought back in a glass to the room a hour ago.

I think it is great for kids or someone who drinks a lot of soda. We also decided to keep track one cruise and found out that we really don't drink enough soda to justify it. The final straw for us was the cruise that we tracked it. If we had purchased all the soda we drank in 7 days, it would have cost us about $30.00 on our S & S card versus the $50+ for a soda card.:eek:

For us it was not cost effective

Same here...sorta...over the course of our 9 day cruise I ordered a total of only 2 sodas...and they brought an entire can which was nice :) Gonna get on my high horse here and say that too many people drink way too much soda! And I see so many people on this board saying they buy their kids the soda card. Nothing wrong with an occasional treat but unlimited soda for a kid is just terrible. Ok, I'm done now :)

It actually seems to be getting better to me. It used to be very bad but it seems that the service for soda cards has gotten better over the years. Having said that I am sure it is ship specific and depends on the Food and Beverage Management and their influence. Either way, you have paid for it and already paid the gratuity; wait staff should honor your requests.

Archived