Longer waits on Embarkation Day?

millerboy88

Have recent cruisers noticed any longer waits than it used to be when going through security? I have read that they are now shaking water bottles, checking wine bottles, and opening cartons of sodas to check to see if alcohol is being brought onboard. Looks like this would cause huge back-ups in the security lines trying to search all those bags:confused:

They do not hand search all carryons. They X-ray it and if there is a bottle showing on the scanner, they will open it then. Otherwise you just take it and go, just like at the airport.

No extra backups to speak of on our last cruise in January.

We arrived at the port approximately 11am. Walked through the roped off sections and was at the check in counter before I had a chance to get all my docs out. Checked in, handed us our SS card, and a card with a number and to wait until it was called. Found a chair to sit in, put docs away into laptop backpack and about 5 minutes later, they called our number.

Walked to security, placed backpack on scanner, walked throught the metal detector and......... I got searched!:eek: I never get searched, ever.

They had me take everything out of my backpack, and if you know how a laptop backpack is set up, it has pockets everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE. I was probably about 10 minutes with this security person opening every hidden pocket taking everything out, putting it all back in and then we were on board. Cannot think of what they spotted in the backpack except for the bottle of wine that we are allowed to bring. And my little beanbag thingy that I use on the dash for my cars GPS since we were going to road trip after the cruise. He couldn't figure out what it was, even when I explained, he just shook his head. Whew!

Archived