?EXPRESS TRAIN VENICE TO ROME?w/LUGGAGE

dennbr9

Hello!

How is the Express Train from Venice to Rome with Luggage for a Cruise?? Looking at two LARGE Suitcases and two Carry Ons?

Probably staying in Maestra area near Train Station there.

Any experience with this would be helpful - Thanks!

I did Rome to Venice two years ago by train. Venice will be the hardest part. But still not easy even in Rome. We shipped cruise suitcases home from Rome and just took backpacks on the train to Venice. You will not find help so plan on packing around suitcases on your own. Just take your time and try not to get frustrated.

No good news for you here. Sorry. See if your hotel can ship them home for you from Venice. and just take a back pack.

We once traveled from Rome to Venice and back by train with five large suitcases and five small ones, which all had to be handled by two of us while the third adult took care of the child; it can be done. We found it easiest for one of us to get on the train and the other to stay on the platform and hand the bags up.

I'd also suggest reconsidering your plan to stay in Mestre. You're going through a lot to go to Venice, don't stop on the ten yard line, so to speak. Really go to Venice, a lot of the real experience of the place happens after the day trippers head out of town.

I'd also suggest reconsidering your plan to stay in Mestre. You're going through a lot to go to Venice, don't stop on the ten yard line, so to speak. Really go to Venice, a lot of the real experience of the place happens after the day trippers head out of town.

We stayed in Mestre a couple of times and it was convenient because every train that leaves Venice stops in Mestre....no problem finding a train.

The problem we did have was finding a restaurant near our hotel, which was near the train station. There are many more restaurants in Venice.

Going from Rome to Venice on the train is easy with luggage as long as you can hadle it yourself.When you board the car you have your seat reserved in you will find an area by the door for your large bags...put them there and loop with a combination lock(Magellan's or a good travel store) around them to the pole and each other,and then you can put your carry on above your seat or besides you.You will be fine.I am assuming you are on the Eurostar with reserved seating and set time.

There is no Eurostar in Italy. Eurostar is the cross channel train from London St. Pancras International to France or Belgium.

Actually, there are Eurostar branded trains in Italy, although not as many as there used to be. The term has become a somewhat generic way of describing faster or express trains. You can read what Trenitalia means by "Eurostar Italia" trains on their web site here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=83344021d0566210VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

Actually, there are Eurostar branded trains in Italy, although not as many as there used to be. The term has become a somewhat generic way of describing faster or express trains. You can read what Trenitalia means by "Eurostar Italia" trains on their web site here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=83344021d0566210VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

Hi All,

I was checking out the link provided. We are leaving Venice on the 25 june 2011. When I input that information it is giving me a time of 03:11 leaving Venice and arriving in Rome at 09:25. I know this is a silly question but does this really mean we are leaving Venice at 3am? :eek:

Italy has Eurostar. They are the "Freccia" trains, e.g. Frecciarossa, Frecciargento, etc. When you book online, they will show in ES* in the category, ES* = Eurostar.

You should find train from Venice to Rome at any hours during day. You shouldn't have any problems getting the tickets at train station without prebooking.

There is no Eurostar in Italy. Eurostar is the cross channel train from London St. Pancras International to France or Belgium.

WD

We took the high speed train from Venice to Florence (same train that goes on the Rome). I thought it was called the Eurostar. Check the Italian rail website.

We had one problem with the luggage. We boarded at the Venice main station, no problem with the luggage. However, when we returned to Mestre, we had to lug our bags down and up the undergound stairs (under the tracks). I am 63 and workout, and managed to carry two 45-50 lbs suitcases down and up, but it wasn't the high point on the trip.

Hello!

How is the Express Train from Venice to Rome with Luggage for a Cruise?? Looking at two LARGE Suitcases and two Carry Ons?

Probably staying in Maestra area near Train Station there.

Any experience with this would be helpful - Thanks!

We've done this :) We disembarked in Venice and traveled to Rome with cruise luggage. There were four of us, and we had quite a bit of luggage - we're not exactly light packers. We did end up having to reposition ourselves rather quickly at the station in Venice as we were waiting near the wrong track (bin). Otherwise, it all worked fine. While you are getting your own luggage on and off the train, it wasn't really all that bad as other than that you're only pulling it to/from a cab or other vehicle.

we are going to have to take a train from Rome to Venice for a pre-cruise 2 night stay is there a class where you can have you luggage with you. We will each have one piece of luggage...thanks

You can keep your luggage with you anywhere on the train. You'd have a little more room in first class ... but a significant upcharge for that room.

Archived