No simple way, right?

mitchpam

So we (DH and I) just booked a cruise in Nov. out of PortCanaveral. We fly into Orland the day before (arrive at 2:30). It seems from all I have read that there is no "simple" way to get to the port. Please tell me if all these points are correct:

1.Orlando airport is an hour from the port

2.Hotels in Orlando do not offer shuttles to the port, but do have airport pick-up services.

3.Hotels in Port Canaveral do not have airport shuttle pick-up.

4.Hotels in Port Canaveral offer shuttles to the port, but they charge a fee.

5.When we get back from the cruise and off the ship, we have to arrange for a shuttle to the airport (we fly out at noon).

So I guess I wonder what the heck we should do. Stay in Orlando, Port Canaveral, rent a car?? LOTS more research to do... if anyone has suggestions, I am open...

So we (DH and I) just booked a cruise in Nov. out of PortCanaveral. We fly into Orland the day before (arrive at 2:30). It seems from all I have read that there is no "simple" way to get to the port. Please tell me if all these points are correct:

1.Orlando airport is an hour from the port 45-60 minutes, depending upon traffic.

2.Hotels in Orlando do not offer shuttles to the port, but do have airport pick-up services. Correct

3.Hotels in Port Canaveral do not have airport shuttle pick-up. Have heard that a few do, but have not used them.

4.Hotels in Port Canaveral offer shuttles to the port, but they charge a fee. Not true for all - many offer free shuttles

5.When we get back from the cruise and off the ship, we have to arrange for a shuttle to the airport (we fly out at noon). Yes

So I guess I wonder what the heck we should do. Stay in Orlando, Port Canaveral, rent a car?? LOTS more research to do... if anyone has suggestions, I am open... What do you want to do the day before you cruise :confused:- probably arriving too late to enjoy much beach time.

Do a search for the Port Canaveral FAQ thread on these boards - lots of hotel, shuttle and rental car info. Lots of MCO/PC shuttle options for about $20 per person each way; many choose to rent a car one way for the convenience and flexability. Good luck! :)

You understand the question pretty well:

1.Orlando airport is an hour from the port

correct - but it is a very easy drive which makes renting a car a good option. You're arriving early and could have time to see a little of Cocoa and find a nice dinner. Your car chaices are Avis, Hertz, Budget, Enterprise and Dollar/Thrify - these have Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach locations and will shuttle to the ships.

2.Hotels in Orlando do not offer shuttles to the port, but do have airport pick-up services.

Well SOME hotels will pick up and return to the airport. Your option here can be to stay at a hotel that shuttles, return to the airport the morning of the cruise and use the cruise line shuttle to get to the port. Or book your own local shuttle.... I'd be factoring in my dinner plans here again . . .

3.Hotels in Port Canaveral do not have airport shuttle pick-up.

If there is one I don't know it ... as said, the airport is an hour away in round numbers.

4.Hotels in Port Canaveral offer shuttles to the port, but they charge a fee.

This varies. Some have free shuttles, some have a small fee for the shuttle and others have no shuttle and you need a cab - but the distances are small and the cost is not what I'd call a major factor. If you rent a car, return it in the morning and the rental agency will provide a shuttle to the port.

5.When we get back from the cruise and off the ship, we have to arrange for a shuttle to the airport (we fly out at noon).

Given your departure time I'd be leaning to the cruise line's shuttle (you can book only one way in my experience) or a local shuttle like Cocoa Beach Shuttle. I'd feel a little pressed for a car rental but others will tell you there's time for that too....

I'm a fan of the rent a car option - you can find a car for the day which will cost less than a shuttle even one-way. OTOH I just had friends who did the 'stay near the airport and use cruise shuttle' option. Dinner was delivered pizza . . .

if you ask two people their opinion on this one you'll get 5 recommendations! But I'll add that the drive from the airport to Cape Canaveral is super easy - exit the airport onto the well marked highway which leads directly to the port entrance; pass the port to the ONE road thru town where you'll find most of the hotels and all the car agencies. You really have to TRY to get lost.....

good luck

Thanks for the information. We are leaning towards staying at the Marriott Cocoa Beach. Sounds to me like a car rental would be in order since it is less expensive than the shuttles, we could go where we want for the day and evening, and we could get dropped right off at the ship after we drop the car off. I never even considered looking into a Carnival shuttle to the airport when we get back, good idea... I have read lots of posts, but it is so hard to sort through all this stuff, I appreciate the input.

I agree with Capt. BJ - ask two people and get five recommendations. It kind of depends on how particular you are about cost and hassle factor, and you are correct, there's no simple way to do it. See note*** below.

Your least hassle is stay at an aiport area hotel, and take a cruiseline shuttle or book a car service, (about the same cost as the cruiseline shuttle.) You can book an airport hotel with Priceline and just hotel-shuttle back and forth right there in the area. We stayed at the Airport Marriot, and walked to a Denny's type eatery for dinner. (I just don't remember if it was Denny's itself or something like it.) Next morning the shuttle driver who knew all the details took us to the airport, dropped our luggage and us in the pick-up area, and pointed us in the right direction. (Even easier, stay at the Airport Hyatt - right in the same building, just walk to your room.)

On return, take the cruiseline shuttle back to the airport, or book the car service round-trip.

Your most flexibility is renting a car and taking car of yourself. As others have posted, the drive is simple, (and the tolls are about $5.) Book a room in Port Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, (or Cocoa - least expensive location,) next day drop off luggage at port, then drop off the car and take the Rental Agency shuttle back...or drop off the car and have the Rental Agency shuttle take you and luggage into port. On the way out just take the cruiseline shuttle back and they should arrange to have you at the airport in time for the 12:00 noon departure of your flight.

***I have seen a couple hotels that offer a Fly-Sleep-Cruise package. The one that comes to mind is Hampton Inn, but I did see it at other locations. They have a contract with a shuttle service that 1 - picks you up at airport and drops you at hotel; 2 - picks you up at hotel and drops you at port; 3 - on debarcation, picks you up at port and takes you back to the airport. Your room fee includes this service for two people, and depending on the hotel, additional people were from $45 to $60 each.*** Maybe this is the least hassle of all, but you do have an rather early departure to be depending on an independent contractor that might be carrying a number of other pax. I would definitely call and talk to that contract shuttle service to make sure it can be done.

Good luck.

Maddle -

PS: I am in the same situation twice this year. First time we're taking a red-eye and arriving on day of cruise, then just taking first cruise-line shuttle of the morning. (Wish me luck.) Second time traveling with Sister and two young-adult nieces. We're doing the rental car/motel option, and trying to save a few bucks. As you said, no options are simple.

We had a roll call friend that flew into Orlando and stayed at the Country Inn & Suites Orlando Airport. They had the free airport shuttle and free breakfast incl with the room rate. The next morning they arranged with TravelLynx Shuttle to pick them up at the hotel and take them to the port and then picked them up after the cruise to go back to the airport. She said she was very happy with both the hotel and the shuttle service. Here is the link to the shuttle service and the hotel--

http://www.travelynx.net/

http://www.countryinns.com/orlando-hotel-fl-32812/florlair

Thanks Maddle and Hoosiercouple, so many options, and as you have said, opinions too.... but the more suggestions I hear the easier the decision making process goes... Kinda weeds out the "yup I wanna do that" and the "Nope, no way for me"... vacation is about relaxing and NOT hassling, so the simpler the better for me :)

Archived