Lodging - Old San Juan

M&T

I am looking for 2 rooms for $150 including fees and taxes. I am looking at Da House, Casa Blanca and Hotel Milano. Does anyone have any recommendations? We also want a quiet room. Thanks. Marlyne

Don't stay at Da House if looking for quiet. It is located over the Nuyorican Cafe. While we did not stay at Da House, we did visit the cafe looking for some salsa........ they had jazz that night and it was loud. Have read reviews for Da House also and many complain of loud music from the cafe below. It is in a great area tho.

Have spoken with others who stayed at Milano. Quiet and ok.

We stayed at El Convento (pricey) but really nice !

Not sure if you are looking for both rooms for $150 total ? or not.....good luck :rolleyes: - Old San Juan lodging is not known to be cheap.

Thanks. We are hoping for $150 for each room. Da House has some rooms for $100 and $120. I was concerned that it might be noisy. Their site describes some of the rooms as "close to the party." I assumed that meant noisy. Marlyne

The rooms are one for my sister and one for my husband and me. We will be there 3 night prior to a cruise the last week of January 2012. We are staying at the Intercontinental for 3 nights after the cruise. Thanks. Marlyne

The rooms are one for my sister and one for my husband and me. We will be there 3 night prior to a cruise the last week of January 2012. We are staying at the Intercontinental for 3 nights after the cruise. Thanks. Marlyne

We stayed at the Le Consulat for $125.00/ room last week. It is not the Ritz but close to lots of eating establishments. Just get a room not on the first floor and it should be pretty quiet. It is in the Condado area.

Sue

Thanks. We are really wanting in the Old San Juan area. My husband wants to take many photos. I know we could take a cab in, but it would be more convenient to already be there. Marlyne

If you are staying 3 nights and need 2 rooms....... why not rent an apt. or condo ?

check this out

http://www.vrbo.com/317511

There are lots of options to save $$ when staying multiple nights.....and a condo/apt/loft is one of them.

Not only will you get your "target" area but you will also get a kitchen which allows you to fix your coffee and/or breakfast while still in your jammies :) We have done this option many times and we even find ourselves fixing a picnic lunch (the large area around El Morro is a nice picnic spot !). We will usually ask our taxi driver to stop at a supermarket on the way in and pick up basic stuff. I make out a list ahead so as not to go overboard. Meals can get very expensive when traveling and this will also help in that dept. You will also get a living room/dining area which also gives you more space instead of a bedroom in a hotel.

Anyway, look around this website.....there are others (cyberrentals comes to mind) but sometimes you will find the same property on both sites....

Just another option to throw in the "mix" Hope this helps.

I suggested that to my husband, but he did not want to. I think he was worried about cleanliness and shabbiness. I will take another look. Thanks for the encouragement. Marlyne

Check out Howard Johnson Plaza de Armas. Located in the center of Old San Juan. It's an old building, but rooms were clean and staff very nice and helpful. Most rooms do not have windows, but the ones on the front of building have a small balcony overlooking the Plaza de Armas. We paid around $135 for one of the balcony rooms on the 3rd floor. Loved the location. Walking distance to places to eat, forts, bars, and the pier.

We just stayed at the SOFO Casablanca for one night after our cruise. We got our room onTravelocity for $99.00/night. It has a great location. The hotel was clean and nicely appointed, however our room a/c was not working properly. They moved us to another room and it was not working either. THey moved us finally to a suite. It was a lovely room with a bed room, and another room with sofa bed, and chairs and table. It had a balcony on the front of the hotel so we could go out and watch the happenings on up and down the street. We enjoyed it.

They were very good to take of our needs and even though we had difficulty, the stay was pleasant.

Also of note, the water in the shower was not very warm. There are no elevators, but they helped with luggage if you needed help. They also stored our luggage for us when we got off the ship until rooms were ready and we went out and enjoyed OSJ.

I suggested that to my husband, but he did not want to. I think he was worried about cleanliness and shabbiness. I will take another look. Thanks for the encouragement. Marlyne

I can pretty much tell you that a hotel for $150/night in old San Juan will not be a 4* experience with some being 3* or 2*....... some reviews such as the one from Darcy8 show you that it can be a toss up either way.

But, did you look at the pics of the property I linked ? You will pay an $80.00 cleaning fee at the end.....so the next person gets a clean place...... we have had wonderful experiences but of course there could be an exception to the rule...... check out some of the others on that website too.

Have fun in San Juan whatever you do :D

I have looked many times yesterday at the apartments and homes in Old SJ through vrbo. I am very excited by some of them. One that I especially like has had no reviews which makes me a little nervous.

On the Old town Sheraton, I have looked many times for it on hotwire. Since I have been researching, it has not been offered. The problem with Priceline is that it does not allow the choice of locaton of old town. I could bid for a 4* and get any number of other hotels. Have I missed anything in how to do it?

Thanks again. Marlyne

Can't help you with any questions regarding Hotwire, Expedia etc. as I do not use them. I prefer to book directly with the hotel. Know where and what I am getting. Same with my cabin on a cruise..... no guarantees and I request no upgrades. I choose my balcony cabin carefully and do not want an upgrade if it puts my at the very front or very rear of the ship.....even if it does mean more space. Guess I just don't want any surprises :rolleyes:

Archived