Milestone credit – on a chartered sailing?

Tom-n-Cheryl

Common sense tells me that the answer would be a NO, but knowing that our upcoming VH1 cruise for an ocean view (4-night Inspiration) is considerably more than our corner aft balcony (7-night Valor) it caused me to wonder!

I could just as easily CALL Carnival (Milestone desk), but where's the fun in that? :D

Cheryl will be receiving (at this point at least) her 50% OBC (based on her base cruise fare) on the Valor. I don't suppose it's even worth the call. What do you think?

Tom

My guess is that it would not fly, as what the charter group paid for our cabin is easily HALF what I paid the charter company!!

Tom

It doesn't count by price it counts by cruises........although I wish it counted by price:D

Let me ask a question that I think I know the answer to but I'm not sure.

My sister and I always sail together and will reach milestone (25) on our 1st cruise of 2012. I don't think we will get the milestone credit until our 26th cruise??? correct??? And on the cruise that we book useing the 25% credit that will be for each of our cruise costs, so that if we're paying $400 per person for the cabin the OBC will be for $200????

My guess is that it would not fly, as what the charter group paid for our cabin is easily HALF what I paid the charter company!!

Tom

My guess is you touched on the problem here. What the cruise price is, only part is the cabin expense, the rest is the mark up for the group activities.

Carnival would only credit the cruisefare portion of what you paid for the charter. Not what the cruise folks sponsoring it are charging you.

My sister and I always sail together and will reach milestone (25) on our 1st cruise of 2012. I don't think we will get the milestone credit until our 26th cruise??? correct??? And on the cruise that we book useing the 25% credit that will be for each of our cruise costs, so that if we're paying $400 per person for the cabin the OBC will be for $200????

LHP called and was able to use it on the 25th.

She also used one persons OBC on one cruise, then waited until another cruise to use the other. So, that way they had 25% OBC on multiple cruises, for their son and husband herself.

What Im saying is they allow you to choose which cruise you want the 25% off ... its doesnt have to be exactly on the 25th or 26th.

Common sense tells me that the answer would be a NO, but knowing that our upcoming VH1 cruise for an ocean view (4-night Inspiration) is considerably more than our corner aft balcony (7-night Valor) it caused me to wonder!

I could just as easily CALL Carnival (Milestone desk), but where's the fun in that? :D

Cheryl will be receiving (at this point at least) her 50% OBC (based on her base cruise fare) on the Valor. I don't suppose it's even worth the call. What do you think?

Tom

is that fat pig veejay with the hat gonna be there?

Tom

If I was milestone I could help you out but since I am not.. why not just call;) Then relay the information to the rest of us that will hopefully be milestone cruisers soon:p

Tom,

I'd say a cruise is a cruise is a cruise, and that you should be eligible for your milestone discount.

But because I am not a soothsayer or mind reader, I'd suggest you call the 1800-CCL-VIPS number and see what they say.

LHP called and was able to use it on the 25th.

She also used one persons OBC on one cruise, then waited until another cruise to use the other. So, that way they had 25% OBC on multiple cruises, for their son and husband herself.

What Im saying is they allow you to choose which cruise you want the 25% off ... its doesnt have to be exactly on the 25th or 26th.

I wasn't ever notified from Carnival about my "Milestone" OBC, but learned of it from these folks here at Cruise Critic. I waited until my 27th cruise to take advantage of the 25%. If, you break up your OBC, you still only get 25% of the fare for one person at a time. ie; if a couple earns their "Milestone" at the same time, and you break up the award, you'll get 25% of HIS fare on one cruise, and 25% of HER fare on the next cruise. In other words, you won't receive 25% of the entire cabin fare, less taxes and port charges, on two cruises. It's a bit hard to explain, but I think you've got it. You CAN wait until you take a more expensive cruise to apply the 25% however. You don't have to take it exactly on the 25th, or 26th.

"SKY"

I wasn't ever notified from Carnival about my "Milestone" OBC, but learned of it from these folks here at Cruise Critic. I waited until my 27th cruise to take advantage of the 25%. If, you break up your OBC, you still only get 25% of the fare for one person at a time. ie; if a couple earns their "Milestone" at the same time, and you break up the award, you'll get 25% of HIS fare on one cruise, and 25% of HER fare on the next cruise. In other words, you won't receive 25% of the entire cabin fare, less taxes and port charges, on two cruises. It's a bit hard to explain, but I think you've got it. You CAN wait until you take a more expensive cruise to apply the 25% however. You don't have to take it exactly on the 25th, or 26th.

"SKY"

Yes, I knew, sorry if I was not clear enough.

Tom

You just answered your own question. The charter company paid for your cabin, not you. You paid the charter company. Therefore, the answer is no.

You just answered your own question. The charter company paid for your cabin, not you. You paid the charter company. Therefore, the answer is no.

Just playing devil's advocate ... if you booked thru a TA you could still do it, and surely the charter company books thru a TA.

Hey - I can dream, if only temporarily !!! :D

Tom

Just playing devil's advocate ... if you booked thru a TA you could still do it, and surely the charter company books thru a TA.

That is completely different. With a charter, the charter company BUYS all the cabins on the ship, so they are actually paying for the cabins. The cabins are essentially in the name of the charter company and the cruise line has already been paid. Then you buy the cabin from the charter company. Any discount would go to the charter company, not you. With a TA, you're just booking a room through them, they're not paying for the room.

So basically, you're paying the charter company, not carnival, for the room therefore not entitled to any of the regular benefits. The charter company owns that cruise.

It doesn't matter who pays for the cabin.......the perk goes to the booking number and the name of that cruiser.......I have paid for others and they got the perk.

That's not the point. For a chartered cruise, the charter company owns that cruise and the booking, so the same benefits do not apply. Just like if I were to book a chartered cruise, I could not get my past guest discount. That's why you don't see chartered cruises on Carnival's website, because they don't own the cruise so they can't sell it.

You can pay for who ever you want and they can get the same perks on a regular cruise. But if you booked a chartered cruise, different rules apply. You can pay for who ever you want on a charter, and they will not get the perks.

Janey:

DJ and I both used our 25% ON our 25th cruise.

DJ is usually the 3rd person in our reservation and Carnival moved him to the 1st person (and I was 2nd) to get the full benefit.

Hubby was Milestone before they started the program...so we used his earlier in the year.....

You can pick which ever cruise you want to use it on. We have hubby's 50% set up for the Hawaiin cruise in 2012.... woo hoo....

Btw, IF you are paying $400 per person...you would get $100 and your sister would get $100. (cruise only...not port charges, taxes, fees or airline)

Tom call and find out........let's start the bet:D

I edited my post after you posted. Why do you think you don't see chartered cruises on the list of available cruises on Carnival's website? Because they don't own the cruise so they can't sell it. Only the charter company can sell cabins on that cruise, which eliminates the discounts or perks.

It doesn't matter who pays for the cabin.......the perk goes to the booking number and the name of that cruiser.......I have paid for others and they got the perk.

I just went to carnival.com and checked my next two bookings.

The Inspiration says "4 DAY WESTERN CARIBBEAN CHARTER" under itinerary, and then does NOT have the 4th tab ("My Billing") under the MY CRUISE DETAILS SECTION. Thus Carnival is clueless as to what I paid for the cabin. That makes sense.

The profit must be HUGE for one of these trips!! We are paying a premium approaching $2,000 for our one OCEAN VIEW cabin!! :eek::eek:

It will at least count towards my Carnival "cruise count", as verified with Carnival prior to my making the booking (not that it would have made a "hill of beans" difference anyway)! :)

Tom

About 2 weeks ago, we got David's 50% letter with his Reward Code.

It said to call 1-877-225-8477 to redeem.

The letter does not have any "exclusions" listed.

"Redeeming your Milestone Rewards credit is easy. First, book your next cruise by calling your travel agent or our Milestone Rewards desk. Please have your past guest number and your Milestone Rewards code at hand."

Archived