Elation 3/31/11 cruise Review with: Pictures, Firsts, and "SERIOUSLY?" moments

beachbum6264

I’m back, we spent the weekend wasting time and gas…. just put the top down and drove away. I love spring!

Cozumel… continued

We got settled in, paid our $2 (I don’t like tan lines around my wrist, so I always take the wrist band and wrap it around my bathing suit strap), and spent the day people watching, taking pictures, eating, drinking, and reading. We watched the kids on the water toys

DSCF2621.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg

(only saw one dad have to climb to the top of the iceberg to rescue his kid!)

Overheard something that made me think “seriously???”

(maybe someone can explain this to me….)

While I was taking some pictures I overheard a group of people who were upset that the US and Mexico do not change for Daylight Savings Time on the same date (I guess it’s just too much math for some people to add or subtract 1 hour in their head)…. anyway… one person had this explanation:

“The reason we change earlier now is because Obama quit smoking.” HUH???

(guess they didn’t know the dates for DST were set back in 2005)

Margaritas are not terribly filling, so we headed to the restaurant for lunch. I know that the waiters will bring food right to your lounge chair, but I have tried that, I’m not good at keeping all the sand out of my food.

We ordered guacamole (always some of the best I’ve had) and Nachos Paradise (and more margaritas)

DSCF2617.jpg

and watched the parrots

DSCF2616.jpg

Spent the end of the day at the pool, as you can see, I’m in my normal vacation position

DSCF2603.jpg

here’s the new bar by the pool, the new entrance is right behind it

DSCF2623.jpg

We left around 2:30 or so, grabbed a cab and went back for some Puerta Maya shopping

Thanks! I'm the one in the back on the right side, black dress and pearls, on Elegant Night.

My 2nd graders were happy, I brought them all a Cozumel post card! They loved it. I was showing them pictures, and showed them the towel animals. I told them I went to a class to learn how to make them, of course, they all wanted me to make one. At school, no towels :D. Well, one of mine brought in a bath towel and a hand towel today!!! She went home clutching her elephant :D.

You must be one heck of a teacher. That was just a really nice thing to do. :)

• 2 weeks later...

(Finally have some time to sit down and finish this… This past week has been rough, I live in southern Middle Tennessee, we were out of school for 2 days because of the storms and flooding – my heart goes out to those seriously impacted by the tornados. We were extremely lucky here, only thunderstorms and torrential rain. One of my previous students is at the University of Alabama, she is fine (scared, but fine). Prayers for those who are not.)

After some port shopping (my class was seriously impressed with the post cards I got them!) it was back to the ship

DSCF2648-1.jpg

A trip down “Carnival Canyon” (that’s the Destiny beside us)

DSCF2654-1.jpg

That night was the Mexican party night… another first for me! Dh is usually with me and he does not enjoy the line dancing involved (and he cannot resist an open table of food – we always have late seating, so we’re usually stuffed to the gills at this time and can’t eat again, so we avoid this.) K and I headed up to see what was going on…. and had a great time! Yep, line dancing was involved!!! We enjoyed the music and dancing, and off to bed, one more day left.

No more Midnight buffets, but this is still a work of art:

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0203-1.jpg

Final day at sea…..

We went to the dining room for breakfast today, had a great time talking with several others. The food was great, and I didn’t have to stand in line – which makes it even better to me. K wanted to do the towel animal class, so we headed off to wander and do that (it was sometime that day…. not sure exactly when). We learned how to make an elephant and a dog. Here’s my dog, you decide:

IMG_0214.jpg

We spent the rest of the day as I usually do, reading, drinking, sunning, eating…. repeat. The weather was beautiful, seas calm.

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

Before we went to dinner that last night, I made something for our room steward:

IMG_0243.jpg

I know I love the animals they leave for me….. thought I would return the favor!!

One of our tablemates shared a bottle of bubbly with us all tonight, a nice way to say good-bye

IMG_0251-2.jpg

We enjoyed great food and company at dinner each night. Yes, it’s not 4 star restaurant food, but it’s pretty darn good for as many people as they serve on a daily basis. I’m amazed at how well run the dining service is. I know those waiters work harder than I want to work.

This picture about sums our week up:

IMG_0131-1.jpg

Putting off packing as long as possible – we decided to do the self assist, I’ve never done that before, dh doesn’t like to lug stuff. I’ve only got one small rolling case and a backpack. Easy peasy.

The last day…..

We were up fairly early (for vacation), and it’s a good thing. We had planned on getting some breakfast before we headed off the ship, but they called our deck first for self assist… off we went at about 7:30. Grabbed an elevator and we were in line to leave…. SERIOUSLY… you DIDN’T KNOW you had to have your Sign and Sail card to get off the ship? REALLY? You’re going to hold up a line because you can’t be bothered to LISTEN to the announcements that have been made over and over….

Finally off the ship and in line for customs. Right behind the “I didn’t know I had to have that card… no one told me” group. One member decided the line next to us was moving faster, so she slid under the ‘ropes’ and was promptly asked to move back. She REFUSED??!! Argument ensued. Great way to teach your children, who are watching everything, how to follow rules and how to respect others. She WOULD NOT get back in the other line, until the big security guard (with a stick and a gun!!) came up. We stood in line a few more minutes, “that” group was next, and they pull out their customs forms…. SERIOUSLY, you’ve waited until NOW to fill them out?? All I can say is “Karma”. Some people……

We were through customs and headed out to wait for the shuttle back to the MicroTel. Walk across the railroad tracks and hang out for a few minutes.

DSCF2658-1.jpg

One last look at the Elation.

DSCF2656.jpg

A short trip back to the hotel, dropped right behind the car, throw the suitcases in the trunk and we’re headed back home.

Another Fun Cruise done, and I’m hoping K. is ready another soon. I am hoping somehow Mobile continues to be an option for cruising, either with Carnival or another line. It’s an easy drive (I have a huge fear of flying after a very bad experience), but NOLA is not that much further.

Random shots:

Since K has never cruised before she never had the thrill of dragging an uncomfortable life vest up to the deck, standing in the hot sun until everyone is there, and praying that you aren’t the one standing beside the idiot drunk that ‘s gonna blow that damn whistle! So…. I made her pose for this:

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0030-1.jpg

Slide (never made it on there, one day!)

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0233-1.jpg

Well, if you’ve made it this far, thanks! I enjoy reliving the cruise as I write a review. If you have any questions, just ask. I had a great time, although a 4 night cruise is just not enough for me. Now counting days until our Legend cruise….. unless someone I know decides she does want to sneak in a summer cruise!

Smooth sailing to everyone…..

beachbum6264

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Taking our very first cruise on July 9, from Mobile, on the Elation...7 night. I am ecstatic to see pics and hear about your trip! So excited that we can hardly wait. It is going to be a GREAT time. :D

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. My DH is a K-12 principal, my DIL teaches 2nd grade, and I taught 8th grade English in a former life, so your perspective is spot-on for us! DH and I are sailing on the Elation 6/27 and are also very sad to see Carnival leave Mobile. I hope we'll have other options if the company doesn't reconsider. Enjoy your summer!

We are going on the Elation on July 9 too! We are just wanting a relaxing beach day. Can't decide on Paradise Beach, Mr. Sanchos or Nachi.

Can't decide on which snorkel to do in Grand Cayman either or weather the drive to Dunn's River Falls will be worth it or not. Loved the review. Any other suggestions about the boat or ports?

Oh, how I've enjoyed reading your reviews! We have a group of us cruising on August 22 and, after reading about your fun times, simply can't wait for our trip. I laughed out loud when you talked about some of the kids you saw and how the teacher in you came out. 4 out of the 10 of us are teachers, and I can just see us doing (or wanting to) the same thing. I hope our trip is as much fun as yours was!

Tina/Ohio

Oh, how I've enjoyed reading your reviews! We have a group of us cruising on August 22 and, after reading about your fun times, simply can't wait for our trip. I laughed out loud when you talked about some of the kids you saw and how the teacher in you came out. 4 out of the 10 of us are teachers, and I can just see us doing (or wanting to) the same thing. I hope our trip is as much fun as yours was!

Tina/Ohio

Thanks!

:D You should have been on our Holiday spring break cruise... 8 teachers! And our 'teacher voices' did get used that week! Enjoy your cruise

Your review was great. Thanks for all the info.

I am another of your neighbors...we live in Lebanon.

We are going on the 4 night out of Mobile this summer. We will have 4 boys with ages ranging from 10-15 so I believe they will love Paradise Beach. Just one question. I have read that some beaches in Cozumel are clean sand well out into the water and others are very rocky and rough once you get in the water. How would you classify Paradise? If it is rocky, is it bad enough to require swim shoes?

Thanks

Your review was great. Thanks for all the info.

I am another of your neighbors...we live in Lebanon.

We are going on the 4 night out of Mobile this summer. We will have 4 boys with ages ranging from 10-15 so I believe they will love Paradise Beach. Just one question. I have read that some beaches in Cozumel are clean sand well out into the water and others are very rocky and rough once you get in the water. How would you classify Paradise? If it is rocky, is it bad enough to require swim shoes?

Thanks

If you stay on the far right side (as you are looking at the water), the beach is not too rocky. The farther you get toward the pier the rockier it gets. I guess that's why all the water toys are where they are! I'm sure they'll have fun.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your excellent and detailed review. We are leaving this Saturday (7/16) on the Elation and my kids and I enjoyed reading your information and seeing your pictures. We are so excited to go on our first cruise!!!

Oh....and I am a 3rd grade teacher and DH says I use my teacher voice all of the time! LOL!! ;)

Thank you for your excellent and detailed review. We are leaving this Saturday (7/16) on the Elation and my kids and I enjoyed reading your information and seeing your pictures. We are so excited to go on our first cruise!!!

Oh....and I am a 3rd grade teacher and DH says I use my teacher voice all of the time! LOL!! ;)

I hope you have a wonderful time! Don't teacher voices come in handy?? :D Even a good LOOK works!

Warning: Cruising is very addictive. Be ready to be researching your second cruise while you have time before school starts!

I really enjoyed reading your review and looking at your Elation pics! We are going on our first Carnival Cruise (2nd cruise ever) in just 9 days! We are also about a 6 hour drive from Mobile and I hate that we will only have this one opportunity to sail with them before they leave the port as eliminating travel expenses is a huge savings!

I really enjoyed reading your review and looking at your Elation pics! We are going on our first Carnival Cruise (2nd cruise ever) in just 9 days! We are also about a 6 hour drive from Mobile and I hate that we will only have this one opportunity to sail with them before they leave the port as eliminating travel expenses is a huge savings!

I am still hoping that SOME cruise line will pick up Mobile. I sailed out of Mobile 3 times and LOVED how easy it was. I can't imagine what it will do to the Mobile economy - hotels, taxis, shuttles, restaurants.... they are all going to be hurting. There was a rumor that NCL was looking at Mobile (according to the shuttle driver, take that with a few grains of salt..... on the rim of a margarita glass). But we can hope.

NOLA is not that much further.... and fun, too!

• 4 weeks later...

Great review beachbum!! It is sad to know this will be our last Mobile trip....It is totally easy to access in and out not to mention 2:45mins from tha house......Thanks for such a good review......

You know the Holiday was a small not so glamorous ship but boy was it fun......good lil party boat.. and can't wait too see the new pool at Paradise:D

Archived