Elation 3/31/11 cruise Review with: Pictures, Firsts, and "SERIOUSLY?" moments

beachbum6264

Pictures, Firsts, Random Thoughts, and some "SERIOUSLY????' moments:

Wed. 3/30/11

I learned a few things in the month before Spring Break:

1) When you go to the doctor and your blood pressure measures 160/110, they make strange noises.

2) It is possible to start a phone conversation with K saying, “Hey, what are you doing for spring break?” me saying, “Nothing, guess I’ll stay home this year.” And end with “Wheee…. We’re going on a cruise!!!”

3) #2 above helps #1!!!!

So began our Spring Break 2011 cruise on the Elation. This was K’s first cruise…. I’ve been trying to get her to go, and finally talked her into it (because your 22 y/o daughter should NOT cruise before you do, it’s just wrong!) It’s fun cruising with a ‘virgin’, you kind of get to see things through new eyes.

We left home (in middle Tennessee) on 3/30 …. In the rain…. It took 300 miles but we finally managed to drive out of the rain and into partly cloudy. K read and napped while I drove (mentally keeping track of how many cars like mine I spotted…. Drove a little over 800 miles and the grand total of spottings………………………………….1. ) Stopped at Bates House of Turkey (really) for lunch (a tradition for us, we’re usually on the way to the beach and have stopped there for lunch for years, best turkey sandwich ever)

DSCF2574.jpg

We stayed at the Microtel in Saraland. Great hotel – clean, and they have a park and shuttle service. Better yet, they’re in walking distance to Wentzell’s!!! Oysters for dinner, vacation has begun.

DSCF2580.jpg

3/31 – LET THE CRUISE BEGIN!

We woke up to more partly cloudy, but sunny afternoon in the forecast, that’s good enough for us. Downstairs for the free breakfast (nicely done) and settle in to wait for the shuttle.

DSCF2582.jpg

(yep, that’s the 1 allowed bottle of carry-on wine allowed peeking out of that bag. Conundrum, if you must know).

The shuttle picked us up a little after 11. Quick drive to the port, eyes peeled for that first funnel spotting….

Well, not funnel, but lifeboats count, right????

IMG_0006.jpg

There’s the funnel!!!!!

IMG_0008.jpg

Soon we had tipped the porter (I know that sign outside says tipping is not necessary, but I think a couple of dollars is not out of line (and besides, I’d rather have my luggage wind up on the ship – not in the bay), and heading into the terminal.

Someone is a little excited! :

IMG_0013.jpg

Yay, an Elation review. Thanks for posting. So excited to read the rest! :)

Ditto.

I sure hope you got a towel animal every night.....

(I would hate to see another cruised ruined) :D

Looking forward to the rest as we are booked on the Elation this fall.

Embarkation:

Smooth. That’s all I can say. This is the 3rd time I’ve gone out of Mobile, and it’s always been smooth. There was a little glitch when I was checking in, the agent couldn’t get my stuff to ‘save’ on the computer, but instead of having me stand there while she got someone to help fix it she just wrote down all my info and sent us on our way. We left the hotel right after 11, and were on board by 12:15. Ahhh….. I’ve missed that ‘boing’ sound! Anyone have it for a ringtone???? I’d love to hear that when someone sends me a text…. Anyone want to share???

We took our time heading up to deck 10 – K. has never been on a ship before, so we had to stop and take pictures everywhere (OK, I had to take pictures, too! I take pictures on every vacation, even if I’ve taken the same pictures before)

First view:

IMG_0031-1.jpg

looking down

IMG_0016.jpg

and on up to deck 10 to Tiffany’s for some lunch

IMG_0019.jpg

and wandering around taking random pics

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Guess this sums it up:

IMG_0039.jpg

Yay, an Elation review. Thanks for posting. So excited to read the rest! :)

Hope it lives up to expectations (they better be low!!)

Ditto.

I sure hope you got a towel animal every night.....

(I would hate to see another cruised ruined) :D

Looking forward to the rest as we are booked on the Elation this fall.

For SOME people we talked to (or rather, listened to and walked away quickly) - that WOULD ruin their cruise!

Ahhh... memories! Can't wait for our next and unfortunately last cruise out of Mobile..

Here's hoping some other line pays attention to an open market for ships that sail full every time.

Working on this, in between stuff I have to do at home (for some reason dh wants food at night, and there's no Leonardo around to help me :mad:)

Just wondering why you said this. Will there be no more cruises out of Mobile?

Carnival is pulling out of Mobile as of October (I think the last Elation out of Mobile is somewhere around the middle of the month??). Elation will move to NOLA. DARN (cleaned that up nicely, huh?? ;) ) It's an easy drive (6 hours) for us, and a great port to sail out of. Hoping some other line will step up and move in

We went down to our cabin (R97, ocean view on starboard side, Riviera deck ) right on time at 1:30. I don’t really care where my cabin is, as long as I’m cruising, I’m OK. Never spend much time in there, but do like to have some natural light, and love to be able to just watch the waves. Riviera deck is great for that since it’s so low. For those that wonder about these things: Not much noise, heard a few kids running and screaming once, but the teacher in me came out and I might just have hollered something along the lines of “HEY, ENOUGH”. It got quiet. Teachers have power!!!

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Then back up on deck for sail away, Good-bye Mobile……

IMG_0056.jpg

Sailing down the bay, you realize that Mobile is a working port

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

And then…. K’s first sunset at sea:

IMG_0100.jpg

next up, dinner for ….. how many????

Thanks. I'm looking forward to more of the review and pictures. I sailed the Elation in November, 2005. We were scheduled for the Ecstasy then, but hurricane Katrina changed all that. The Conquest went to Galveston (still is there until next fall) and replaced the Elation's 7-day route. The Elation for a while replaced the Ecstasy, and the Ecstasy went to NOLA as a hotel. I'm not sure why Carnival didn't just send the Elation to NOLA back then, but it does not matter -- The Ecstasy and Elation are essentially the same ship (at least back then they were). I just got back from the Royal Caribbean Voyager OTS, and in some ways I prefer the smaller Elation size ship. I see the Elation still has the slide at the main pool rather than moving it to the back as the Ecstasy did. Looks like it does have the adult serenity area though (relatively new for Carnival).

We were also on this cruise...and guess what...

Your picture in Tiffany's...has my wife and daughter in it...lol... on the left hand side of the picture, on the left side of the column.

How cool :+)

Hope you had as much fun as we did!

Hope you don't mind that picture being here... copy it for yourself if you want, and let me know if you want it down (some people don't like their random pics out there)

We had a great time... one cool thing about 2 sea days...is sleeping in... which I never seem to do on vacation... Did it ALOT this vacation..

as far as the picture... keep it up..I find it VERY COOL that they are on there...very small world... :D

Wondering which ports you went to, your pictures are wonderful thanks for sharing...... we are going to have 6 people in our group and are going to late seating at dinner and was wondering how fancy we need to dress , we are all pretty casual people ............it is a 1st time cruise for some of us any info about the elation would be helpful...........Thanks again

We were booked on this 3/31 Elation cruise until Tuesday morning when we had a death in the family & had to cancel. I am reading your review with a bit of sadness in my heart; not for the death (she's doing her own cruising in style right now!) but for us!

Soooo...keep it coming so I can "cruise vicariously" thru you!

We stayed at the Microtel in Saraland in Feburary and loved it. So convenient!! They even let my daughter & friends, who drove down in the middle of the night, park and ride with us. VERY nice folks and I sure hope Mobile gets another ship to keep them busy!

Keep it coming. I'll grab an old DOD glass, filler up and pretend I'm cruising!

Karen

Thanks for the info -- Aug. will be our first (and Last) cruise out of Mobile. BTW the Port of Galveston is adding new cruise line (and I think y'all would like Galveston!) It can be a fun port town.

Wondering which ports you went to, your pictures are wonderful thanks for sharing...... we are going to have 6 people in our group and are going to late seating at dinner and was wondering how fancy we need to dress , we are all pretty casual people ............it is a 1st time cruise for some of us any info about the elation would be helpful...........Thanks again

We were just a 4 night, so we just went to Cozumel. I've done this route before, also been to Calica (once) and Progreso (twice), too. Had a ball at all of 'em!

Dress is pretty much what you want, seen it all: jeans, shorts, capris, sundresses, skirts/tops.... whatever you are comfortable in! I like skirts and capris, so that's me most of the time. One night is 'elegant' night, dressy - everything from nice church dresses to full out prom dresses.

We were booked on this 3/31 Elation cruise until Tuesday morning when we had a death in the family & had to cancel. I am reading your review with a bit of sadness in my heart; not for the death (she's doing her own cruising in style right now!) but for us!

Soooo...keep it coming so I can "cruise vicariously" thru you!

We stayed at the Microtel in Saraland in Feburary and loved it. So convenient!! They even let my daughter & friends, who drove down in the middle of the night, park and ride with us. VERY nice folks and I sure hope Mobile gets another ship to keep them busy!

Keep it coming. I'll grab an old DOD glass, filler up and pretend I'm cruising!

Karen

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you can book another soon.

Will get back to writing the review later this evening... work interfered with it today!

Just wondering where in Middle TN you are? I'm in Shelbyville.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you can book another soon.

Will get back to writing the review later this evening... work interfered with it today!

Just wondering where in Middle TN you are? I'm in Shelbyville.

OMG! Small world! I grew up in Tullahoma. My parents and youngest sister still live there. :)

For whoever asked, Charleston is actually much further away.......

Glad that you seemed to enjoy the Elation - we have been on her twice in the last year. We currently live 2 hours from both Mobile and New Orleans......sad to see that we are losing Mobile as an option though.

Archived