Just off the Enchantment...rescued 12 Cubans last night!

My understanding of this if they are picked up by the coast guard prior to reaching land, they are sent back. If they make it to land before any authorities get them, they are allowed to claim asylum. Technically, the cruise lines are foreign registered so a transfer to the authorities would have to occur prior to them leaving the ship (ie: the transfer couldnt take place on land). That would explain the one port captain not allowing the ship to dock until the transfer was complete.

Chudely, I think the humane thing would be to pick them up and hope they are lucky enough to stay, then be left out in the ocean, with food and water.
I understand that, but they risked their lives in the first place trying to get here. They'd gotten that far only to be picked up and sent back. In the pic's, their boat looked to be in pretty good shape by what I could see and they may very well have made it. I just feel bad for them to have gotten that far only to be sent back. I wonder if they were asked first if they needed the help? If they wanted to be be picked, ok then. I guess if they hadn't, they would have been paddling away from the ship.

haha - I have a good zoom on my digital camera! I was on deck 9 just aiming down at them. Probably would have been better if I were on deck 5 where most other people were watching from.

Chudley - I hear what you're saying. It's sad that they wanted out that badly and will just be sent right back. But trust me it appeared that they definitely wanted help. Like I said, the waters were so rough that day - the ship was rocking a lot and a big storm was on its way. It started pouring rain about an hour after we rescued them. So I think they were happy to be found. But yes their boat did appear to be in good shape. But just to see a small boat like that out in the middle of nowhere in such rough seas was strange and scary. I'm glad we found them.

And I did hear some passengers saying they hope the crew knew how to deal with these people - what if they were hostile. But they kept them somewhere and gave them food and water. We never saw them onboard.

haha - I have a good zoom on my digital camera! I was on deck 9 just aiming down at them. Probably would have been better if I were on deck 5 where most other people were watching from.

Chudley - I hear what you're saying. It's sad that they wanted out that badly and will just be sent right back. But trust me it appeared that they definitely wanted help. Like I said, the waters were so rough that day - the ship was rocking a lot and a big storm was on its way. It started pouring rain about an hour after we rescued them. So I think they were happy to be found. But yes their boat did appear to be in good shape. But just to see a small boat like that out in the middle of nowhere in such rough seas was strange and scary. I'm glad we found them.

And I did hear some passengers saying they hope the crew knew how to deal with these people - what if they were hostile. But they kept them somewhere and gave them food and water. We never saw them onboard.

We were on deck 5 and saw the whole thing unfold up close and personal-including the cuban men throwing black plastic trash bags overboard as our ship approached...hmmm. Most of the folks around us concluded that, actually, the 12 cubans were NOT happy to see us as we most likely foiled their drug smuggling efforts.

It had been suggested that if the cubans didnt want help they would have simply "paddled away". I certainly dont aim to demean that thought, however, it seems a bit difficult for a small boat to out-row a cruise ship...The more likely scenario is that once the men knew they were spotted by the ship they knew they were screwed so they got rid of their contraband and boarded.

Despite the many posts that denote sadness and heartbreak in response to the idea that the men will be sent right back to Cuba after working so hard to escape its important to realize the possibility that the men might not be so innocent. Regardless of how much one wants to believe that these men were innocent and only trying to escape the horrible confines of a communist country the stronger argument is that, based on their actions not in conformity with excitment at being rescued (ie throwing bags overboard), these men were acting in bad faith and were, in fact, up to no good.

Don't know how Cubans would be exporting drugs?????:confused:

Maybe they knew the consequences , and were dumping their personal effects, and id.

Cubans are not of a violent nature, they live in a dictatorship, and know what happens to people who commit small misdemeanors.

They are desperate to get out of the country, don't get me wrong.... they love their country with a passion, but the living conditions in every aspect are bad.

The Cuban people are wonderful..... but not their dictator 'Papa".... Helms Burton law didn't help much either! or the fall of the russian economy!

Thanks for the pics:)

Sorry Corrado - I guess I didn't see everything you did. I thought it was sad. And I sort of disagree - how did they think they'd make it all the way to the US...I think they were hoping to be rescued. You saw how rough the seas were...there's no way they would have made it and I'm sure they knew that.

My question is that in a situation like this, what happens to their little boat? Do they just let it float away?

Without those little rafts having lights, I don't know how they aren't run over by these gigantic ships. Or maybe they are!

I have so many mixed feelings on this thread. Who knows what they were throwing overboard? Drugs? Possibly so. Personal possessions? Possibly so. I know I will be flamed big time on this. Jimmy Carter allowed all Cubans who set foot in America to remain here, and that still is our policy. But how about people from other countries? I know they are here for political asylum. But what about the people from others countries? I know now the Russian people are free (ie Lithuania and Poland) but they were not always and they had no right to come to this country. I understand why the ship stopped to pick them up, and certainly I would never want anyone to be in a boat afloat with no help, but there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. Florida has a huge Cuban population, and I accept that, but I don't necessarily feel that they, above every other country, should be allowed to come to the US. Ok, let the flames begin. This is JMHO. Sorry, if I offend some people, but my ancestors weren't able to come here and still aren't unless they win a lottery.

Katie

On our first cruise in 1992 we were told on a bridge tour that ship officers are not very happy to come upon "rafters" from any country, because it takes a lot of time and maneuvering to pick them up. However, it is a matter of law that ships pick up people on the high seas.

I would have thought, because of the "wet foot, dry foot" law, the ship wouldn't be allowed to bring them to port, but would have to off-load them to the Coast Guard at sea. I am surprised they were brought into the port.

Yes we just watched their little boat sail away. We didn't do anything with it but watch it disappear in the distance.

Katiel53 - I'm not so sure how I feel about all of this either. I hear what you're saying!

Hey I was on the Enchantment 3/5 as well..that was pretty amazing that we picked up Cubans. It was my first cruise, and I have to say that the Enchantment made me want to go back for more...an amazing crew as well as a great ship! I thought the entire ship was hanging off the side when Marc announced the Cubans were boarding. :)

dandelion - I had a great time on the Enchantment too. Marc was a great CD wasn't he? He's off for a vacation now though - that's what he said on the last night.

I had read a few reviews of people saying the Enchantment was really showing signs of wear and tear but I completely disagree...thought she was beautiful! Can't imagine how great she will be after the stretch - I'd love to go back on to see!

dandelion - I had a great time on the Enchantment too. Marc was a great CD wasn't he? He's off for a vacation now though - that's what he said on the last night.

I had read a few reviews of people saying the Enchantment was really showing signs of wear and tear but I completely disagree...thought she was beautiful! Can't imagine how great she will be after the stretch - I'd love to go back on to see!

Have to agree - there wasn't any signs of wear that I could see...well, the elevator buttons were faded but I'm not sure if it was the JD and coke or just that they were faded but the ship was amazing. :) I would definitely go back again...I was apprehensive when I read a lot of the comments of the wear but really - it was a beautiful ship. Marc was great, as well as was Sorin, our waiter. The staff was amazing...I just couldn't say enough about how well treated me and my sister were...RCI did a great job on our trip!! I just miss it and am peeling like its out of style. :(

I would think with today's times that RCCL would be somewhat cautious to go near unidentified boats/vessels due to security issues. I know its' not very humanitarin but that's my thoughts...

I agree - in fact I had heard the cruise ships weere no longer supposed to pick up rafters/boat people. They were to observe and call the Coast Guard for Rescue. Guess this is not the case.

After all a little boat made a big hole in the USS Cole. Sad that we need to think about things like this these days

I believe this has happened on Disney before also. I feel sorry for these men when they are returned to Cuba.

I hope terriorists never realize if they put themselves in a ramshackle boat that they can come aboard ships easily though. Of course you can't not pick up stranded folks at sea, but could terrorists ever use this as a means of getting aboard a ship?

We were cruising passed Cuba last October. While sunning on the deck, the man on the next lounger said to me "Is that a row boat with 2 men in it"? I looked & said "yes, either they're coming out to sell us cigars, are defecting or going to launch a rocket at the ship". I was just kidding, but I guess they were really defecting. They never did get close enough to us. Maybe another ship picked them up.

Archived