Who do the porters work for?

Laszlo

These guys are all unionized and I will keep my thought as to what I think of them to myself. Having said that tip or no tip they can damge your luggage just as much as the airlines, which happened to us in January where they crushed in a corner of our harder large pc of luggage and you could stick your finger right through to the inside.

Needless to say I was some pi$$ed!

Thanks

I've seen how they can really toss your luggage around. Since they don't work for NCL I guess they could care less. Is their anyway to hand carry all your luggage on after going thru scanners?

Thanks

I've seen how they can really toss your luggage around. Since they don't work for NCL I guess they could care less. Is their anyway to hand carry all your luggage on after going thru scanners?

If it can fit through the x-ray scanners you can carry it on. Be aware that this is limited to "carry-on" size luggage.

PE

If it can fit through the x-ray scanners you can carry it on. Be aware that this is limited to "carry-on" size luggage.

PE

Great, maybe will just take two carry on's each

We are docked on Pier 88 on the Jewel, having breakfast before we leave the ship. We are in the Italian restaurant which is used for overflow seating for the buffet and have a great view of the Port side of the ship. We are watching the ship bunker, take on fuel when I look over to Pier 90 with the Carnival ship on the opposite side of the pier.

So I'm basically looking at the pier and I'm watching the fork lifts on the mid level of the pier drive back and forth with metal baskets of baggage when a fairly large suitcase falls off or out of the basket .

Forklifts continue to drive by the bag, some avoid it, some clip it on the side for a good 10 minutes. Then a forklift without a basket comes by and pushes it along with it's front. Guy never stopped to pick the bag up while in my view.

Your friendly porters in action.

Not that this one example is how all bags are handled but I never put anything I can't be without in checked bags.

The porters work for the passengers:).

They are most assuredly in a union at the NY port. Most likely employed by the Port Authority. Nevertheless, they work for the pax.

No, they're not employed by the Port Authority.

Their paychecks are signed by Ports America (the terminal operator).

Google it.

In my 3 cruises out of the NYC area I've never had a problem with the porters. In March 2010 on NCL Gem we tipped the guy $20 for 3 heavy bags and he really took care of us. Got us through the security line and the check in line without a problem. I guess it's who you get and how you treat them

Given what I've heard on this post it sounds like you need heavenly intervention for your bags to arrive intact, without getting attude and without costing a small fortune. I personally never had a problem in Miami, though I know of a whole basket of luggage that went swiming while being put on the ship.

If I ever get into a heated discussion concerning tips or some such thing, I want you to remember my name, It's Fred, Fred Flintstone. What ? Thought I would say James something, did't you. Actually, those who know me refer to me as Sam, from Burn Notice. We buy our shirts from the same guy.

NY was the only port we've ever been in where the porter told us how much to tip him as he picked up our luggage!

Myrna

The same thing happened to us at the Newark Airport when we returned from our cruise. We arrived and since I had to use my walker, my husband needed a hand with our bags. The porter said he wanted $10 before he would pick them up. We had little choice so we handed him the ten dollars. We were not familiar with the airport and thought that we had to go some distance to the baggage counter. However, to our surprise, he picked up the bags, walked through the doors across a few feet to the baggage counter. Boy did we feel stupid!

We are docked on Pier 88 on the Jewel, having breakfast before we leave the ship. We are in the Italian restaurant which is used for overflow seating for the buffet and have a great view of the Port side of the ship. We are watching the ship bunker, take on fuel when I look over to Pier 90 with the Carnival ship on the opposite side of the pier.

So I'm basically looking at the pier and I'm watching the fork lifts on the mid level of the pier drive back and forth with metal baskets of baggage when a fairly large suitcase falls off or out of the basket .

Forklifts continue to drive by the bag, some avoid it, some clip it on the side for a good 10 minutes. Then a forklift without a basket comes by and pushes it along with it's front. Guy never stopped to pick the bag up while in my view.

Your friendly porters in action.

Not that this one example is how all bags are handled but I never put anything I can't be without in checked bags.

Forklift drivers are not porters...If I am not mistaking they are longshoreman....

It just dawned on me that I can bypass the porters if we go directly into the parking garage at the port in NYC and hand carry down all of our bags. I'm I correct?

Thanks

I'm under the impression that the porters and forklift operators are all teamsters which is a pretty powerful union in NYC. I always sort of laugh about people telling you to tip them $1 or 2. They make more of an hourly wage than most of us even going on the cruise. And they can usually care less about your baggage from the way I've seen them treat it.

It just dawned on me that I can bypass the porters if we go directly into the parking garage at the port in NYC and hand carry down all of our bags. I'm I correct?

Thanks

Incorrect. Unless your luggage is no bigger than airline carryon size (so that it can fit through the hand luggage xray) you have to hand it over to the porters on the checkin level one flight down from the parking deck, even if the first thing you do is park your car and take the luggage downstairs yourself.

Edited by njhorseman

I've never tipped them and never had a problem. They are always in too much of a hurry for me to even feel there is an opportunity to tip. My one bag and a case of soda quickly goes from sidewalk to cart and they want to move on to the next customer asap. I am amazed by the stories I read here. :confused:

I'm under the impression that the porters and forklift operators are all teamsters which is a pretty powerful union in NYC. I always sort of laugh about people telling you to tip them $1 or 2. They make more of an hourly wage than most of us even going on the cruise. And they can usually care less about your baggage from the way I've seen them treat it.

They are not teamsters they are ILA. Probably just as powerful though.

True they make more an hourly wage than most of us BUT they only get paid when they work.

Currently (and since around last November) there are only two ships a week leaving from NYC. And since they work on a shape up basis many of the junior guys don't work at all during the winter months.

They are not teamsters they are ILA. Probably just as powerful though.

True they make more an hourly wage than most of us BUT they only get paid when they work.

Currently (and since around last November) there are only two ships a week leaving from NYC. And since they work on a shape up basis many of the junior guys don't work at all during the winter months.

Stop confusing things with facts.